Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 09:08 PM

38 posts, read 45,554 times

Advertisements

I love living in the south. To the cities and the people living in them mentioned in a negative way is actually good. That lets us know we are on the minds of those who have nothing else to do but watch our cities grow. Maybe some are pissed off that Atlanta and Charlotte are taking away from their city's population, watching their city shrink, decay, and decline economically!

Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Florida is also much more desirable than NC.
How in the world can you make such a blanket statement like this? I'd say NC is much more desirable to young and mid-career professionals, those who are in the prime of their most productive years. It is increasingly desirable to retirees also, although Florida excels in that department by far (and I don't consider that much of a positive).

Quote:
What would somebody do in the middle of South Carolina?
A good bit, actually. No Columbia isn't near the beach or is as large as Tampa or Orlando, but it has a good bit to offer considering its size, state capital status, and being the home of the state's flagship university. And recreationally, it has a lot to offer as well with two lakes, three rivers, and a national forest/international biosphere reserve in the area. It's also a great jumping off spot to both the beach and the mountains and is home to one of the best zoos in the South.

Quote:
I could do Charlotte, Orlando or Tampa if it came down to it for a couple of years. I'd rather live in a van down by the river than live in Columbia, probably lots of people feel this way also. It's something like Athens combining with Atlanta, yeah, they combined, so what. They are both small time SEC football cities.
Columbia is a noticeably larger than Athens and offers more. I know they are closer to each other in size than Columbia is to Tampa or Orlando, but come on. But I suppose you don't know much about it which is why you're somewhat dismissive of it. And I'd actually put Columbia on the underrated list for smaller metros in the South, along with the likes of Greenville, Chattanooga, Winston-Salem, Little Rock, etc. For a larger city that no one has mentioned, I'll throw in Norfolk.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:10 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How in the world can you make such a blanket statement like this? I'd say NC is much more desirable to young and mid-career professionals, those who are in the prime of their most productive years. It is increasingly desirable to retirees also, although Florida excels in that department by far (and I don't consider that much of a positive).

A good bit, actually. No Columbia isn't near the beach or is as large as Tampa or Orlando, but it has a good bit to offer considering its size, state capital status, and being the home of the state's flagship university. And recreationally, it has a lot to offer as well with two lakes, three rivers, and a national forest/international biosphere reserve in the area. It's also a great jumping off spot to both the beach and the mountains and is home to one of the best zoos in the South.

Columbia is a noticeably larger than Athens and offers more. I know they are closer to each other in size than Columbia is to Tampa or Orlando, but come on. But I suppose you don't know much about it which is why you're somewhat dismissive of it. And I'd actually put Columbia on the underrated list for smaller metros in the South, along with the likes of Greenville, Chattanooga, Winston-Salem, Little Rock, etc. For a larger city that no one has mentioned, I'll throw in Norfolk.
He always does this. Colombia is a pretty nice city, South Carolina is pretty nice all around. I'd agree that it's underrated.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:30 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
He always does this. Colombia is a pretty nice city, South Carolina is pretty nice all around. I'd agree that it's underrated.
Count me in; Columbia came as a pleasant surprise to me.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:24 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Count me in; Columbia came as a pleasant surprise to me.
Colombia is a city that does best with what it has to work with.They have done a lot to make it a liveable city that is pleasant.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:38 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCharlotte704 View Post
I love living in the south. To the cities and the people living in them mentioned in a negative way is actually good. That lets us know we are on the minds of those who have nothing else to do but watch our cities grow. Maybe some are pissed off that Atlanta and Charlotte are taking away from their city's population, watching their city shrink, decay, and decline economically!
South, its different strokes for different folks. It depends on what they want out of life. Places like NC, SC, Houston and other bustling booming southern cities are much more practical for practical people who simply want to get a nice job, a decent size home and a big car. I mean there's a reason why these cities especially Dallas and Houston are called the land of the 60k millionaire. They're wonderful cities to love out the traditional American dream because they offer city grade amenities at relatively low costs. For that I'm glad they're there.

For cities like NYC, Miami, SF, LA, DC and Chicago the point is to be where the relevant action is. It's to move to a city with a greater connection to what's going on in the world. It's also a chance to really make it big. They're not very practical cities by comparison because once you arrive, your standard of living drops as things get pricier. You learn to adapt to account for it and enjoy the big world class big city amenities.

What I find strange is how so many in southern cities think that city is just a city? How y'all can't understand why we would want to move all the way out to X city if supposedly everything is already here in Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. Well....it's not the same.

A McMansion in a large master planned community outside of the city with a large amusement park entrance called something tacky like "Cross Creek Ranch", and a new pick up may seem like heaven to a lot of people, it's not to others. Heck even doing the nice loft young urban professional in downtown Charlotte doesn't even strike me as worth it.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:59 AM

502 posts, read 717,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I grew up in Arizona, and I go back a couple time a year to visit friends and family, and IMO there is nothing worth while about Phoenix. The Coronado district and a couple blocks in Tempe are okay, but really that's all. There's nothing there but bad weather from April through October, chain restaurants, crabby Midwesterners, indoor shopping malls, retirement communities, and gulf courses.
Ahh I had fun reading this! Hopefully the droughts and deserts will come back and force people out of AZ. Meanwhile don't let those disgruntled midwestern ex-pats get under your skin too much.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

For cities like NYC, Miami, SF, LA, DC and Chicago the point is to be where the relevant action is. It's to move to a city with a greater connection to what's going on in the world. It's also a chance to really make it big. They're not very practical cities by comparison because once you arrive, your standard of living drops as things get pricier. You learn to adapt to account for it and enjoy the big world class big city amenities.
I don't think this much is very true for Miami or Chicago. Neither city is that prohibitively expensive to be grouped with those cities that are. Also, outside of Miami Beach, the Miami area is your typical Sunbelt sprawl-zone, with few "worldly" things going on that aren't happening in Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:08 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't think this much is very true for Miami or Chicago. Neither city is that prohibitively expensive to be grouped with those cities that are. Also, outside of Miami Beach, the Miami area is your typical Sunbelt sprawl-zone, with few "worldly" things going on that aren't happening in Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta.
I don't argue with this. The thing is that the latter three you mentioned are bourgeoning, they haven't arrived yet and the development has been up and down, some good some bad. But yes I agree that all three have potential to rival cities like NYC LA and SF. I just think the culture keeps them firmly planted in remaining practical overall.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:24 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,483 times
I think Orlando is pretty underrated. Especially since their local economy is booming right now.

EDIT I said Raleigh before (definitely overrated) but IMHO the most overrated city in the Southeast is Charleston, SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City