Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 PM

562 posts, read 989,418 times

Advertisements

As someone who has been to both but is from the midwest, I'd have to say San Francisco. New York City is an awesome city, truly a world city but I don't think I would ever live there. Barring the insane COL (SF is no walk in the park), I get sort of an "establishment" feel. Sort of like I wouldn't make friends or go far in career because I was not raised in "old money" and I don't have high-place connections. I feel as if I would be able to establish a more comfortable life out west.

And the weather out west is significantly better, I'm about done with this snow madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 03:44 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Do you even know what she sings? And more importantly, do you know how she looks?
Don't find her attractive, don't like her music... her voice is so weak and uninteresting... but hey, to each his or her own.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Don't find her attractive, don't like her music... her voice is so weak and uninteresting... but hey, to each his or her own.
yeah she sings that VH1 song

She is pretty attractive... and I'm mostly just being a d**k - I'm sure if she got up and sang at a bar I wouldn't just walk out.

I was mostly just trying to make a point. What is cool to and makes Harlem so vibrant in your opinion is kind of boring to me - on the flip side the artists from SF that I would flip out about would probably be boring / weird to you.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
yeah she sings that VH1 song

She is pretty attractive... and I'm mostly just being a d**k - I'm sure if she got up and sang at a bar I wouldn't just walk out.
I dunno, she just has that something about her overall look that is totally off my radar, and I really don't like her hair. It's also kind of funny that, after all this talk of SF having unattractive girls with no booty, we have as an example of a New York babe a thin, flat-reared girl who I could easily see walking down the street near the UC Berkeley campus on her way back from yoga. LOL.

Quote:
I was mostly just trying to make a point. What is cool to and makes Harlem so vibrant in your opinion is kind of boring to me - on the flip side the artists from SF that I would flip out about would probably be boring / weird to you.
See, I honestly would get up and leave... haha. That sort of music is seriously thumbs-down for me. It's like Coldplay... just with a girl singing. Beige carpet, unintrusive, uninteresting, sleepy... etc.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
. When's the last time Elle Varner or Corinne Bailey Rae came through the TL for a live dinner performance?
Corrine Bailey Rae played in the Regency Ballroom on the western edge of the Tenderloin on April 15, 2010, apparently.

Corinne Bailey Rae Tickets at The Regency Ballroom in San Francisco, CA on April 15, 2010 - Zvents (http://www.zvents.com/z/san_francisco_ca/corinne-bailey-rae--events--99036225#venue_map - broken link)

Don't know about Elle Varner, but in the next few weeks you could walk to the Warfield Theatre(on Market Street on the south end of the Tenderolin) to see Lauren Hill or Elvis Costello or up to the Great American Music Hall to see Los Campesinos or over to the Orpheum to see a Broadway show or maybe even something at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. Walk a little further to the west (walking, not taking a train for 20 minutes) and you can see jazz at Yoshi's or Built to Spill at the Fillmore or something at the Independent. The Tenderloin is actually one of the best positioned neighborhoods in terms of live music and events in San Francisco, considering it borders the theater district of SF.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 PM

32,108 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
That's true. But I think NYC has that extra dimension that many cities don't have, which I would call black haute culture. A large, black professional class that is less hip-hop oriented and more into alternative forms of African American and Caribbean artistic expression. Even if you don't like it, at least the option's there to be exercised if you need more variety.

Clinton Hill

Old 02-06-2012, 04:06 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Corrine Bailey Rae played in the Regency Ballroom on the western edge of the Tenderloin on April 15, 2010, apparently.

Corinne Bailey Rae Tickets at The Regency Ballroom in San Francisco, CA on April 15, 2010 - Zvents (http://www.zvents.com/z/san_francisco_ca/corinne-bailey-rae--events--99036225#venue_map - broken link)

Don't know about Elle Varner, but in the next few weeks you could walk to the Warfield Theatre(on Market Street on the south end of the Tenderolin) to see Lauren Hill or Elvis Costello or up to the Great American Music Hall to see Los Campesinos or over to the Orpheum to see a Broadway show or maybe even something at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. Walk a little further to the west (walking, not taking a train for 20 minutes) and you can see jazz at Yoshi's or Built to Spill at the Fillmore or something at the Independent. The Tenderloin is actually one of the best positioned neighborhoods in terms of live music and events in San Francisco, considering it borders the theater district of SF.
Good points, I do think Yoshi's is in Oakland though...

[should probably look things up before I post - there's one in SF too]

Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I dunno, she just has that something about her overall look that is totally off my radar, and I really don't like her hair. It's also kind of funny that, after all this talk of SF having unattractive girls with no booty, we have as an example of a New York babe a thin, flat-reared girl who I could easily see walking down the street near the UC Berkeley campus on her way back from yoga. LOL.
I have four weaknesses: (1) curly hair; (2) girls in the 5'7 to 5'9 height range; (3) British accents; and (4) dancers. CBR has three of those things working for her. Although she's not a dancer, she has that dancer frame, and there's something so quintessentially feminine and whimsical about dancers. That probably explains why they're often the flakiest women you'll ever deal with.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:

There's one in SF and Oakland, I believe. I saw McCoy Tyner perform there.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:11 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:

Yeah, the Yoshi's in Oakland is bigger and seems to get better jazz acts than the one in San Francisco, but it's nice to have the new one in San Francisco too... The one in Oakland is probably one of my favorite jazz venues I've been to outside of places I went to in New York.

And I forgot about the Boom Boom Room(owned by bluesman John Lee Hooker before he died) up by the Fillmore and Yoshi's as well. Great place to see some good funk bands and blues musicians...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City