Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:20 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Overrated:

Los Angeles, San Diego--both are great places, but they live in a hype bubble that obscures reality. As places to visit, they are probably up to the hype, but spend more than a few days and most people are wondering WTF.
What the hell is a "hype bubble"? The second most populous metro in the US is simply going to attract more attention in our media and culture than Sacramento.

That's just one example why these "over/under-rated" threads are simply inane. Mods: before you delete this post, please consider how these threads conform to the "no-negative" policy.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Overrated: Los Angeles
Underrated: Los Angeles

Seriously. I feel that most people have one of two images of Los Angeles in their minds and neither one is accurate.

If you go to Los Angeles excepting it to be a paradise of perpetual sunshine, laid-back worldviews, where you'll be surrounded by blondes with perfects teeth who spend their days rollerblading down the beach wearing thongs and eating oranges, you'll be very much disappointed.

On the other hand, if you go to Los Angeles expecting it to be a suburban wasteland, full of vapid people, with no art or culture, you'll likely be pleasantly surprised. There's a lot of cool stuff happening in LA that people overlook.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Good post, but keep in mind only small parts of Idaho are in the Pacific Time Zone. Namely, the northern panhandle to keep in time with Spokane. The rest of Idaho is Mountain.

Also, trivia...there are parts of far eastern Oregon (Ontario), that are in the mountain zone.
Yeah, I actually looked up a time zone map after I posted that earlier. Weird that there is a small part of Eastern Oregon that is in MST. Wonder why that is?

Also, I put Idaho in the Pacific region because it's usually included in the PNW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Far West Texas should be in the "Mountain" list El Paso is in the Mountain Time Zone (the only city in Texas rest is in Central Time) and is in the high desert like New Mexico.
El Paso should be considered a western city, but honestly it might as well be part of New Mexico.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
El Paso should be considered a western city, but honestly it might as well be part of New Mexico.
Though I mostly agree with that, most Texans would disagree.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...-paso-its.html

Old 02-27-2014, 08:21 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
I'm surprised so many people say settle is overrated. I mean by people on c-d? In real life I think it can be quite underrated especially outside of the western states. On here it gets alot if praise but how many people really know that much about the city who haven't been here or live outside the westcoast.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:23 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I'm surprised so many people say settle is overrated. I mean by people on c-d? In real life I think it can be quite underrated especially outside of the western states. On here it gets alot if praise but how many people really know that much about the city who haven't been here or live outside the westcoast.
Seattle is not everyone's cup of tea. That's probably a good thing for Seattle.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:47 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Yeah, I actually looked up a time zone map after I posted that earlier. Weird that there is a small part of Eastern Oregon that is in MST. Wonder why that is?

Also, I put Idaho in the Pacific region because it's usually included in the PNW.
For the same reason parts of the Idaho panhandle are in the Pacific Time Zone. Ontario is more closely tied to the Idaho cities just across the border than to anywhere in Oregon, so is in the same time zone.

As for where the West starts ... I always feel like the West starts pretty much at the Continental Divide.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,808,542 times
Overrated: San Diego. LA. Las Vegas. SD and LA have this huge hype that they can't live up too. They're great places to be but they aren't a "utopia" or a "paradise" like many hold them up to be. Las Vegas... Well, if you go outside the strip, you'll know what I mean. Then again I'm from Phoenix, what other point is there for me to go to Las Vegas besides the strip?

Underrated: Tucson and Phoenix. Tucson lives under Phoenix's shadow, unfortunately. Phoenix... Well, it offers what people want I feel, but people automatically discount it.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:21 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Overrated: Los Angeles
Underrated: Los Angeles

Seriously. I feel that most people have one of two images of Los Angeles in their minds and neither one is accurate.

If you go to Los Angeles excepting it to be a paradise of perpetual sunshine, laid-back worldviews, where you'll be surrounded by blondes with perfects teeth who spend their days rollerblading down the beach wearing thongs and eating oranges, you'll be very much disappointed.

NNnnnooooo! Scratches L.A. off of must visit list!

On the other hand, if you go to Los Angeles expecting it to be a suburban wasteland, full of vapid people, with no art or culture, you'll likely be pleasantly surprised. There's a lot of cool stuff happening in LA that people overlook.
Puts L.A. back on must visit list. I can't wait to visit L.A.!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:06 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Though I mostly agree with that, most Texans would disagree.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...-paso-its.html
Haha. I'm from Dallas and El Paso always seemed to the one major Texas city that didn't fit in with the rest. Probably because it's over 8 hours away and in a different time zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City