Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2014, 07:54 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Overrated: Tough one. LA, SF, even SD have overrated sections but as cities I can't say they are overrated. For instance I thought going out in the Gas Lamp district in San Diego was one of the most overrated downtown areas I've ever been to. However SD has so much to offer you can't write it off with just one area. Same with SF and Haight Street, or LA with Venice Beach. I just can't stand overhyped areas.

I've never been to SEA but from what I know about people who have visited say it's definitely overrated. Don't tell people from Seattle that or you will get the biggest ear full.

Underrated: Denver.
So - let me get this straight - you're saying that Seattle is the most overrated even though you've never been there? And you're basing this opinion on what you've heard others say? Hmmm....

Old 04-01-2014, 12:02 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
Overrated: San Francisco, Portland, Seattle

Underrated: Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Sacramento

Old 04-01-2014, 07:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Overrated: Tough one. LA, SF, even SD have overrated sections but as cities I can't say they are overrated. For instance I thought going out in the Gas Lamp district in San Diego was one of the most overrated downtown areas I've ever been to. However SD has so much to offer you can't write it off with just one area. Same with SF and Haight Street, or LA with Venice Beach. I just can't stand overhyped areas.

I've never been to SEA but from what I know about people who have visited say it's definitely overrated. Don't tell people from Seattle that or you will get the biggest ear full.

Underrated: Denver.
Who is overrating Haight Street? I haven't heard many positive things about Upper Haight St. in years. It gets some interest from locals because it's a good bar and casual eats area, but there are a lot of homeless youth and junkies hanging out too. I kind of like the Haight--particularly Lower Haight--but most people I know who have lived in the area have said that dealing with Haight St. wasnt worth it. They haven't overrated it.

Most tourists go to Haight St. to see remnants of the 60s as they have romanticized them. They are usually disappointed with what they find. Locals go for the unique shops and restaurants, but they don't hype or broadcast it. Haight is simply the Main Street in that neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
Arizona:

Overrated- Chandler, white collar all beige brand new city without the depth of Scottsdale
Oro Valley, if you want the Phoenix version of Tucson then there you go
Sedona, scenery and weather are nice but the town itself is like a giant gift shop

Underrated-Payson, a decent sized town right on the area where the woods start by the Rim. A little redneck, but a gateway to some of the best alpine Arizona outdoorsyness.
Tucson, the place is really like a big quirky college town with awesome scenery and I think being in Phoenix's shadow makes it under the radar.
Tempe, a well run, fun, somewhat dense(in a Western sense), progressive, college town with a lot of pride and character. It's not the Tempe of the 80's or 90's anymore but it's still got something good going on if you stay near downtown or at least within 5 miles of University and Mill.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,113,125 times
I can't think of a western city that is "overrated". Perhaps Palm Springs? I haven't been to all of the western cities, though on average I have to say from Denver to Boise to Seattle down to SoCal, as a geography of the US, the west has some of the coolest, most progressive, and most interesting cities in the country.

I've only driven through Phoenix, but I wasn't impressed with what I saw. Still, it's Phoenix and it can't possibly be *overrated* based on what people say about it. I bet given my view of the city and from what I've briefly seen, I would be pleasantly surprised if I stayed for a visit with a local.

Also, honestly, Seattle was a little underwhelming (I guess to me that means it is slightly overrated). Before I visited, I had built it up in my mind based on what people had told me, these kinds of online forums, and pictures I had seen of the city (I was basically expecting a PacNW version of SF). However, it wasn't what I expected. Still, it's a very impressive city!

I may be biased, but I think SF lives up to its hype. I put it in the category of LA, Chicago, and NYC in terms of interesting, large cities with an impossible amount of things going on. People who say any of these cities are "overrated" simply can't comprehend the large, complex dynamics of these places.

