Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:01 PM

12 posts, read 12,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Thanks for the article. Just one note though, that 100k figure is for all of Canada not just Toronto. Can't seem to find one for specifically Toronto and Philly though.
I don't know any numbers offhand, but I'd imagine the number is much bigger for Toronto. The University of Toronto has over 83,000 students, whereas all of Drexel, Temple and Penn add up to about 89,000. It's a tough comparison to evaluate it in terms of "international draw", since Penn, for example, is incredibly selective at the undergraduate level, whereas UofT isn't.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Honestly outside the U.S and Canada do you really think the Liberty Bell is all that famous? I think you'd get a lot of blank stares in Thailand if you spoke about Philly and the liberty bell. As I've mentioned as well, Philly has the benefits of the American cultural juggernaut. Also, if you look at Toronto Pearson's list of International Carriers - it is absolutely astounding how many serve Toronto.

Toronto Pearson International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Philadelphia International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do a cross comparison of number of different international carriers to both airports above. Also look at number of International travellers doing O/D activity at each.
Funny how you trivialized the Liberty Bell as if its the only thing Philly is known for.

You make more excuses for Toronto.

And why would Philly which is the 5th or 6th largest city in America be more international against the main city in one of the wealthiest countries in the world?

Toronto is the business hub of Canada,yet it has no widespread knowledge of what it is other than those things I just mentioned unlike Philly with Benjamin Franklin,Rocky,Paul Revere,etc..

Old 05-19-2014, 02:11 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
I'm sorry but many American kids don't even know, or care about, U.S. history, much less your average foreigner. Certainly, Philadelphia is an important city for those who care about U.S. history, but you won't see millions of foreigners flocking there to see the liberty bell. They rather go to tourist places like Times Square.
True but the comparison is Toronto vs Philly.There are things about Philly that are recognized worldwide.
I cannot say the same for Toronto.That's just my honest opinion

Old 05-19-2014, 02:14 PM

354 posts, read 681,726 times
I like both cities quite a bit, it's always fun to watch some ice hockey games in these cities as well

Old 05-19-2014, 02:15 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
this link would suggest 11% of the current class for Penn

Penn: Penn Facts

13% for Drexel
Facts and Figures | Undergraduate Admissions | Drexel University

this is what I could find for Temple

over 2,000 International studens from >100 countries

Temple University Succeeds in Attracting Global Students | Global Philadelphia Association
As for Toronto:

U of Toronto is proud to be the home away from home to almost 10,000 international students from over 150 countries.
International | Discover U of T

York U has 5,000+ or so.
http://yorkinternational.yorku.ca/fi...pNov2013-1.pdf

Not sure about Ryerson or the 4 main community colleges. They do get a lot as well.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
Actually, for Canadian shows to get airtime in the U.S., they will likely have to blur out any Canadian reference. Most canadian shows here NEVER mention that they are set in Toronto or Vancouver. Its almost like a requirement. Examples that come to mind are Rookie Blue and Flashpoint. The rare exception is Degrassi.

We have a few Canadian cable shows that I can think of. Other than that, I don't see Canada and its cities overtly mentioned in the media. Can you give me an example?
You gave out Degrassi.

Some of us Americans who are fans of Primeval were aware that one of the seasons switched over to Vancouver from London.

We're aware of music artists such as Drake, Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen, Avril Lavigne, Kardinal Offishell, Celine Dion, Bryan Adams, Melanie Fiona, The Weeknd, Tamia, etc.

There were times when they made references of Canada or their hometown in their music.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:17 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The Liberty Bell isn't a foreign tourist attraction? I was in Independence Park on a Friday a couple weeks ago and a sizable minority of the people waiting in line to see the Liberty Bell were Chinese and Korean tourists. Granted it does not have the tourist allure of Times Square, Rockefeller Center, or the Empire State Building, but New York just blows every other city in the world out of the water and isn't a fair comparison.
In terms of tourist attractions? New York still has to compete with Paris and London though...

Old 05-19-2014, 02:17 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
Philly vs Toronto thread been going at it for a long time now. I call it even, they are both great cities .

Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
I like both cities quite a bit, it's always fun to watch some ice hockey games in these cities as well

Whoa-nice pics!

Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 PM

354 posts, read 681,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Funny how you trivialized the Liberty Bell as if its the only thing Philly is known for.

You make more excuses for Toronto.

And why would Philly which is the 5th or 6th largest city in America be more international against the main city in one of the wealthiest countries in the world?

Toronto is the business hub of Canada,yet it has no widespread knowledge of what it is other than those things I just mentioned unlike Philly with Benjamin Franklin,Rocky,Paul Revere,etc..
I think Rocky is most famous! Benjamin Franklin and even Philly Cheese steak is not a known "Philly" icon here in Sweden. We do have the latter in our subway restaurant though, even though it's just call Cheese steak I believe.

Not much from Toronto either, except for some of our more well known ice hockey players who played for the Maple Leafs in the past, and that Rob Ford fella lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City