Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most recognizable city landmark
US Capitol Dome/Bldg. - Washington, DC 9 6.57%
Miami Beach - Miami 0 0%
Statue of Liberty - New York City 92 67.15%
Hollywood Sign - Los Angeles 12 8.76%
The Alamo - San Antonio 0 0%
French Quarter architecture - New Orleans 0 0%
Gateway Arch - Saint Louis 6 4.38%
Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower) - Chicago 2 1.46%
Space Needle - Seattle 3 2.19%
Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco 13 9.49%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:39 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times

Advertisements

Statue of Liberty, GG Bridge, Hollywood Sign, Capitol Building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
I would probably say:

Statue of Liberty
Hollywood Sign
Golden Gate Bridge
Gateway Arch

I think the US Capital Bldg is being rated a bit too highly and I would have picked the White House instead...

Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Statue of liberty and Hollywood sign tied for most recognizable.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
looks deffective, I would imagine the tin-tinabulation is a bit clongy sounding

werd

Old 08-29-2013, 07:12 AM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
I would probably say:

Statue of Liberty
Hollywood Sign
Golden Gate Bridge
Gateway Arch

I think the US Capital Bldg is being rated a bit too highly and I would have picked the White House instead...
I can easily answer this one for you... Though you may say you would pick the White House instead, The US Cap Bldg. is easily more recognizable as a symbol for DC than the White House.

Why do I say?

Well, to begin with, The Cap Bldg is FAR MORE used in logos for DC than the White House, which is rarely used.

Even when it is as simple as these, you still know it represents DC:

The other reason I chose to use the Capitol Bldg, would be because you would be surprised just how many people have NO IDEA what the White House looks like, they all recognize that dome as being in DC.
I can't tell you how many times I've had visitors come to DC and ask me during a tour if the Capitol Bldg. was the White House. Had to have been hundreds of times I've had to say "NO... I just told you, that is the Capitol Bldg. The White House is down the street." And when we arrive at the White House they are all surprised it was "so small" and wasn't big like the Capitol Bldg. You'd be surprised just how many Americans & foreigners assume the president of the United Stats MUST be living in a super HUGE palace overlooking everything, so when they see that Capitol Dome (that they already recognize as a DC landmark) overlooking the city, they assume it must be that building... Kind of funny sometimes.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
I'd say the White House but I see that's not a choice

Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
I would say the most recognizable is not on here
I do find it odd that the Empire State Building isn't on the list when the Sears Tower is. ESB may not be the tallest anymore but it's still America's tower, in every sense. I could be wrong, but I would think it's more recognized outside the US.

The Statue of Liberty is first, perhaps, but the Empire State Building should be top 5.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I can easily answer this one for you... Though you may say you would pick the White House instead, The US Cap Bldg. is easily more recognizable as a symbol for DC than the White House.

Why do I say?

Well, to begin with, The Cap Bldg is FAR MORE used in logos for DC than the White House, which is rarely used.

Even when it is as simple as these, you still know it represents DC:

The other reason I chose to use the Capitol Bldg, would be because you would be surprised just how many people have NO IDEA what the White House looks like, they all recognize that dome as being in DC.
I can't tell you how many times I've had visitors come to DC and ask me during a tour if the Capitol Bldg. was the White House. Had to have been hundreds of times I've had to say "NO... I just told you, that is the Capitol Bldg. The White House is down the street." And when we arrive at the White House they are all surprised it was "so small" and wasn't big like the Capitol Bldg. You'd be surprised just how many Americans & foreigners assume the president of the United Stats MUST be living in a super HUGE palace overlooking everything, so when they see that Capitol Dome (that they already recognize as a DC landmark) overlooking the city, they assume it must be that building... Kind of funny sometimes.
That kind of goes with not recognizing either though; furthermore, if I showed an average person a picture of a state capital building and told them it was the US capital I'm sure most would believe me...

Old 08-29-2013, 03:42 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
These questions are funny to me. I think I would recognize quite a few of these landmarks instantly... I mean what's the difference between the Golden Gate Bridge and the Statue of Liberty? Or the Hollywood sign? Are people instantly recognizing the Statue of Liberty 67 percent faster than the other unmistakable things on this list?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
These questions are funny to me. I think I would recognize quite a few of these landmarks instantly... I mean what's the difference between the Golden Gate Bridge and the Statue of Liberty? Or the Hollywood sign? Are people instantly recognizing the Statue of Liberty 67 percent faster than the other unmistakable things on this list?

Mostly agree. Those three and images like say the Capital with the Wash monument are pretty widely known

Far fewer people in american would mis-associate any of these
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City