Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Austin 56 62.92%
SLC 33 37.08%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:29 PM

603 posts, read 931,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The beer in SLC is also watered down, winner Austin. I think if you extended Austin's area out as far as SLC's CSA in area you would already be in San Antonio.
Sometimes people for some reason care whether somebody is commuting somewhere farther, vs people actually living there who work locally. If people are actually there, I think that is a better qualifier, who cares where they work.
How do you come up with this? Are you looking at the Tooele County line that extends all the way to Nevada? That county is like 95% uninhabited with all the people centered around the town of Tooele, which is only 34 miles from downtown SLC. If that is not what you are looking at, then I have no idea how you came up with statement above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 04:19 PM

67 posts, read 126,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNorthman View Post
Where did you get this? Not sure what you are taking into account so I'll make a stab at this.

SLC to Ogden? 38 miles. SLC to Provo? 45 miles.

Austin to New Braunfels? 49 miles. Austin to Temple? 68 miles.

Settlement along these distances is not comparable either. Allowing for mountains, the stretch of cities in Utah is pretty much continuous. Austin to New Braunfels? No. Austin to Temple? Hell no.

The Salt Lake City area has significant geographic features to force settlement into an overwhelmingly north-south line. Austin does not have that.

For the people saying Salt Lake City has a metro population of 1.2 million, that is for SLC MSA only. It is part of a larger CSA that is split into three metros. The CSA has about 2.3 million.

I know there is the debate about CSA vs MSA but it isn't always so simple to say one is valid and the other worthless. In the case of SLC, the CSA seems more valid since settlement is continuous when allowing for mountain barriers. People commute from one section to another for work and play. Los Angeles is another example of where the CSA seems a better measurement. The true measure of the size of SLC metro is the CSA with 2.3 million, not the MSA.

You make good points about MSA vs CSA not always being cut and dry. Regarding Austin to San Antonio though, there is pretty continuous development along 35 now. North of Georgetown in Austin, I agree with. Lot of open space to Temple area.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Quote:
Where did you get this? Not sure what you are taking into account so I'll make a stab at this.

SLC to Ogden? 38 miles. SLC to Provo? 45 miles.

Austin to New Braunfels? 49 miles. Austin to Temple? 68 miles.

Settlement along these distances is not comparable either. Allowing for mountains, the stretch of cities in Utah is pretty much continuous. Austin to New Braunfels? No. Austin to Temple? Hell no.

The Salt Lake City area has significant geographic features to force settlement into an overwhelmingly north-south line. Austin does not have that.

For the people saying Salt Lake City has a metro population of 1.2 million, that is for SLC MSA only. It is part of a larger CSA that is split into three metros. The CSA has about 2.3 million.

I know there is the debate about CSA vs MSA but it isn't always so simple to say one is valid and the other worthless. In the case of SLC, the CSA seems more valid since settlement is continuous when allowing for mountain barriers. People commute from one section to another for work and play. Los Angeles is another example of where the CSA seems a better measurement. The true measure of the size of SLC metro is the CSA with 2.3 million, not the MSA.
I got if from google maps, btw how far does the SLC CSA go out. Brigham City, Logan? Also it says it takes 1 1/2 hr to get to Brigham City to Provo. Thats nearly the same distance from Temple to San Marcos. I make a mistake for adding New Braunfels.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:59 AM

603 posts, read 931,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I got if from google maps, btw how far does the SLC CSA go out. Brigham City, Logan? Also it says it takes 1 1/2 hr to get to Brigham City to Provo. Thats nearly the same distance from Temple to San Marcos. I make a mistake for adding New Braunfels.
No, the CSA doesn't go to either Brigham City or Logan. To the north, it ends at Weber County, the county Ogden is in. So your statement about distance from Brigham City to Provo is not relevant. The distance from Ogden to Provo is 80 miles. From Temple to San Marcos is 98 miles. Again though, there are significant geographic boundaries to consider in Utah. Mountains rise over a mile from the valley floor to the east and the west. The Great Salt Lake forces settlements to the north of SLC into a very narrow band up to Ogden. The point being is that distances are forced by geography in the SLC area while they are not in Austin. Still, the distances are not the same as what you are stating.

This isn't really the purpose of this thread but I'm correcting bad info.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 AM

67 posts, read 126,866 times
Quote:
No, the CSA doesn't go to either Brigham City or Logan. To the north, it ends at Weber County, the county Ogden is in. So your statement about distance from Brigham City to Provo is not relevant. The distance from Ogden to Provo is 80 miles. From Temple to San Marcos is 98 miles. Again though, there are significant geographic boundaries to consider in Utah. Mountains rise over a mile from the valley floor to the east and the west. The Great Salt Lake forces settlements to the north of SLC into a very narrow band up to Ogden. The point being is that distances are forced by geography in the SLC area while they are not in Austin. Still, the distances are not the same as what you are stating.

