Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 07:23 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,202 times

Advertisements

move new orleans and cincinnati to tier 3 and tampa, san diego and portland to tier 4. the former two are much older and culturally more important. none of the latter three meant anything 40 years ago. neither did atlanta or phoenix, but portland ain't atlanta and san diego ain't phoenix.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:23 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,972 times
Since I Didnt want to start a new thread. and this Thread was started before the economic downturn, about 2 years ago, alot has changed in some peoples views of American Cities.

Heres My Tiers

Tier 1a (International Recognition)
New York City
Los Angeles
Washington DC

Tier 1b (Some International Recognition- Super National Cities)
San Francisco
Chicago
Boston
Miami
Atlanta

Tier 2 (Super National Cities - Regional Importance)
Houston
Detroit
Seattle
Philadelphia
Dallas
San Diego
Las Vegas

Tier 3 (Regional Importance-Other Factors that hold back from being Tier 2)
Charlotte
Baltimore
Denver
Phoenix
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Portland, Oregon
Raleigh
San Jose
Austin-San Antonio

There may be more IDK but this is what I think are the ranks of 2009.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:17 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
The only reason San Antonio has that high of a population (within city limits) is because of irrelevant political boundaries. If you look at the metro statistics for population and economic power of San Antonio, you will realize it is in the correct tier. Please stop having such a Texas-centric viewpoint.

It's comprable to Portlands and Clevelands metro, so with nearly 2.1 million people, it should be ranked in that tier group. OMG forgot about this thread, lots of fun!

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 11-08-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Since I Didnt want to start a new thread. and this Thread was started before the economic downturn, about 2 years ago, alot has changed in some peoples views of American Cities.

Heres My Tiers

New York City
Los Angeles
Washington DC

San Francisco
Chicago
Boston
Miami
Atlanta

Houston
Detroit
Seattle
Philadelphia
Dallas
San Diego
Las Vegas

Charlotte
Baltimore
Denver
Phoenix
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Portland, Oregon
Raleigh
San Jose
Austin-San Antonio

Actually Dallas and Houston very much have international recognition. If your basing this off recognition than Las Vegas should be Tier 1 along with San Francisco and Chicago.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:57 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,972 times
Quote:
Actually Dallas and Houston very much have international recognition. If your basing this off recognition than Las Vegas should be Tier 1 along with San Francisco and Chicago.
I chose the list on more than just recognition. Population, politics, history, and so much more

I know Dallas, Houston, and Las Vegas have alot of Internation Recognition but alot more people have no clue where these cities are located in the USA. Dallas and Houston can easily be Tier 1b cities to me because they have very strong economies, I think stronger than all of the other cities in that catagory.

But Houston is only one or maybe two trick pony. Of the 29 Fortune 500 companies in Houston only two have nothing to do with Oil, Continental Airlines and Waste Management.

Dallas with its Diversified economy has more national recognition than international because of the show.

Las Vegas is just a Two trick pony with Gambling and Prostitution

Old 11-08-2009, 12:35 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,186,734 times
Quote:

Heres My Tiers

New York City
Los Angeles
Washington DC

San Francisco
Chicago
Boston
Miami
Atlanta

Houston
Detroit
Seattle
Philadelphia
Dallas
San Diego
Las Vegas

Charlotte
Baltimore
Denver
Phoenix
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Portland, Oregon
Raleigh
San Jose
Austin-San Antonio

Austin and San Antonio are two different metros. Some day they will be considered in one CSA, but they will never be in the same metro.

I would definitely agree that there are a few IDK's. A lot of changes have happened in the past few years much less the past ten. It's kind of hard to determine a cities importance during a recession and there are huge population and economic shifts going on throughout the country.

Well here would be my guess:

Tire One:
New York
Washington
Chicago
Los Angeles

Tier Two:
San Francisco-Oakland (if you include San Jose and the Silicon Valley, then it would be moved up to tier one)
Houston
Boston
Dallas-Fort Worth

Tier Three:
Miami
Atlanta
Philadelphia
San Jose
Seattle

Tier Four:
Denver
San Diego
Phoenix
Minneapolis-St. Paul
Detroit

Tier Five:
Austin
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Columbus, OH
Portland, OR
Baltimore
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Las Vegas
San Antonio

Tier Six:

Charlotte
Nashville
Indianapolis
Louisville
Jacksonville
Salt Lake City
New Orleans

Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:

But Houston is only one or maybe two trick pony. Of the 29 Fortune 500 companies in Houston only two have nothing to do with Oil, Continental Airlines and Waste Management.

Dallas with its Diversified economy has more national recognition than international because of the show.

Las Vegas is just a Two trick pony with Gambling and Prostitution
I really do not care that you put Houston or Dallas in the 2nd tier (which I disagree with). But I must comment on your comment about the so called one trick poney thing.
1. That one trick pony is POWERFUL. Much more POWERFUL than what most cities that you put in your 2nd tier have. That needs to be taken in consideration.

2. Houston has more than oil as well. It is one of the top medical cities in the nation. Top port cities in the nation and a fast growing technology sector as well. Also, what do you mean because of the show? Did you forget that it is a huge financial center, fashion center, trade center, transportation center, technology center?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:06 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,839,547 times
Quote:
That's only looking at Fortune 500 companies. It doesn't take into consideration all of the companies in other industries that that not Fortune 500, Compaq (now HQ obviously) and all of the places supporting it, NASA and all of the places supporting it, etc. In addition to the glaring fact that Houston's largest employer is actually the Texas Medical Center (a hospital/research/academic business district that is larger than most cities' downtowns). Not trying to downplay the huge energy industry presence, just saying I don't think it's a one-trick pony at all considering everything I've pointed out.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:32 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,186,734 times
Quote:

That's not really true. If you where to have said energy (which involves way more than just oil), than I could see your argument. Relient Energy, El Paso Energy, CenterPoint Energy (just to name a few) as well as several major natural gas and petroleum companies also make up Houston's energy business. Then there are also a few miscellaneous companies such as Sysco and KBR. But either way, if Houston has 27 fortune 500 companies, only second to New York, more than Dallas and Chicago combined (just the cities not the metros), and most of those companies are energy related, I think that would say something the importance and economic power of the energy industry wouldn't you?

Although, I would still put it in a tier two bellow Chicago, New York, LA, and Washington, but I'm not sure any of use have the means or knowledge to determine where Houston and its importance of energy (which the Houston drilling, piping, and the oil and gas equipment companies alone have a have a huge impact on the international oil and gas industry), health care, and NASA (which some of the biggest technological advances in the 20th century have come in large part trough technology of space exploration). From what I've read, even some of the greatest experts in geography and global commerce have trouble on where to place Houston on a global scale. So in other words, Houston is probably the the biggest question mark (as far as American cities) as to where it belongs on a national and global scale.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-08-2009 at 01:53 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 02:18 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,061,765 times
Quote:

Heres My Tiers

New York City
Los Angeles
Washington DC

San Francisco
Chicago
Boston
Miami
Atlanta

Houston
Detroit
Seattle
Philadelphia
Dallas
San Diego
Las Vegas

Charlotte
Baltimore
Denver
Phoenix
Indianapolis
New Orleans
Portland, Oregon
Raleigh
San Jose
Austin-San Antonio

LOL!! Houston ranks above Atlanta by far. Also, where is Minneapolis - St. Paul? The area's GDP is far greater than most of the cities you listed (it will surpass Detroit within a couple years). It also has far more Fortune 500 companies than the majority of those cities. There are obviously numerous other factors that place the Twin Cities well above most. Nice try though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City