Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,857,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not underrating anything. Harlem absolutely demolishes the Tenderloin. You end up paying about the same rent only you get better train access,
You can walk from one end of the Tenderloin to the other in about 15 minutes, you have easy access to the Civic Center and Union Square stations, and there are busses that run through the area.

Quote:
better restaurants,
100% disagree with this. 100%.

Quote:
better nightlife,
There are plenty of good bars in the TL.

Quote:
and better looking people in Harlem than you do in the Tenderloin.
I have an affinity for Vietnamese and Cambodian girls, and there's a pretty dense concentration of them in the Western part of the TL.

Quote:
You can't find this type of vibrancy in the Tenderloin.
Great, are we gonna get more videos of booty clapping to caribbean beats again?

Between the two, I'd chose the TL because it's in SF; that said, I would and could chose many other areas of SF over the TL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 02:41 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about, Manhattan is incredibly expensive. I live above on 103rd Street on the Upper West Side and pay over $1,500 for a shoebox apartment, which after an extensive search turned out to be a steal. The average price of a studio is around 1,800 to 2,000 dollars, even when you're not in the trendy "Jay-Z and Gwyneth Paltrow" neighborhoods. An $1,100 studio is unheard of anywhere around here, unless you're deep into Harlem above 125th Street.

Another thing about NYC is that it is common practice to pay a broker fee when you're doing an apartment, which can run anywhere between 10 to 15 percent of annual rent. Which makes your initial payment on an apartment incredibly expensive. Regardless, I say its worth it!

Additionally, I think there are some better deals out in Brooklyn, where living in a fun and vibrant neighborhood can be done much more affordably.
Brokers fees were the most absurd thing I had ever heard of when I was in Boston. I couldn't believe I had to drop a grand to pay some idiot to photocopy a couple of forms for me. Luckily in Boston it was fairly easy to find places without the fee... Sounds like that is not the case in NY?

Anyways I didn't notice broker's fees when I was briefly looking for a place in SF and none when I was looking in LA. Must be more of an East coast thing.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Brokers fees were the most absurd thing I had ever heard of when I was in Boston. I couldn't believe I had to drop a grand to pay some idiot to photocopy a couple of forms for me. Luckily in Boston it was fairly easy to find places without the fee... Sounds like that is not the case in NY?

Anyways I didn't notice broker's fees when I was briefly looking for a place in SF and none when I was looking in LA. Must be more of an East coast thing.
definitely. The cloest you really have are places like Westside rentals, where you just,pay a fee for exclusive listings.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM

32,091 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
You can walk from one end of the Tenderloin to the other in about 15 minutes, you have easy access to the Civic Center and Union Square stations, and there are busses that run through the area.
Eh....it's not quite the same as having 24-hour train service and express train service at that. Plus, Harlem has easy access to the rest of Manhattan.

Quote:
100% disagree with this. 100%.
Harlem offers many more options. We can disagree all day long on the quality of those options.

Quote:
There are plenty of good bars in the TL.
Nothing like Red Rooster, Harlem Tavern, Shrine, Body or the Hudson River Cafe. When's the last time Elle Varner or Corinne Bailey Rae came through the TL for a live dinner performance?

Quote:
I have an affinity for Vietnamese and Cambodian girls, and there's a pretty dense concentration of them in the Western part of the TL.
And Harlem has models and girls who are dressed fresh to death. Not girls walking around in ugly North Face jackets.

Quote:
If you want it. Do the women in San Francisco even have booties to clap? I guess they've got back...in a very literal sense....like, lower back.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:22 PM

36,654 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:

That's what it always boils down to for some people. LOL.

Quote:

Between the two, I'd chose the TL because it's in SF; that said, I would and could chose many other areas of SF over the TL.
The Tenderloin has a far more prominent location in SF than Harlem does in Manhattan.

The Tenderloin is pretty much in the center of things whereas Harlem by comparison is an exiled hinterland that nobody in Downtown or Midtown or even south of 110th really goes to. In SF you have to go through the Tenderloin in many instances to get to somewhere else.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Tenderloin is pretty much in the center of things whereas Harlem by comparison is an exiled hinterland that nobody in Downtown or Midtown or even south of 110th really goes to. In SF you have to go through the Tenderloin in many instances to get to somewhere else.
And yet Harlem is world famous and the Tenderloin is known as...

a type of beef?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Eh....it's not quite the same as having 24-hour train service and express train service at that. Plus, Harlem has easy access to the rest of Manhattan.
No, it's not, but then, one of the reasons I love SF is because it's not NYC.

Quote:
Harlem offers many more options. We can disagree all day long on the quality of those options.
Definitely. The TL has a much wider variety

Quote:
Nothing like Red Rooster, Harlem Tavern, Shrine, Body or the Hudson River Cafe. When's the last time Elle Varner or Corinne Bailey Rae came through the TL for a live dinner performance?
I think dinner theatre/performance is lame. Does Harlem have the Edinburgh Castle, Olive, First Crush, or Bourbon & Branch? No. What does this really prove?

Quote:
And Harlem has models
... it's also how much larger than the TL?

Quote:
and girls who are dressed fresh to death. Not girls walking around in ugly North Face jackets.
So, it's different from the rest of NYC then? No one in SF wears that stuff. There's no need to, and it looks dumb.

Quote:
If you want it. Do the women in San Francisco even have booties to clap? I guess they've got back...in a very literal sense....like, lower back.
Yeah, there's no such thing as a nice booty in the whole of SF. Zzzzz. Come off it. Harlem is OK, but it's located in NYC, which is a big downside for me. The TL is hardly my favorite nabe in SF, but, it's in my favorite city, which is a huge plus. Between the two, I'd take the TL; pref. on the very north, or very western edges. It's not like I spend much time at home anyway... and from a couple bocks in any direction, I'd be in a totally different neighborhood.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
This is about as subjective as it comes... I would probably leave the bar and go next door if Corinne Bailey Rae came and started performing impromptu.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, there's no such thing as a nice booty in the whole of SF. Zzzzz. Come off it.
Depends on what you call a "nice booty." I was having lunch with a white co-worker when this Puerto Rican chick walks by with a bubble. The white guy says, "Ew. She's got a fat butt!" Then two construction workers, one black and one Puerto Rican, walk past her, turn around, and then give me this look like "Whoa!" When a woman walks past me on the street, I immediately turn my head around and look down to check her assets. If she's lacking, I hear that game show music in my head: "Wonk, wonk, wonk, wonk, wonnnnnnk. Thanks for playing." LOL.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
This is about as subjective as it comes... I would probably leave the bar and go next door if Corinne Bailey Rae came and started performing impromptu.
Do you even know what she sings? And more importantly, do you know how she looks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City