Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs. New Orleans
New Orleans 48 39.67%
Atlanta 73 60.33%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In terms of built form, the commercial heart of Buckhead is edge city-suburban. No question about that. An area can be within the city limits and still have a suburban form.
Technically its not suburban.I say Buckhead is a mix of both.Its not quite defind as suburban or city but it has strong elements of both.
An edge City is what it is.Not a suburb nor is it suburban. Sure if you use older cities as a model,but Buckhead has clearly outgrown suburban status it has maybe 10 years ago.
3 types of Edge Cities:
Boomers – The most common type, having developed incrementally around a shopping mall or highway interchange.
Greenfields – Having been master-planned as new towns, generally on the suburban fringe.
Uptowns – Historic activity centers built over an older city or town (sometimes a satellite city).

New Orleans is one of the very few major cities WITHOUT an edge city.Considering how healthy those cities are,thats a negative aspect.Has nothing to do with how desirable city life is.Has everything to do with growth from the core.A core in which is highly lacking in amenities in New Orleans.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Technically its not suburban.I say Buckhead is a mix of both.Its not quite defind as suburban or city but it has strong elements of both.
An edge City is what it is.Not a suburb nor is it suburban. Sure if you use older cities as a model,but Buckhead has clearly outgrown suburban status it has maybe 10 years ago.
3 types of Edge Cities:
Boomers – The most common type, having developed incrementally around a shopping mall or highway interchange.
Greenfields – Having been master-planned as new towns, generally on the suburban fringe.
Uptowns – Historic activity centers built over an older city or town (sometimes a satellite city).
The entirety of Buckhead is a mixed bag, consisting of a small, older commercial district, an upscale residential neighborhood, and an edge city-type commercial district (it would be categorized as a boomer according to your list). When talking about Buckhead, most people are referring to the commercial heart of the district which is the largest part experiencing the most growth, which has much more in common with, say, Tyson's Corner than with downtown Atlanta. So when people say that Buckhead is suburban, I completely understand where they are coming from as they are referencing the built form of the commercial district.

Quote:
New Orleans is one of the very few major cities WITHOUT an edge city.Considering how healthy those cities are,thats a negative aspect.Has nothing to do with how desirable city life is.Has everything to do with growth from the core.A core in which is highly lacking in amenities in New Orleans.
I don't really know of any cities NOLA's size that has a true edge city. Do Jacksonville, Richmond, Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham, OKC, etc. have edge cities?

Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
The entirety of Buckhead is a mixed bag, consisting of a small, older commercial district, an upscale residential neighborhood, and an edge city-type commercial district (it would be categorized as a boomer according to your list). When talking about Buckhead, most people are referring to the commercial heart of the district which is the largest part experiencing the most growth, which has much more in common with, say, Tyson's Corner than with downtown Atlanta. So when people say that Buckhead is suburban, I completely understand where they are coming from as they are referencing the built form of the commercial district.

I don't really know of any cities NOLA's size that has a true edge city. Do Jacksonville, Richmond, Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham, OKC, etc. have edge cities?
The difference is that Tysons Corner is NOT D.C.
Contrary to what the other poster said,its not seperated from Midtown.They run into each other..Its not constant density all around but they are definitely connected.

Buckhead IS Atlanta.Tysons Corner is an unincorporated area.Its not a typical suburban community.
Tysons Corner is much further way from the core of D.C. as well.
15 miles almost.Buckhead is 8 Miles
Its more a less has no real affiliation with D.C.
Anyway this is why I disagree with it being said as suburban.It is suburban-like has srburban qualities,but overall its not suburban.Its more city because it is in a city and its proximity and interaction with the city core makes it less suburban.

I thought Nola was more comparable to Nashville or Charlotte.I mean I know its smacker than Charlotte but its closerto it as a contemporary than Birmingham.Jacksonville maybe.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
The difference is that Tysons Corner is NOT D.C.
Contrary to what the other poster said,its not seperated from Midtown.They run into each other..Its not constant density all around but they are definitely connected.

Buckhead IS Atlanta.Tysons Corner is an unincorporated area.Its not a typical suburban community.
Tysons Corner is much further way from the core of D.C. as well.
15 miles almost.Buckhead is 8 Miles
Its more a less has no real affiliation with D.C.
Anyway this is why I disagree with it being said as suburban.It is suburban-like has srburban qualities,but overall its not suburban.Its more city because it is in a city and its proximity and interaction with the city core makes it less suburban.

I thought Nola was more comparable to Nashville or Charlotte.I mean I know its smacker than Charlotte but its closerto it as a contemporary than Birmingham.Jacksonville maybe.
City limits has nothing to do with this, as it is an arbitrary designation. I'm talking about built form, and the built form of Buckhead's commercial district is really no different than Tyson's Corner. Both have been/are improving in walkability, however, which is a plus.

