Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Boston vs Los Angeles vs the Bay Area
Seattle 28 19.05%
Boston 35 23.81%
Los Angeles 50 34.01%
the Bay Area 34 23.13%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 10:51 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
LA is the best suburban sprawl North America can offer.

as a person who's spent 300 of his last 900 or so days in LA i can state unequivocally:

Topping LA in terms of real urban life, everything, day, nightlife, etc

1. New York

2. DC/Chicago
4. San Francisco
5. Boston
6. Miami

i like LA's nice parts generally. but its not that great for people over ~35. Then too, everything is wayyy too spread out. Is a 36~50 year old going to spend his/her life on Sunset Strip? The great 70's bands are gone. Sorry; it's not that great. You spend half your life in your car. Yes, it beats Seattle, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Kansas City, etc. i could be in LA or Santa Monica, or Venice or Newport Beach or Oceanside or *Pacific Beach (college years when i strayed off the UCSD campus) and it's basically all about the same: "Cocktails." i like Malibu too. But it ostensibly shuts down after 9:30 pm on weekdays and about 11:30 pm on weekends. The ultra rich are just as much the ultra busy. They're early risers and prefer to beat the traffic to the studios.

Late fall, early spring, California ALL THE WAY.....

Most of LA and Orange County has become a suburban dump and a freak show.

Weather IS extremely significant. And that is really a wonderful aspect about California living. For 1/2 the year, the Northeast blows California's sun baked doors. But it reverses in the cold months. i'm very fortunate to drink up both til i'm almost incapacitated.
Lol! I really don’t think you know the area as well as you think you do.

The only thing those beach cities have in common is air and water temp.

To say most of LA and OC are suburban dumping grounds, and freak shows, is laughable.

And to claim the northeast has better weather half the year is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read in some time.

I’m not completely disagreeing with your list, although I think DC is way too high, I’m wondering where Seattle is, Boston’s urban core is very small(although I love it), and I don’t think you give LA enough credit in that department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 11:39 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Fair.

I dig me some Pasadena. I'm not sure why.. I just do. On par with Berkeley for me as the most livable Cali cities.
Have you tried the Culver City / Palms area? In my opinion, it's one of the best urban nodes in Los Angeles. There's the Expo Line service, which while slow in parts, connects to a lot of other good neighborhoods and commercial strips and the Culver City Bus services are quite good. There's a real downtown that serves as an employment center along with having a lot of niceties and Palms is really interesting as a very dense, mostly multi-unit apartment complexes on the westside.

I think when the Inglewood Oil Field finally stops churning, those grounds are prime areas to set up a sizable park (aside from the parkland already in that area), then we've really got a stew going,

Old 07-17-2018, 03:38 PM

1,122 posts, read 926,121 times
i love Glendale, Eagle Rock & Pasadena....

but, in the summer it's often Texas-Panhandle HOTT.

btw, fresh population numbers out for Boston; ~693,000 give or take

Density ~14,312/ sq mi

Last edited by odurandina; 07-17-2018 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City