Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area would you prefer to play or vacation?
Los Angeles/Santa Monica 200 57.47%
Miami/Miami Beach 148 42.53%
Voters: 348. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 03:31 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,438,649 times

Advertisements

The clippers were a bad team and the Lakers were just coming off a title.
He was never gonna join kobe to get more titles. I don't even remember Lakers really trying to get him.

The knicks and nets were bad teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 05:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Vacation - Miami. Nicer beaches, white sands, clearer warm water, WAY better nightlife, there is no comparison there.

Live- LA. WAY more to do during the day; hike the hills and canyons, beaches, mountains, city life. Much better weather in LA. You could be out all day on the beach in the middle of summer and not feel sticky or gross from humidity. If all you do is lay on the beach you prolly wont need to shower, (but please do cus that's just gross).

LAs nightlife is surprisingly less than stellar compared to places like NYC, Miami, Vegas or New Orleans. Heck, I've found Austin and ATL to get more rowdy. The side of town where Santa Monica is is surprisingly sleepy compared to the other side of the city.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
The clippers were a bad team and the Lakers were just coming off a title.
He was never gonna join kobe to get more titles. I don't even remember Lakers really trying to get him.

The knicks and nets were bad teams.
Doesn't make much sense. If he really didn't care for Miami, and really loved LA, why not join Kobe and win titles? The Lakers were still a perennial playoff team at that point. As you said, they just came off of a title. I'm sure LBJ was sooooo miserable having to settle for living in Miami to win a title instead of choosing the Lakers.

Either way, LBJ is one of many NBA players who have and or still own homes in the Miami area. I guess all these free agents Miami's able to acquire and all the NBA players with summer homes in Miami are settling for something they don't necessarily want either. I guess it's all just business.....

IAs far as athletes and off-season homes, I think it's a draw between the two towns....

Old 02-04-2016, 05:47 PM

You must not know the nba. Kobe and LeBron have a competitive rivalry in a legacy sense. That's not a secret.

The Miami move was pure business. He kinda of used Miami in a way. The first chance he had to leave, he left.
I think that says it all.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Doesn't make much sense. If he really didn't care for Miami, and really loved LA, why not join Kobe and win titles? The Lakers were still a perennial playoff team at that point. As you said, they just came off of a title. I'm sure LBJ was sooooo miserable having to settle for living in Miami to win a title instead of choosing the Lakers.

Either way, LBJ is one of many NBA players who have and or still own homes in the Miami area. I guess all these free agents Miami's able to acquire and all the NBA players with summer homes in Miami are settling for something they don't necessarily want either. I guess it's all just business.....

IAs far as athletes and off-season homes, I think it's a draw between the two towns....
Before LeBron and bosh came as free agents, please list the amazing group of nba stars that came that were acquired in free agency between 1988-2010.

I'll wait.

While you're at it, do the same for the Dolphins and Marlins.

EDIT

All i see for the Heat is an old Alonzo Morning and Eddie Jones. That's ......not very good....

Ray Allen and Bosh came because Lebron went. Bosh was strongly considering the Bulls and other teams that off season. It's really about the the game of basketball than wanting to be in a specific city. Why didn't Ray Allen go to Miami previously? He played for like 14 years pre Miami.

Last edited by Freddy K; 02-04-2016 at 06:45 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 06:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
LA completely beats Miami...not even a comparison in my opinion.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:36 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
LA is a superior city to Miami in every possible way.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
Before LeBron and bosh came as free agents, please list the amazing group of nba stars that came that were acquired in free agency between 1988-2010.

I'll wait.

While you're at it, do the same for the Dolphins and Marlins.

EDIT

All i see for the Heat is an old Alonzo Morning and Eddie Jones. That's ......not very good....

Ray Allen and Bosh came because Lebron went. Bosh was strongly considering the Bulls and other teams that off season. It's really about the the game of basketball than wanting to be in a specific city. Why didn't Ray Allen go to Miami previously? He played for like 14 years pre Miami.
Shaq
Tim Hardaway
Alonzo
Goran Dragic
Chris Bosh
LeBron James
Eddie Jones is from South Florida so that might not count
Re-signed Dwyane Wade
I wasn't even gonna count Ray Allen, you chose to

How many players signed with LA teams just to live in LA, rather than to win a title? I'm sure you can name LA free agent signings, but how many of them did it to just to live in LA and to not win a title?

And you still haven't provided me an answer as to why so many athletes that have nothing to do with The Heat, Marlins, and Dolphins organizations still own homes in the Miami area. I'm waiting for an answer as to why that is? Explain it to me......

Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Shaq
Tim Hardaway
Alonzo
Goran Dragic
Chris Bosh
LeBron James
Eddie Jones is from South Florida so that might not count
Re-signed Dwyane Wade
I wasn't even gonna count Ray Allen, you chose to

How many players signed with LA teams just to live in LA, rather than to win a title? I'm sure you can name LA free agent signings, but how many of them did it to just to live in LA and to not win a title?

And you still haven't provided me an answer as to why so many athletes that have nothing to do with The Heat, Marlins, and Dolphins organizations still own homes in the Miami area. I'm waiting for an answer as to why that is? Explain it to me......
Shaq was a trade.
Tim Hardaway was a trade.

And I said before 2010 (Lebron).

So you're left with Eddie Jones and a old Alonzo Morning. In 22 years. And Bosh and Allen came because of Lebron.

You were the one (and other Miami posters) who said Lebron came because of Miami. That's not true at all. He came to play with Wade to get rings.
Wade could've been on the Suns if they had the same coaches/roster and he would've went there.

It was a basketball move.

You said he went to Cleveland for basketball reasons/pr. But he went to Miami for????????? He even said going to Miami was going to his university to learn how to win, from Wade/Riley.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Vacation - Miami. Nicer beaches, white sands, clearer warm water, WAY better nightlife, there is no comparison there.

Live- LA. WAY more to do during the day; hike the hills and canyons, beaches, mountains, city life. Much better weather in LA. You could be out all day on the beach in the middle of summer and not feel sticky or gross from humidity. If all you do is lay on the beach you prolly wont need to shower, (but please do cus that's just gross).

LAs nightlife is surprisingly less than stellar compared to places like NYC, Miami, Vegas or New Orleans. Heck, I've found Austin and ATL to get more rowdy. The side of town where Santa Monica is is surprisingly sleepy compared to the other side of the city.
Not in Miami it isn't.

Los Angeles would probably be the only West Coast city I would seriously consider living in, but I can't say for sure it's an opportunity I would jump at. I despise the moderate climate (mostly due to the lack of rain) and California in general is a far cry from the more traditional outlook of the Eastern US that will always be important to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City