Then you have smaller cities like SLC, Boise, Denver, and Portland that are leagues leagues leagues beyond their peers in the Midwest, Northeast, and Southeast (generally speaking). Every region has a "cool" small, vibrant and walkable city. For the NE it has to be Providence. For the Midwest perhaps Milwaukee (I was also impressed with Omaha). For the SE obviously NOLA, though it's in a unique category. I would say Charleston, as well. Maybe Richmond. Regardless, on average the smaller western cities are like these cities: interesting and dynamic. Hardly any cities in the West "suck" on paper. The same cannot be said of general SE and Midwest and smaller NE cities, most of which are easy to crap on, on paper.

The beauty of just about every Western city is an interesting climate, outdoor lifestyle, attractive and young population, progressive population, and proximity to the best nature has to offer in the US.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:33 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Arizona:

Overrated- Chandler, white collar all beige brand new city without the depth of Scottsdale
Oro Valley, if you want the Phoenix version of Tucson then there you go
Sedona, scenery and weather are nice but the town itself is like a giant gift shop

Underrated-Payson, a decent sized town right on the area where the woods start by the Rim. A little redneck, but a gateway to some of the best alpine Arizona outdoorsyness.
Tucson, the place is really like a big quirky college town with awesome scenery and I think being in Phoenix's shadow makes it under the radar.
Tempe, a well run, fun, somewhat dense(in a Western sense), progressive, college town with a lot of pride and character. It's not the Tempe of the 80's or 90's anymore but it's still got something good going on if you stay near downtown or at least within 5 miles of University and Mill.
So would you say Flagstaff is neither overrated or underrated? Great town for beer/microbrews and a decent dining selection and quite beautiful up there in the pines back dropped by the mountain peaks. It's pretty well known in Arizona, but it's not in the league of trendy mountain towns like Durango, Telluride, Santa Fe, or Park City.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:44 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,113,125 times
People have told me that Sedona is a must visit?? Are they wrong?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
People have told me that Sedona is a must visit?? Are they wrong?
Yes it's a must visit. The landscape and scenery is great. The town itself isn't much. There's not any interesting neighborhood to be in or great restaurant to eat at. You either hike or hang out at your resort's bar.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
So would you say Flagstaff is neither overrated or underrated? Great town for beer/microbrews and a decent dining selection and quite beautiful up there in the pines back dropped by the mountain peaks. It's pretty well known in Arizona, but it's not in the league of trendy mountain towns like Durango, Telluride, Santa Fe, or Park City.
I'm not sure how Flag is perceived nationally. It's rated highly by Phoenicians and I wouldn't say overly so. It's all those things you mentioned though as a "mountain" town it really only has the peaks to one side and isn't really in the mountains like Durango or Telluride. I like it there but I don't know if I could spend an entire winter with 100" of snow. Property and rent is high there without a lot of decent paying jobs but they're a little anti-growth there so it what it is. To visit is worthwhile for many reasons.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:32 AM

854 posts, read 1,481,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I can't think of a western city that is "overrated". Perhaps Palm Springs? I haven't been to all of the western cities, though on average I have to say from Denver to Boise to Seattle down to SoCal, as a geography of the US, the west has some of the coolest, most progressive, and most interesting cities in the country.

People who say any of these cities are "overrated" simply can't comprehend the large, complex dynamics of these places.

Then you have smaller cities like SLC, Boise, Denver, and Portland that are leagues leagues leagues beyond their peers in the Midwest, Northeast, and Southeast (generally speaking). Every region has a "cool" small, vibrant and walkable city. For the NE it has to be Providence. For the Midwest perhaps Milwaukee (I was also impressed with Omaha). For the SE obviously NOLA, though it's in a unique category. I would say Charleston, as well. Maybe Richmond. Regardless, on average the smaller western cities are like these cities: interesting and dynamic. Hardly any cities in the West "suck" on paper. The same cannot be said of general SE and Midwest and smaller NE cities, most of which are easy to crap on, on paper.

The beauty of just about every Western city is an interesting climate, outdoor lifestyle, attractive and young population, progressive population, and proximity to the best nature has to offer in the US.
This is exactly what I mean about Western snobbery. Oh how progressive and natural and young and beautiful we art!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City