Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Boston vs Los Angeles vs the Bay Area
Seattle 28 19.05%
Boston 35 23.81%
Los Angeles 50 34.01%
the Bay Area 34 23.13%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

By structurally denser I'm also referring to the distance between buildings streets/sidwealks. I mean you could build even higher like some areas of Toronto do but on the ground level it doesn't feel that urban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
By structurally denser I'm also referring to the distance between buildings streets/sidwealks. I mean you could build even higher like some areas of Toronto do but on the ground level it doesn't feel that urban.
By that measure, both Paris and Barcelona are denser than Manhattan. Taken its extreme, some old city with narrow streets is structurally denser than Manhattan.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Charl...198.06,,0,-0.9

Old 12-05-2013, 11:33 AM

281 posts, read 473,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It's only denser b/c it's full of some of the poorest and most uneducated people crammed in squalor of all of LA county. It isn't structurally denser.
It may not but it sure feels like a Hell of a lot bigger city driving through the streets in the core, Boston feels small in comparison.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
It may not but it sure feels like a Hell of a lot bigger city driving through the streets in the core, Boston feels small in comparison.
I agree - you lived in Boston right? Boston does feel very urban in places but it is such a small overall area that it cannot stand up to Los Angeles in my experience. Los Angeles has nothing like Back Bay or the North End, but people need to remember areas like this make up like 1/5 of Boston's area. The majority of the city is a mix of detached triple/double deckers, apartment buildings and single family homes.

Both cities have a lot of neighborhoods that are "streetcar urban".

Old 12-05-2013, 12:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Single family homes are less than 1/8 the housing stock in Boston, Cambridge and Somerville. IMO, most of the triple/double decker are more walkable than by the appearance of similar urban Los Angeles and just nicer in neighborhood style.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Single family homes are less than 1/8 the housing stock in Boston, Cambridge and Somerville. IMO, most of the triple/double decker are more walkable than by the appearance of similar urban Los Angeles and just nicer in neighborhood style.
Interesting that it is so low - means that despite the very-urban part of Boston only being a relatively small part of the city limits, most people in Boston probably live in the urban parts (i.e. Roslindale and West Roxbury are very low-populated compared to the South End and Beacon Hill).

I believe in Los Angeles SFH make up about 1/2 of the housing stock - though I wonder what places with backyard units count as? This is something that has becoming increasingly common in SFH neighborhoods in Los Angeles, particularly South LA and the Eastside.

As far as what I think is nicer in neighborhood style, I think it really depends. Areas like Highland Park and Fairfax District which have a lot of duplexes / triplexes and SFHs I think provides an equal "neighborhood" experience to places like Brighton, Jamaica Plain, Somerville.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I agree - you lived in Boston right? Boston does feel very urban in places but it is such a small overall area that it cannot stand up to Los Angeles in my experience. Los Angeles has nothing like Back Bay or the North End, but people need to remember areas like this make up like 1/5 of Boston's area. The majority of the city is a mix of detached triple/double deckers, apartment buildings and single family homes.

Both cities have a lot of neighborhoods that are "streetcar urban".
yes I lived in Boston for 3 years and in no way did its core feel as hectic as LA's, Boston to me always felt very sleepy, beautiful architecture though, something I wish LA had, Boston is "small town" urban, LA feels more big city urban.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Could of fooled me, all those triple deckers seemed like large homes to me.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Interesting that it is so low - means that despite the very-urban part of Boston only being a relatively small part of the city limits, most people in Boston probably live in the urban parts (i.e. Roslindale and West Roxbury are very low-populated compared to the South End and Beacon Hill).

I believe in Los Angeles SFH make up about 1/2 of the housing stock - though I wonder what places with backyard units count as? This is something that has becoming increasingly common in SFH neighborhoods in Los Angeles, particularly South LA and the Eastside.

As far as what I think is nicer in neighborhood style, I think it really depends. Areas like Highland Park and Fairfax District which have a lot of duplexes / triplexes and SFHs I think provides an equal "neighborhood" experience to places like Brighton, Jamaica Plain, Somerville.
That may be true for the city as a whole, but what about the core which is the same size of Boston?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
That may be true for the city as a whole, but what about the core which is the same size of Boston?
West Hollywood is pretty much just like Hollywood proper and East Hollywood, and less multi-family housing oriented than Koreatown and Westlake:
Housing units in structures:

• One, detached: 1,813
  • One, attached: 682
  • Two: 841
  • 3 or 4: 995
  • 5 to 9: 4,247
  • 10 to 19: 6,243
  • 20 to 49: 5,556
  • 50 or more: 3,733
That makes about 21,000 over 2 units, and 2500 in one unit - about 90 percent. However areas like Silver Lake, Echo Park, Pico Union and Boyle Heights surround the core of Los Angeles and are probably less multi-family housing oriented. I'm guessing blindly but I'd say it is probably 60-70 percent multifamily in those areas.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
West Hollywood is pretty much just like Hollywood proper and East Hollywood, and less multi-family housing oriented than Koreatown and Westlake:
Housing units in structures:

• One, detached: 1,813
  • One, attached: 682
  • Two: 841
  • 3 or 4: 995
  • 5 to 9: 4,247
  • 10 to 19: 6,243
  • 20 to 49: 5,556
  • 50 or more: 3,733
That makes about 21,000 over 2 units, and 2500 in one unit - about 90 percent. However areas like Silver Lake, Echo Park, Pico Union and Boyle Heights surround the core of Los Angeles and are probably less multi-family housing oriented. I'm guessing blindly but I'd say it is probably 60-70 percent multifamily in those areas.
Pico Union?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City