Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Toronto 127 57.73%
Philadelphia 93 42.27%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:11 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
You have a crime-ridden city and your frustration is that people think you guys live in fear, not that people are getting mugged/beat/robbed or worse in other parts of town.

No one is denying that there are nice parts of Philly. But, there is no sense in downplaying Philly crime by comparing it to a more dangerous place. Admit its a problem and move on. Complacency and denial are not a solution.
We have crime-ridden neighborhoods, but definitely not a crime-ridden city. You just lost all credibility when talking about Philadelphia with the stupidity of that statement.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:11 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Because Toronto doesn't. Even if there was good cheesesteaks being mad win Toronto comparable to those I'm Philly, which there isn't, they're still PHILLY cheesesteaks. They're still a philadelphia food. On top of that philadelphia also has soft pretzels and water ice.
If you haven't had a Peameal Bacon Sandwich from Carousel at St Lawrence market you are truly missing out.

St. Lawrence Market : Directory Individual Vendor - St Lawrence market btw has won tons of accolades and they are highly recommended by Nat Geo.

http://travel.nationalgeographic.com.../food-markets/

Aside from that, it is more difficult for an uber diverse city like Toronto to have a defining anything. We simply have more of a little bit of everything than most places.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-19-2014 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Here's the bottom line:

1.) Cheesesteaks. Everyone needs to relax about the claim that Philadelphia is home to the most authentic cheesesteak. I would think that any city that is known for a particular kind of food has a bit of an edge in terms of making and offering that food. Don't know why that's such a crazy proposition nor why it would particularly perturb our resident Torontonians.

2.) Crime. Philadelphia has plenty of it. It's at an unacceptably high level in many areas of the city. However, it does NOT affect the average person on a daily basis nor is the vast, vast majority of it random regardless of where they live in the city.

And violent crime is, indeed, on a slow decline, but it needs to happen quicker. Toronto is clearly a safer city overall.

Can we please move on now?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Here's the bottom line:
2.) Crime. Philadelphia has plenty of it. It's at an unacceptably high level in many areas of the city. However, it does NOT affect the average person on a daily basis. And violent crime is, indeed, on a slow decline, but it needs to happen quicker. Toronto is clearly a safer city overall.

Can we please move on now?
Thats as accurate as it's gonna get. Thank you, case closed.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:15 AM

111 posts, read 166,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
We have crime-ridden neighborhoods, but definitely not a crime-ridden city. You just lost all credibility when talking about Philadelphia with the stupidity of that statement.
HUH? A city with a huge number of crime-ridden neighborhoods pushing rates to Detroit/Chicago levels is crime ridden to most reasonable adults.

By the way, why do you ignore the other, more important, part of the statement?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:16 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Yes, I know. I believe that's exactly what I had said.

I'm not entirely sure what gave you that impression.

There are plenty of capital projects that SEPTA is engaged in. The major difference is the agency is currently focused on making an enormous backlog of repairs now that it is receiving a major infusion of new state funding. However, once those are taken care of, you can guarantee that there will be focus on service expansion to underserved areas.
There is also New Jersey Transit projects that include a proposed light rail line and 2 bus-rapid transit lines from South Jersey to Philly. People always seem to forget that SEPTA isn't the only transit agency in Philly.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
HUH? A city with a huge number of crime-ridden neighborhoods pushing rates to Detroit/Chicago levels is crime ridden to most reasonable adults.
Ok man, whatever you say. You are clearly the know-all Philadelphia expert and I am just an ignorant little child.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:18 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
There is also New Jersey Transit projects that include a proposed light rail line and 2 bus-rapid transit lines from South Jersey to Philly. People always seem to forget that SEPTA isn't the only transit agency in Philly.
Yes, and sorry for not recognizing PATCO and NJT. They, too, are important transit providers in the Philly area.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Oh so your the one who put us through all that

To be honest i'm happy our system is this way.. it cuts down on fraudulent claims. Having first hand experience with our immigration system I felt very good and secure with their processes. Good job!

Afonega making another patently false claim about something he doesn't understand - big surprise!
LOL. I'm not exactly the one that puts people through, but I do have something specific to do with immigration documents when it comes to my job. I wont say what I exactly do for the feds, but I do encounter various immigration documents and interact with other federal government departments as well almost on a daily basis.

But I agree, it does help cut down on fraudulent claims. You wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen and heard. Canada does do a good job when it comes to immigration policies, but just like anything else, there is always room for improvement.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 AM

111 posts, read 166,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
If you haven't had a Peameal Bacon Sandwich from Carousel at St Lawrence market you are truly missing out.

St. Lawrence Market : Directory Individual Vendor - St Lawrence market btw has won tons of accolades and they are highly recommended by Nat Geo.

Top 10 Food Markets -- National Geographic

Aside from that, it is more difficult for an uber diverse city like Toronto to have a defining anything. We simply have more of a little bit of everything than most places.
It is easy to blame Toronto of lacking defining features... but you could say the same thing about Montreal, or any other Canadian city. (Though Americans love Montreal because they talk French, its like a cheap trip to France)

For example, Toronto has awesome portuguese rotisserie chicken, owing to its huge portuguese population, that is widespread and popular around the city. This is pretty unique. Bet no American knows about that.

The issue is that Americans know nothing about Canada because the media doesn't cover it. You have movies, tv shows, music, etc, made about American cities. Outside of Philly, no one would know of the famous cheesesteak if it wasn't for the media. That is how everything becomes popular.

Canada is a small country population-wise, so it will never have the exposure the U.S. does.

Toronto (and the rest of Canada) has alot to offer but you have to be willing to explore, instead of being led there by others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City