Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap/hip-hop scene?
Atlanta 152 42.58%
New York 127 35.57%
Los Angeles 86 24.09%
Chicago 44 12.32%
Toronto 16 4.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 01:40 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Fair enough, I think I misread your original post. I'm all about lyricism as well (Joell Ortiz/Slaughterhouse ftw!) but there's a sweet spot too, when it comes to airplay. If it was just about lyrics, NYC dominates imo, since there's always several artists who pop in NYC...and nowhere else (Papoose, Saigon, Joell Ortiz, Joey Bada$$, etc). But I can respect your opinion. Maybe I'll start searching out for Philly artists (power 99 never breaks in artists lol).

Nice list, btw. I actually have Big Sean at 2 right now, due to his unique flow, and I haven't even heard a new Lupe song in a minute, but fairly accurate list.
Also for NYC (both underground and mainstream):

Pro Era (they, along with Joey, are definitely becoming more well-known beyond NYC)
World's Fair (especially Bodega Bamz and Remy Banks)
Action Bronson
Azealia Banks (she has even more significant recognition in Europe)
The Underachievers
Flatbush Zombies
Rat King
Smoke DZA
A$AP Rocky
A$AP Ferg
A$AP Mob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 02:50 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
At least Houston has its own style while Atlanta steals other regions styles. Atl stole crank from Memphis they sip syrup like Houston.
That's not really a big thing in GA. You would have been better off saying Atlanta adopted Miami's Bass Music. ATL was heavy on Miami's Bass sound.

Quote:
What has the Atlanta rap scene invented besides trap music? Club music is everywhere. People are sippin syrup everywhere now.
He didnt say create or originate, he said evolution. ATL artists started making Miami-style Bass music and had some regional success, but none were more popular than Miami's Uncle Luke and the music sounded the exact same, so I wouldnt say they "evolved" Bass Music. ATL did, however, put their own spin on "crunk" and eventually became more known for it than the originators, Memphis. You cant blame ATL for that though. They never said they started it. Guys like Lil Jon and Pastor Troy worked close with Memphis artists and acknowledge Memphis as the birthplace.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:14 AM

I dont know how old some of you are, but have you guys realized how big of an impact Chicago is having right now? And I dont mean for the better. As an 80s baby, it took me awhile to accept and realize how big of a deal twitter, instagram, etc, plays a part in this, but their "drill" music scene has a huge influence on the youth, it's just not mainstream/radio music.

They have the 21 and under crowd saying Chicago street slang, keeping up with every gang related rapper murder in Chicago, pretending to have an "allegiance" to certain Chicago gangs and all.

They're going around saying
"opp" (opposition; rival gang member)
"thot" (promiscuous female)
"you dont want smoke" (you dont want problems or to get shot)
"you're a goofy" (a lame person)
"BDK" (Black Disciple Killer; Showing disrespect for the Black Disciples gang, even though most of them live in cities that dont have Black Disciples. They say this because they are picking sides in a local Chicago gang war, which has several rappers representing various different gangs.)

Kids as far as Europe are copycatting Chicago's "Drill" music, which basically consists of a bunch of guys who make homemade resembling videos bouncing around usually holding weapons talking about who they are going to shoot or beat up. It's incredibly sad and pathetic. Many of these young boys in Chicago are dying and these silly kids are trying their best to imitate these Chicago rappers they see on youtube and instagram. It's ironic because while the kids are imitating Chicago, the entire "Drill Music" scene is basically an imitation itself, of Waka Flocka and Gucci Mane southern style "Trap Music"

Some kids in Virginia got arrested for imitating Chicago's Drill Rap when they had illegal firearms in their video.

It's really getting annoying. Check out this news clip.

There are kids even in NYC/NJ making "drill" music videos talking about their "opps"

If you go to this Chicago-based "Kollege Kidd" Youtube channel, they basically post all things Chicago related and get lots of views. The comment section is always filled with teenagers who arent even from Chicago threatening each other over local Chicago gang beefs. It seems middle class white teenage boys are among the biggest followers of "drill" music.

I wouldn't know a thing about any of these new, young Chicago rappers if it weren't for the internet, but their social media following is so huge that every time a thread is made about one of them on a particular Hip Hop forum I visit, the post count is just as large or even larger than threads made about the likes of Jay-Z, Kanye West, Drake, etc.

i.e. It was a huge deal when this kid died not too long ago, yet I've never heard anything by this guy mainstream wise.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-28-2015 at 03:31 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 03:54 AM

Quote:
I actually hope Houston stays underground it's a very unique scene that I hope stays true to it's roots.
I love the old Houston sound, but it seems like Houston and everywhere else is buying into the same mainstream sound. Everybody, generally speaking, is rapping over "Trap Beats" and they try to either flow like Future or Migos.

