Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More urban: Oakland or Seattle
Oakland 22 36.67%
Seattle 38 63.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 01:46 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times

Advertisements

Seattle definitely has a more active core, but when it comes to the neighborhoods, I think they're a wash. Oakland is making strides in this department, but Seattle is already ahead and still improving.

I think there's a huge difference in being THE city of a region vs being a 2nd or 3rd city in a region. Oakland does seem to be the focal point of BART, so that's a big plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 02:09 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Seattle definitely has a more active core, but when it comes to the neighborhoods, I think they're a wash. Oakland is making strides in this department, but Seattle is already ahead and still improving.

I think there's a huge difference in being THE city of a region vs being a 2nd or 3rd city in a region. Oakland does seem to be the focal point of BART, so that's a big plus.
Way to revive a thread that died a year ago.

Seattle is way more urban than Oakland. Even Bellevue can compete with Oakland nowadays, although I think Oakland would handily win in that comparison.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:14 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post

Seattle is way more urban than Oakland. Even Bellevue can compete with Oakland nowadays, although I think Oakland would handily win in that comparison.
I just went on a West Coast trip. I'm sorry I'm not allowed to revive dead threads. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:14 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post

Lol what, you think Bellevue is comparable to Oakland because it has a couple highrises in its downtown? The two are nothing alike, if anything it's comparable to Palo Alto.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:28 PM

591 posts, read 819,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Lol what, you think Bellevue is comparable to Oakland because it has a couple highrises in its downtown? The two are nothing alike, if anything it's comparable to Palo Alto.
Bellevue is a hundred times nicer than Oakland, but also much smaller and less diverse.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:31 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Lol true OakLand is much bigger than Bellevue but Bellvue has a respectable 53 high rise and 9 sky Scrapers.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
Bellevue is a hundred times nicer than Oakland, but also much smaller and less diverse.

Nicer than Oakland in terms of crime and poverty yeah, It's nowhere near as nice as Oakland on any of the urban categories being discussed in this thread though. Again, it's much more comparable to Palo Alto.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Lol true OakLand is much bigger than Bellevue but Bellvue has a respectable 53 high rise and 9 sky Scrapers.

Bellevue's a nice and quiet place with a great location relative to Seattle, as satellite cities go though it's not a notably urban or happening city.

Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 PM

456 posts, read 774,153 times
Quote:
Bellevue's a nice and quiet place with a great location relative to Seattle, as satellite cities go though it's not a notably urban or happening city.
Bellevue plays a role in the area that's sort of a cross between Oakland and San Jose in the Bay Area scaled down to the overall size of our metro. Its comparable in that sense although I don't think most people are going to disagree that its less urban than Oakland.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
Bellevue plays a role in the area that's sort of a cross between Oakland and San Jose in the Bay Area scaled down to the overall size of our metro. Its comparable in that sense although I don't think most people are going to disagree that its less urban than Oakland.
Bellevue definitely has a lot of software and tech companies in it, it's not really similar to SJ either though... Oakland and SJ are the urban centers of their respective areas (East Bay and South Bay) while Bellevue isn't really the center of anything other than the tech concentration. It's actually fairly similar to the tech concentration in the lower peninsula/upper South Bay area (Redwood Shores, Mountain View, Palo Alto).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City