Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:35 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX357 View Post
Born in Queens, NYC live in New Jersey close to NYC, and I used to live outside of Camden in South Jersey been to Philly too many times. I have never been to Toronto but I here its almost on the level of New York City. Nothing against Philly but I really was not impressed at all. For a Northeast City in the US people move slower compared to NYC, North Jersey, Boston or D.C. the people are too laid back. public transportation stinks subways stop running to early, The entire city closes down it feels like sometimes. Can't get any good Pizza, Hot dogs , Delis etc., and the sports teams suck. I don't know maybe I am to used to NYC and North Jersey Jersey City Hoboken etc. I will have to go with Toronto as well even if I have not been their.
You are wrong on just about everything, except the sports teams sucking. I thank god every day I'm not a Philadelphia fan.

I've said it 10,485,585,583,038 times to people, but you can't compare New York to any other city on Earth. It is something so incredibly unique that it is in a league of it's own. Philadelphia is never going to be New York, nor does it try to. I don't think anyone would consider Toronto anywhere near the same level as New York (but that doesn't mean its a bad city).

I don't get what why you think people move slow here. Again, its not the pace of New York but it is still very much a go, go, go atmosphere that doesn't exist outside the Northeast. Public transportation is definitely lagging in comparison to the other 3 major NE cities, but still pretty good overall. As others have pointed out, PATCO runs 24/7, and now the BSL and El lines run 24 hours on Fridays and Saturdays. I think only 5-6 cities in the world offer 24 hour subway service. SEPTA wouldn't be offering that if the city "closed down" as you claim.

I can go to several places in my South Philly neighborhood and get great Italian pizza that tastes just like the stuff in New York. If you actually did live here as you claim, you obviously weren't the most observant person in the world or you would not be laying down all these bogus claims.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:05 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
You are wrong on just about everything, except the sports teams sucking. I thank god every day I'm not a Philadelphia fan.

I've said it 10,485,585,583,038 times to people, but you can't compare New York to any other city on Earth. It is something so incredibly unique that it is in a league of it's own. Philadelphia is never going to be New York, nor does it try to. I don't think anyone would consider Toronto anywhere near the same level as New York (but that doesn't mean its a bad city).

I don't get what why you think people move slow here. Again, its not the pace of New York but it is still very much a go, go, go atmosphere that doesn't exist outside the Northeast. Public transportation is definitely lagging in comparison to the other 3 major NE cities, but still pretty good overall. As others have pointed out, PATCO runs 24/7, and now the BSL and El lines run 24 hours on Fridays and Saturdays. I think only 5-6 cities in the world offer 24 hour subway service. SEPTA wouldn't be offering that if the city "closed down" as you claim.

I can go to several places in my South Philly neighborhood and get great Italian pizza that tastes just like the stuff in New York. If you actually did live here as you claim, you obviously weren't the most observant person in the world or you would not be laying down all these bogus claims.
You made great points but give the guy a break. Did you really expect an arrogant New Yorker to say something nice about Philly? jk

Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You made great points but give the guy a break. Did you really expect an arrogant New Yorker to say something nice about Philly? jk
Of course not. Most of my extended family, who live in New York, still thinks Philadelphia looks like it did in the original Rocky movie.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:12 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:

NYC is definitely a great world city but I would say there are other world cities with incredible vibe, energy and character that are close or on its level. It certainly isnt the only incredible super duper spectacular amazing fantastic universe shattering city lol.. but yes neither Toronto nor Philly are NY and to be honest nobody in Toronto would claim that but we are excited about the growth going on and for a city to be building more skscrapers than NYC five years running is certainly an accomplisment and speaks to something.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
NYC is definitely a great world city but I would say there are other world cities with incredible vibe, energy and character that are close or on its level. It certainly isnt the only incredible super duper spectacular amazing fantastic universe shattering city lol.. but yes neither Toronto nor Philly are NY and to be honest nobody in Toronto would claim that but we are excited about the growth going on and for a city to be building more skscrapers than NYC five years running is certainly an accomplisment and speaks to something.
Of course there are other amazingly unique cities in the world (London, Paris, Tokyo), but those cities don't bear the "Capital of the World" title like New York does. New York exerts so much influence over the modern world that to me puts it above other top-tier cities like those mentioned above.

I think the whole building boom for Toronto vs. New York only speaks for the fact that there is more room to build in Toronto and it doesn't have nearly the established skyline that New York possessed long before. There isn't much room left to build in Manhattan without first demolishing existing buildings, so it doesn't surprise me that smaller cities have outpaced New York in skyscraper construction recently. I'm not taking anything away from Toronto though. I've heard great things about it, and it's prompted me to plan a weekend trip this summer to see what its all about.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Of course there are other amazingly unique cities in the world (London, Paris, Tokyo), but those cities don't bear the "Capital of the World" title like New York does. New York exerts so much influence over the modern world that to me puts it above other top-tier cities like those mentioned above.

I think the whole building boom for Toronto vs. New York only speaks for the fact that there is more room to build in Toronto and it doesn't have nearly the established skyline that New York possessed long before. There isn't much room left to build in Manhattan without first demolishing existing buildings, so it doesn't surprise me that smaller cities have outpaced New York in skyscraper construction recently. I'm not taking anything away from Toronto though. I've heard great things about it, and it's prompted me to plan a weekend trip this summer to see what its all about.
First paragraph yes and no... NYC is the most famous example and while it and Tokyo have the largest city GDP'S in the world I've been to Bangkok, Istanbul and recently London and all three in my books are just as go, go, go and Vibrant as NYC but anyway this is Philly v Toronto NYC shouldnt be part of the discussion.

Second paragraph is in part because of geography, Toronto cant sprawl anymore due to surrounding farm and marshland plus a renewed interest over the past decade in moving from suburban to urban location particularly the core DT. Now sure maybe NYC has some zoning issues no doubt but it is still building the most skyscrapers in the U.S by far and only Toronto is building more in Canamericaand again reasons why though interesting dont really change the outcome. So again I'd say for any city to keep up with NYC in terms of highrise building speaks to something... lets face it lots of tall buildings gives a city a certain mojo.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:08 PM

Btw mb1562 post in the T.O furum when you are coming up and what you are interested in and we'll point you in the right direction.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:20 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I would think that a lot of cities could beat NYC for 5 years running on skyscraper building. I can't even imagine where NYC would build skyscrapers at the moment, it's pretty much built-out!

Whereas Toronto has so much room and such a need to build them.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I would think that a lot of cities could beat NYC for 5 years running on skyscraper building. I can't even imagine where NYC would build skyscrapers at the moment, it's pretty much built-out!

NYC - even Manhattan still has old industrial land and parking lots to build skyscrapers on. It's even to the point where lowrises and midrises are being demolished to make way for skyscrapers.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:55 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,172,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

NYC is actually in the midst of another skyscraper boom...as are Philly and Toronto.

I give the win to Toronto, though, Drake withstanding, Philly has a better music scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City