Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times

Advertisements

Cheyenne, WY has a fairly large black population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:08 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIOT17 View Post
Cant say I agree, since most people who follow cities know Milwaukee for its very high levels of segregation, and crime rate.
You don't agree that Milwaukee has a significant black population? Well, actual facts dispute this. You know, numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
This thread has been very informative. I always thought most black people in CT lived in either Bridgeport or Hartford. I agree that Milwaukee does not get recognized on a national level for its black population. However, I know of no black oriented events that ever occur in Milwaukee. I don't think any black churches (COGIC, Bibleway, National Baptist, etc.) have ever held any national conferences in Milwaukee, or even any Greek fraternity conferences (AKA, Delta). If those conferences are held in the Midwest it is usually Chicago, St Louis, Detroit, and maybe Indy.
Milwaukee's metro area overlaps with Chicago's - where do you think conferences are going to be held? Where would you put on an ethnic conference? Milwaukee, or 70 miles south in one of the country's black meccas?

As for black-oriented events, Juneteenth is the big one here, with lots of participation and many events. It's one of the largest Juneteenth celebrations in the world: Juneteenth - Wisconsin

As for notable and unique black offerings, Milwaukee is home to the Black Holocaust Museum, the only memorial dedicated specifically to the victims of the enslavement of Africans in the United States: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...locaust_Museum

Sadly, when the owner died a few years back, there were funding issues and the Black Holocaust Museum doors closed; it is now a virtual museum: America's Black Holocaust Museum | Bringing Our History To Light

Some well-known black Milwaukee natives: Eric Benet, Al Jarreau, Speech, Oprah (later moved to Chicago), Latrell Sprewell, Wes Matthews, Carl Landry, Esquires, etc. Oh, and Will Allen of Will Allen | Growing Power, if you want to see what successful blacks are doing in the inner city. He was one of Time's "100 Most Influencial People," was awarded the genius grant, and Growing Power is one of the best known urban agricultural businesses in the world.

Again, there is both a significant black population here and there is plenty notable activity. However, as the quote above displays, as well as a lot of comments on this thread, despite this fact it remains completely in the shadow of Chicago outside the state.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:53 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Quote:
When these forums pop up, im always curious to know if the OP is talking about Afro Americans or everybody that is black, since West Indian areas don't have the deep history compared to African American areas, which can be a reason why places like CT, Boston, and Florida tend to go unnoticed.
I don't think Florida goes unnoticed. People realize Florida has many blacks, they just don't think of any of its big cities as a "black" hub in a way like ATL, Detroit, D.C. which is understandable because none of them are (when talking about black population %), though they do have sizable black communities, just not on the level of the "hubs."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There are too many Black Americans in Central and South Florida not to have a deep history. There is definitely a deep history with Black Americans as much as West Indians. My family and friends that's been there for decades is more than enough that we exist down there. Really the only ones that beat them are Bahamians.
Don't forget North Florida. As many like to say, North Florida is basically an extension of Southern Georgia and Deep South = high percentages of blacks. Many towns down there have a large % of blacks and have so for a long time, rural towns near the Georgia line such as Madison and Quincy.

The towns there may not be as known or popular as Central and South FL, but I'd guess African Americans make up a higher % of North Florida's population than AA's make up of Central Florida and South Florida's populations.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:58 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Cheyenne, WY has a fairly large black population
Out of the 91,000 people in the Cheyenne metropolitan area, 2000 of them are Black. Soooooooo, not sure if you're being serious or facetious...

Old 07-09-2015, 01:06 PM

Indianapolis (27%) 226,713
Oklahoma City (14.0%) 84,062
Tulsa (14.6%) 57,420

These cities come to mind too. Yes, I know the percentages arent that high in the OK cities, but I dont think people realize 57,000+ blacks live in Tulsa or that 84,000+ blacks live in OKC. That's a lot of black people.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:02 PM

Wichita 42,291 (11.0%)

Omaha 56,311 (13.4%)

Louisville 84,011 (32.8%) I remember a Teddy Bridgewater interview about how it was much different in Louisville than he thought it would be before he arrived.

Buffalo 92,921 (35.8%) perhaps one of the top 3 places under recognized for black pop.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:20 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Aren't most of the blacks in that suburb of Jamaican decent? Are we talking black in general or just African American?
I'm not sure if most are Jamaican, but Jamaicans make ups large portion of Blue Hills, which is just a part of the larger Bloomfield area/school district.

Also, there is still a pretty large African American population in Central Florida. In fact, a lot of Black people in Upstate NY have roots in that region of Florida.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Wichita 42,291 (11.0%)

Omaha 56,311 (13.4%)

Louisville 84,011 (32.8%) I remember a Teddy Bridgewater interview about how it was much different in Louisville than he thought it would be before he arrived.

Buffalo 92,921 (35.8%) perhaps one of the top 3 places under recognized for black pop.
Buffalo actually has just over 100,000 Black people and is around 40% Black. Rochester has about 85,000 Black people and is close to 45% Black. Both have Black mayors and people in leadership positions in both cities/areas. Buffalo even has a Black chamber of commerce. Buffalo also has 3 or 4 radio stations geared towards the Black community and both cities have a radio station each that are Black owned(WUFO in Buffalo and WDKX in Rochester).

Syracuse has as many Black people as Wichita within a city a third of the population.

Pittsburgh has around 80,000 and Boston has around 150,000 Black people within each of those cities.

A big sleeper is Harrisburg, which has around 26,000 Black people with a city with just under 50,000 people. What makes it more remarkable is that suburbs like Steelton and Susquehanna Township are 38% and 24% Black, respectively.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-09-2015 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 11:32 PM

408 posts, read 581,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
This thread has been very informative. I always thought most black people in CT lived in either Bridgeport or Hartford. I agree that Milwaukee does not get recognized on a national level for its black population. However, I know of no black oriented events that ever occur in Milwaukee. I don't think any black churches (COGIC, Bibleway, National Baptist, etc.) have ever held any national conferences in Milwaukee, or even any Greek fraternity conferences (AKA, Delta). If those conferences are held in the Midwest it is usually Chicago, St Louis, Detroit, and maybe Indy.
Exactly, its not fun when the statistics show you the jobless rates vs incarceration rates in my hometown. Super bleak right now up there, no jobs, no imagination among the youth, and the few that "seem to get it" move out of state quicker the dodge!

It wasn't always so lowkey, Oprah use to shoutout Milwaukee every now and then LOL!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 AM

This may help in terms of events/news about Milwaukee's Black/African American community:
African American Events | THE MILWAUKEE DRUM

Black Child Development Institute

African American Chamber of Commerce

http://communityjournal.net

https://m.facebook.com/pages/100-Bla...ee/93850819845
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City