Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more interesting?
Rittenhouse (Philly) 58 58.00%
Copley (Boston) 42 42.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 02:46 PM

7,272 posts, read 10,611,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Saying the buildings blend into the background in Rittenhouse is basically admitting the architecture is less interesting than Copley.

IMO arguing Rittenhouse has better architecture is like arguing Copley has a better park.

It’s absurd.
Copley has better standout architecture as individual entities. I think the Philly posters have basically all admitted that. But standout architecture does not inherently create a better urban square.

Standout architecture also doesn't make non-standout architecture "disinteresting;" it's just not quite at the same level.

I'll try some math here that may get at the point (assuming equal weighting to landscape and architecture):

If Boston's Copley is a 9 on architecture, but a 6 on park landscaping, that's only a 7.5 overall.

If Philadelphia's Rittenhouse is 7 on architecture, but a 10 on landscaping, that's an 8.5 overall.

To me, this roughly captures how both parks could be objectively judged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 02:47 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Uhh, Copley was there before the T was.

And yes: it’s a square that is immediately surrounded by shops, restaurants, churches, offices, hotels, and a library. I guess I don’t really understand your point or argument?
Copley is a square in Back Bay. Rittenhouse Square is an entire neighborhood.

You sound like you're are comparing Copley Square architecture and including all of the Back Bay offerings. This discussion isn't supposed to be about Back Bay.

If this poll and this thread said Copley + Back Bay vs. Rittenhouse Square, then what you're saying is true. But it doesn't.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:32 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,357,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Not to mention, Rittenhouse Square itself is simply a better urban space than Copley Square is. It's larger, better landscaped, and an overall more pleasant escape from the surrounding cityscape.

City vs. City as a whole, my vote is for Boston. But I'm really having a tough time seeing how Copley is somehow superior to Rittenhouse. I don't think it's an apples to apples comparison to begin with, but it's clear to me that Rittenhouse is the better spot and Copley folks are really reaching to make their case.
Yes, and very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
That's not at all what's being argued, though. The architecture around Rittenhouse is still very objectively interesting, even if it's being dismissed by some Bostonians.

If a building isn't considered a "landmark," is it automatically "disinteresting?" Those are some incredibly high and absurd standards. The built environment makes Rittenhouse just as much as the park itself; there's no doubt about that.
Also very well said. The architecture surrounding Rittenhouse (for the most part) is stately, elegant and timeless, not quite landmarks like The Philadelphia Museum of Art, but hardly bland or dis-interesting.

A few Boston posters are completely overlooking that point.

Finally, if we put the architecture argument to bed, I don't see any other way Copley Square outshines Rittenhouse?... Unless a Burger King on the square is a positive?

Old 11-19-2019, 09:53 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,746,177 times
The layout and landscaping of Rittenhouse Square makes you want to hang out. To me, Copley Square is a place you walk thru to get to the other side of the street. IMO, it's not a place to hang out.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:27 AM

1,394 posts, read 863,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
The layout and landscaping of Rittenhouse Square makes you want to hang out. To me, Copley Square is a place you walk thru to get to the other side of the street. IMO, it's not a place to hang out.
These people might disagree..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4IegwU3rCT...0/photo-22.JPG
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/BDX066/bos...wer-BDX066.jpg

I’d give rittenhouse the edge for greenspace but plenty of people hang out at Copley

Last edited by Ne999; 11-20-2019 at 06:05 AM..

Old 11-20-2019, 08:58 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Also very well said. The architecture surrounding Rittenhouse (for the most part) is stately, elegant and timeless, not quite landmarks like The Philadelphia Museum of Art, but hardly bland or dis-interesting.

The many times I walked east on Walnut Street past Trinity, I was generally looking into the square to see what was going on rather than looking at architecture. It's like Boston Common where I'm looking into the Common rather than at any building surrounding it. The whole point of Rittenhouse is you have greenspace, very desirable residential, and an upscale street level restaurant scene all in one spot. Boston really doesn't have anything like that.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 AM

12,897 posts, read 22,063,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I think that's pretty accurate. I've never once stopped to sit and hang out at Copley. However, I've done it at Rittenhouse and I've been there far less than I've been to Copley. In Boston, I'd rank Copley maybe 5th or 6th best park/plaza in the urban core. The Common, Public Garden, Columbus Park, Greenway, and P.O. Square would all get the nod from me over Copley - the Esplanade would too if you want to consider that a downtown/urban core park. I've spent many weekday and weekend afternoons/evenings hanging in those other places. I've never done the same in Copley unless there was an event there. Rittenhouse is far more appealing from that standpoint and I don't think there's a good comparison in Boston.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:27 AM

6,750 posts, read 6,744,776 times
Rittenhouse on a Sunday afternoon, Copley on a Wednesday morning. Like both, but Copley feels much higher energy.

Old 11-23-2019, 01:47 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,746,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think that's pretty accurate. I've never once stopped to sit and hang out at Copley. However, I've done it at Rittenhouse and I've been there far less than I've been to Copley. In Boston, I'd rank Copley maybe 5th or 6th best park/plaza in the urban core. The Common, Public Garden, Columbus Park, Greenway, and P.O. Square would all get the nod from me over Copley - the Esplanade would too if you want to consider that a downtown/urban core park. I've spent many weekday and weekend afternoons/evenings hanging in those other places. I've never done the same in Copley unless there was an event there. Rittenhouse is far more appealing from that standpoint and I don't think there's a good comparison in Boston.
Yeah, you only stop in Copley Square to get that pic of Trinity Church and the John Hancock Tower, then you move along. Rittenhouse Square itself is way more photogenic and appealing to me.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:07 PM

37,198 posts, read 39,473,415 times
So what is Boston’s premiere square then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City