It is far more educational than the standard CvC posts, so I think we appreciate it! Austin actually has some of the same problems to a far less degree regarding the hill country to the west. Because of the geography, there is much less development and major roads to support it. Also almost all of the hill country is in sensitive recharge zones and ecological areas that limit development further. You can see this in night time imagery of the Austin area. It is why so much development has happened north of Austin vs south Austin where there are many more limitations. Just west of 35 is where you hit the hill country and run into all the above mentioned issues so besides urban growth, much of the suburban growth has happened closer to the 35 corridor.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:41 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Quote:

Thank you for correcting. I haven't been to SLC in many years so can remember much. But from what I heard and looked at SLC covers a vast area and makes sense to build North & South due to the mountains and the great Salt Lake.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:26 PM

4 posts, read 3,012 times
Extremely tardy to the party but I'll chime in since I'm moving to Austin, and while I'm moving from somewhere else, I've lived in SLC and thought it would be a good point of comparison before my move.

You can compare 1.8 to 1.2 and hem and haw over the significance of the numbers all you want, but those numbers do nothing to tell you about the nature of the people that number represents. While the city of Salt Lake is slightly less so than the rest of the CSA in this regard, it is OVERWHELMINGLY Mormon there. If you want to include Provo in your raw numbers so be it, but this increase in population does not translate to cosmopolitanism, not by a long shot. If you are not LDS and you stick yourself in the middle of Provo, you're in for an unbelievable culture shock. I was treated quite cordially even as a minority in my time in Utah, but make no mistake that your potential social circle will be tremendously limited if you are not part of the church. Insularity is the name of the game there. It doesn't matter if I'm in a community of 100k or 1million Mormons, I'll be just as cut off.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:23 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I call total BS on the above post. DT Austin is indeed small, around one square mile, but there is not a single high rise condo building that does not have street level retail on every side. Austin is not a major city, but for an MSA of under 2M, only Las Vegas and NOLA have comparable nightlife. 78701, the zip code of downtown Austin has MORE liquor licenses than any zip code in the ENTIRE U.S. There are 300 bars, restaurants and nightclubs in that square mile. The vast majority of people hanging out in downtown Austin are not college students who tend to hang out on the Drag or West Campus, northwest of downtown. Any night of the week, downtown Austin is WAY busier than downtown SLC, and ditto for the adjacent neighborhoods: South Congress, Clarksville, Central East Austin (one of the liveliest hipster neighborhoods in the US, along with Williamsburg, Brooklyn and the Pearl district in Portland) and the neighborhoods just north and west of the UT campus. Downtown Austin is small and compact with several entertainment districts next to each other, entirely walkable and it hops seven nights a week. Downtown SLC not so much.
Correct. Austin is a sprawl, but the core area is pretty lively.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:50 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Hard decision.

More Lively: Austin
More Urban: SLC
More Walkable: SLC
More Friendly: Not sure. Probably Austin
Built Environment: I'll say SLC
I’m definitely changing my answer to Austin overall.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:55 PM

229 posts, read 217,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omarciddo View Post
Extremely tardy to the party but I'll chime in since I'm moving to Austin, and while I'm moving from somewhere else, I've lived in SLC and thought it would be a good point of comparison before my move.

You can compare 1.8 to 1.2 and hem and haw over the significance of the numbers all you want, but those numbers do nothing to tell you about the nature of the people that number represents. While the city of Salt Lake is slightly less so than the rest of the CSA in this regard, it is OVERWHELMINGLY Mormon there. If you want to include Provo in your raw numbers so be it, but this increase in population does not translate to cosmopolitanism, not by a long shot. If you are not LDS and you stick yourself in the middle of Provo, you're in for an unbelievable culture shock. I was treated quite cordially even as a minority in my time in Utah, but make no mistake that your potential social circle will be tremendously limited if you are not part of the church. Insularity is the name of the game there. It doesn't matter if I'm in a community of 100k or 1million Mormons, I'll be just as cut off.
Yeah but if you live in SLC proper it’s not a big deal. I have 20ish breweries within 10 minutes of my house and tons of non-lds in the area from about 3300 south into Sugarhouse and downtown. Yes Provo is a whole mother story, but this is comparing SLC not Provo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City