And I wouldn't even say Charlotte has a true edge city. Ballantyne may technically qualify, but it doesn't have one of the most recognizable features of edge cities--a large retail development.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
City limits has nothing to do with this, as it is an arbitrary designation. I'm talking about built form, and the built form of Buckhead's commercial district is really no different than Tyson's Corner. Both have been/are improving in walkability, however, which is a plus.

And I wouldn't even say Charlotte has a true edge city. Ballantyne may technically qualify, but it doesn't have one of the most recognizable features of edge cities--a large retail development.
yeh but Buckhead's built form is closer to other parts of Atlanta than Tysons. Tysons is disjointed from D.C.physically.Its 7miles farther from the city of D.C. core than Buckhead is from Atlanta
Thats why it fits a more suburban profile than Buckhead.In fact Perimeter is more like Tyson.s than Buckhead.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
yeh but Buckhead's built form is closer to other parts of Atlanta than Tysons. Tysons is disjointed from D.C.physically.Its 7miles farther from the city of D.C. core than Buckhead is from Atlanta
Thats why it fits a more suburban profile than Buckhead.In fact Perimeter is more like Tyson.s than Buckhead.
You keep making this distance argument which isn't even relevant whatsoever; I'm not sure why you're so stuck on that. Either you're intentionally deflecting or are failing to comprehend my point, which is only about the BUILT FORM, BUILT FORM, BUILT FORM of Buckhead's commercial district which is very much the same as that of any other edge city. It doesn't matter if it's within the city limits, like Uptown Houston, or outside city limits, like Tysons Corner.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
You keep making this distance argument which isn't even relevant whatsoever; I'm not sure why you're so stuck on that. Either you're intentionally deflecting or are failing to comprehend my point, which is only about the BUILT FORM, BUILT FORM, BUILT FORM of Buckhead's commercial district which is very much the same as that of any other edge city. It doesn't matter if it's within the city limits, like Uptown Houston, or outside city limits, like Tysons Corner.
Can you not comprehend that its BUILT FORM is different from Tyson because it is BUIT closer and more connected than Tysons is to DC?
Im stuck on that because thats what Im telling you as to why Buckhead is NOT suburban.You are stuck on that it is suburban more than not.
If Tysons Corner was 8 miles closer to D.C. would it be more or less suburban?My answer is less.
The distance has a lot to do with it.Tyson's Corner you actually feel like you are not in the same city because their is a huge INTERSTATE vs streets with somewhat connectivity to other parts of the city Atlanta to Buckhead.
You can ride a bike from Midtown to Buckhead.
You cant do that from D.C. to Tysons Corner on the interstate.Piedmont RD from Downtown will get you to Buckhead.Same is true with Peachtree where the both intersect into each other in Buckhead
Northside Drive will also take you to Buckhead from Downtown
Every suburban area I know of is mostly accessible mainly by interstate.not surface roads.Its a seamless built environment.Sure there a gaps but were talking blocks,not JUST by miles of low level development residential neighborhoods.
A suburban area is geographically and culturally split from the core city.Hence a suburb.You may disagree but this is how I see it.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Can you not comprehend that its BUILT FORM is different from Tyson because it is BUIT closer and more connected than Tysons is to DC?
Im stuck on that because thats what Im telling you as to why Buckhead is NOT suburban.You are stuck on that it is suburban more than not.
If Tysons Corner was 8 miles closer to D.C. would it be more or less suburban?My answer is less.
The distance has a lot to do with it.Tyson's Corner you actually feel like you are not in the same city because their is a huge INTERSTATE vs streets with somewhat connectivity to other parts of the city Atlanta to Buckhead.
You can ride a bike from Midtown to Buckhead.
You cant do that from D.C. to Tysons Corner on the interstate.Piedmont RD from Downtown will get you to Buckhead.Same is true with Peachtree where the both intersect into each other in Buckhead
Northside Drive will also take you to Buckhead from Downtown
Every suburban area I know of is mostly accessible mainly by interstate.not surface roads.Its a seamless built environment.Sure there a gaps but were talking blocks,not JUST by miles of low level development residential neighborhoods.
A suburban area is geographically and culturally split from the core city.Hence a suburb.You may disagree but this is how I see it.

Lower Manhattan is 15 miles from the Bronx. Guess the Bronx is suburban. Distance is everything ya know.
Upper Kirby/Greenway Plaza is 8-9 miles from downtown, guess that's what you call urban.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Why is Houston constantly getting dragged into discussions that have absolutely nothing to do with it?

Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post

Lower Manhattan is 15 miles from the Bronx. Guess the Bronx is suburban. Distance is everything ya know.
Upper Kirby/Greenway Plaza is 8-9 miles from downtown, guess that's what you call urban.
Do you pay attention.Or did you just skip what I said about CONNECTIVITY having anything to do with it?You just proved my point.Thanks!
The Bronx is STILL NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City