Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2015, 11:22 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC Area Apartments Keep Up Record-Setting Absorption Pace as Vacancy Drops

"Specifically, 14,137 Class A units were absorbed during the past year, more than double the region’s 10‐year average. In Northern Virginia and DC proper, absorption rates rose dramatically, increasing 37 percent and 82 percent, respectively."

Keep building!!!
Not surprising at least on the NoVa side. Tysons, Fairfax City, Arlington, Alexandria and Woodbridge have been throwing up luxury apartments anywhere there's land to.

I'm sure it'll slow down at some point though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 12:00 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
You're barking up the wrong tree with me, Monty. Design, building materials, how it adds to the skyline, and how it meets the street: these are the things I care about.

Height? Couldn't care less. For months already its been one of the more dominant building I can see from my rooftop, and it still has 20 or so stories to go. They could stop right now and it would be plenty tall for me.

Wilshire Grand - 9.21.2015
Good on you hun but no one said anything that isnt fact. Salesforce Tower will still be taller from ground level to roofline. Wilshire Tower is taller due to a spire. A really long spire.

lol

Old 10-05-2015, 12:34 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Sick building to work in, definitely. As far as working for Comcast, I don't know if I'd enjoy it.

Comcast probably receives more sh*t than any other company on the planet. That article you posted is one part factual, one part propaganda. It makes it very clear, that you the consumer, is not suppose to like Comcast. Comes with the territory though. Think about Comcast's direct competition. AT&T, Disney, Google, FOX, CBS, Viacom, Verizon, etc. Those are some pretty formidable enemies to have.

It all started when Comcast decided it wanted to change it's game from being a tier 3 network provider to a quasi-tier 1. You could write a book about how Comcast used its own capital to go ahead and build there own supplemental backbone network (something Google is actively doing now across the country) but the big thing was that, once the other tier 1 companies began to peer with Comcast's network for free, the rest was history. Should Comcast charge other media providers like Netflix to use their lines? Hell no, especially when they already benefit from being a media provider themselves. Is it Comcast suing the federal government over the new Net Neutrality? No, it is a trade group headed by AT&T and Verizon. There is a pretty big fundamental difference between Comcast and them. Comcast is the world's biggest media company has a vested interest in ensuring that their media is carried as freely to the customer as possible. AT&T and Verizon want to sit back like they are in a toll booth on a virtual highway. Not that Comcast doesn't want too, i.e. the Netflix thing, but they also don't want to have to start forking it over when people start watching the nightly news online instead of through the cable box.

Does Comcast's customer service suck? On occasion, yes. I moved this year, and it was easier than ever to switch addresses and reactivate my service else where. Do they still have plenty of work to improve customer service? Absolutely. Would it been fair if they merged with Time-Warner? Probably not, that's why regulators shot it down. Like it or hate it, there is no denying that Comcast plays by the rules. They made smart investments over time and were able to position themselves as one of the most powerful companies in the world. They also are a top 50 employer in this country. This building is specifically for newer R&D divisions along with a Four Seasons Hotel

So do I think people should stop calling Comcast "the worst company in America"? Yes. The worst companies in my opinion are the chemical and energy companies that gave generations of people in places like WV cancer and destroyed the environment. Not really companies that provide competitively priced internet service, amusement parks, and buzzfeed articles. The worst companies are the companies that flooded our markets with cheap knockoff goods and lowered the American standard.

I think most people will actually look back and see the merger failure with Time-Warner as a godsend. Considering Time-Warner's two biggest markets are NYC and LA, two places seeing the largest reduction in paid cable subscribers. Its all about streaming/new media. One of Comcast's new apps is actually a pretty well designed news/video aggregate source. Watchable

Sorry to go on a tangent, but sometimes the conversation on ISPs/Media/Internet is very one sided and people don't step back and look at the bigger picture of how there are many companies that have a piece or want a piece of the pie. In terms of Major Projects, they bought another parking lot in Center City and are possibly planning a third *hopefully mega* tower. Along with an investment in customer service and upgrading their entire network to be capable of 2 gigs per second, I think Comcast is a better All American company then a lot of others. At least they invest in our own country.

BizFeed: Third Comcast Tower Looking More Likely

Old 10-05-2015, 12:42 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes and it will still look taller than the both the Wilshire Grand and CITC, which is absolutely hilarious given the bragging about height.
That makes no sense. The Salesforce Tower will be 1070ft, and CITC will be 1121-45ft. The highest occupied space in Salesforce is at approx. 900ft. The highest occupied space in CITC is approx. 935 ft. Even if CITC stopped at the cooling lantern before the spire the height would still be taller.