Years ago, you could immediately hear songs like this and KNOW the artist was from Atlanta, not any more.

Here's rap nowadays. 95% of mainstream rap sounds like a copy of Future, Migos, or it has DJ Mustard/Cali production. Then you have a ton of younger guys making wanna be Chief Keef, Chicago "Chiraq" Drill underground videos.

Houston Rapper

New Jersey Rapper

So many people are going against the traditional "sound" of their area, and basically sound like they are from Atlanta.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:11 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
I dont know how old some of you are, but have you guys realized how big of an impact Chicago is having right now? And I dont mean for the better. As an 80s baby, it took me awhile to accept and realize how big of a deal twitter, instagram, etc, plays a part in this, but their "drill" music scene has a huge influence on the youth, it's just not mainstream/radio music.

They have the 21 and under crowd saying Chicago street slang, keeping up with every gang related rapper murder in Chicago, pretending to have an "allegiance" to certain Chicago gangs and all.

They're going around saying
"opp" (opposition; rival gang member)
"thot" (promiscuous female)
"you dont want smoke" (you dont want problems or to get shot)
"you're a goofy" (a lame person)
"BDK" (Black Disciple Killer; Showing disrespect for the Black Disciples gang, even though most of them live in cities that dont have Black Disciples. They say this because they are picking sides in a local Chicago gang war, which has several rappers representing various different gangs.)

Some kids in Virginia got arrested for imitating Chicago's Drill Rap when they had illegal firearms in their video.

You are right about some things. Chicagos rap scene is underrated on here and is up there or beyond LAs and ATLs...depending on what you are measuring.

one thing though...EVERYONE borrows everyone elses slang at different times...callin folks "goofy" "fufu" and sayin "you don't want no smoke" is not just a Chicago thing.

And as far as imitating Chi-town with their lil video...Chi-town aint invent that either...them knuckleheads over on that side (Newport Newz/ Hampton) been shootin dumb azz incriminating videos way before any so called "drill" music ever took off.

And for real...people aint start trynna get "REAL" explicit in videos until after Pusha Ts Exodus 23:1. Made Drake change his whole sound and singlehandedly had folks question their fascination with YMCMB and the rap game at the time....a lot of "realness" came back into the game AFTER that video ...and Push and them always been good with JoJo Capone and some Chi town cats slide thru here like everyone else. Also, I wouldn't call that "look" Chi-town been wearing for the last 4 years --a Chi town look-- either, (Dreads and fresh gear) but its all good.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 07-28-2015 at 06:28 AM..

Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
Chicago drill scene is copying Atlanta trap scene,Lil rappers running around with dreads screaming f*ck ni**a & all that club music,Chicago does have talent but i gotta call it like i see it .

Atlanta today has
Future
Young Thug
Rich Homie
Migos
Gucci

LA today has
King Kendrick
Yg
Nipsey hussle
Ty dolla sign
Dj mustard
Schoolboy Q
Kid ink
Jhene
Tyga
Joe moses
Dom Kennedy
Rj
Compton Av
Vince Staples
Hospin
Many more so yeah LA & Atl up there

Old 07-28-2015, 04:05 PM

708 posts, read 999,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Chicago drill scene is copying Atlanta trap scene,Lil rappers running around with dreads screaming f*ck ni**a & all that club music,Chicago does have talent but i gotta call it like i see it .

Atlanta today has
Future
Young Thug
Rich Homie
Migos
Gucci

LA today has
King Kendrick
Yg
Nipsey hussle
Ty dolla sign
Dj mustard
Schoolboy Q
Kid ink
Jhene
Tyga
Joe moses
Dom Kennedy
Rj
Compton Av
Vince Staples
Hospin
Many more so yeah LA & Atl up there
Exactly, but Chicago can't get people turnt though with they music.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:02 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times
Most of the mainstream rappers today are garbage, and they come from all cities. The only one I have mad respect for and consider to be very talented is Kendrick.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
Most of the mainstream rappers today are garbage, and they come from all cities. The only one I have mad respect for and consider to be very talented is Kendrick.
No love for Big Sean, J. Cole, Drake and Nicki? They may all be commercial as **** (Cole less so) but you're gonna deny their talent?

Old 07-28-2015, 05:52 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
No love for Big Sean, J. Cole, Drake and Nicki? They may all be commercial as **** (Cole less so) but you're gonna deny their talent?
Nah and mainstream big sean is hit and miss. underground big sean>>>>>>>>>>>>mainstream big sean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City