Comcast 1 is even taller than Salesforce and "looks" taller because it has an broad obelisk shape. So it makes no sense how a tower could "look" taller when it is over 150ft shorter in reality? Plus I think CITC is a much more attractive building.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:33 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That makes no sense. The Salesforce Tower will be 1070ft, and CITC will be 1121-45ft. The highest occupied space in Salesforce is at approx. 900ft. The highest occupied space in CITC is approx. 935 ft. Even if CITC stopped at the cooling lantern before the spire the height would still be taller.

Comcast 1 is even taller than Salesforce and "looks" taller because it has an broad obelisk shape. So it makes no sense how a tower could "look" taller when it is over 150ft shorter in reality? Plus I think CITC is a much more attractive building.
???

CITC's roofline above the Four Seasons will be 911'6", the top two floors being very high-floor amenity/view spaces with restaurant, etc, so from where people are standing, it's likely around 875-890' somewhere around there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=comc...htj2F0BZl6M%3A

The cooling tower will take it up to 995'6" on one side, and the spire will continue on til 1,121'6" on the same side.

Salesforce Tower's mechanical floor (61st) will top out at 912' exactly. Assuming 15' floors, then the 60th floor starts at 882' and a 6' male executive with office on that floor would have an eye level view around 888' up, probably exactly the same as CITC's top eye level view, +/- an immaterial difference.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sale...pHytBxDKWFM%3A

All in all, the executives at the top of SF Tower and the patrons/guests at the top of CITC will have roughly the same equivalent eye level view of their respective cities. Both will be higher up, but not much, than the Wilshire Grand (top eye level height somewhere around 810-820' I believe). The only one of the three towers that will have uniform structure rising from street to top will be Salesforce Tower, so in the end, it may just give illusion of being the tallest, but it will also curve at the top so the top may not be visible from the street. Who knows, who cares?

RE: Comcast 1 looking taller, the top floors of that tower are also right around 900' and the glass top continues on for 5 equivalent floors to 975'. SF Tower will be 60 office floors with a glass top that takes it 1,070', so not sure how Comcast 1 will clearly look taller when it will have fewer floors and doesn't rise as high from the street.

https://www.google.com/search?q=comc...2oNPXQaKbkM%3A

Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Good on you hun but no one said anything that isnt fact. Salesforce Tower will still be taller from ground level to roofline. Wilshire Tower is taller due to a spire. A really long spire.

lol
And?

For the second time, you're arguing something to someone who could not possibly care less, and isn't disputing or even engaging you. Take it elsewhere, size queen.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:52 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
???

CITC's roofline above the Four Seasons will be 911'6", the top two floors being very high-floor amenity/view spaces with restaurant, etc, so from where people are standing, it's likely around 875-890' somewhere around there.

https://www.google.com/search?q=comc...htj2F0BZl6M%3A

The cooling tower will take it up to 995'6" on one side, and the spire will continue on til 1,121'6" on the same side.

Rendering is out of date.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:55 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,281,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
That is one tall feminine hygeine applicator
Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of feminine "massager", but yeah I can sort of see that too
Still curious what building I posted that is??... I'm thinking it is this one below in a different perspective...
" One Museum Place".

But it exist since like 2007. It is though ONE OF MY FAVORITE NEWER BUILDINGS and ALL
CONDOS. On a Boat Tour ride into Lake Michigan from the River. TOURIST Specifically
Asked the Announcer on the Building and Chicago historical Facts. WHAT THIS BUILDING
WAS.... He answered it was merely Condos.... ITS SHEEN AND SETBACKS STAND OUT.
Apparently a attempt to demean Chicago or just in Poor Taste...

If you two guys.... actually say it is one of these planned buildings... in the bottom picture??
I don't get it.... This existing one I like a lot....

I posted these Two buildings coming next to it ⤵ Well one next and one near ⤵

Old 10-05-2015, 07:03 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,925 times
They were talking about the SF building I believe, and those were along my first thoughts regarding the building as well :/

Old 10-05-2015, 07:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
The New Class of Skyscrapers That Will Forever Change the Chicago Skyline - Such Great Heights - Curbed Chicago

I love 113 E. Roosevelt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City