Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,648 times

Advertisements

NYC
Bost
San Franc
WashingDC
Chicago

[url]http://www.longfinance.net/images/GFCI15_15March2014.pdf[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 04:19 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
sounds good. i guess we can safely write off chicago again. hell, we've made it a blood sport for years, why not continue. You guys write Chicago off and what do you get? The Energizer Bunny. Keeps on popping up no matter what you say. Thanks so much for the GFI. Is that the only rating out there?

who knows, I might even get desperate and turn to USN&WR to tell me where my favorite universities rank.

Old 03-24-2014, 07:57 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
It's hard to say Chicago "Tumbled" in the last ranking. It dropped one spot.

The thing we should be upset about is Washington climbing to this level. It's a sign that our government is becoming far too involved in the financial services industry. It's creeping closer to traditional finance centers like SF and Boston and already ranks ahead of Chicago. That's not a good thing for the country.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
It's hard to say Chicago "Tumbled" in the last ranking. It dropped one spot.

The thing we should be upset about is Washington climbing to this level. It's a sign that our government is becoming far too involved in the financial services industry. It's creeping closer to traditional finance centers like SF and Boston and already ranks ahead of Chicago. That's not a good thing for the country.
D.C.'s economy is diversifying. We're moving away from the government currently. How is that a bad thing? The focus on government in D.C. was the largest mistake America ever made. The only way to make D.C. a self sustained city is to stop the reliance on government which is happening. Paris, London, Berlin, Tokyo, etc. etc. are all government capitals and none are perceived to be government parasites. The U.S. is trying to fix it's wrong currently. How is that a bad thing?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
D.C.'s economy is diversifying. We're moving away from the government currently. How is that a bad thing? The focus on government in D.C. was the largest mistake America ever made. The only way to make D.C. a self sustained city is to stop the reliance on government which is happening. Paris, London, Berlin, Tokyo, etc. etc. are all government capitals and none are perceived to be government parasites. The U.S. is trying to fix it's wrong currently. How is that a bad thing?
Because it's representative of the federal government becoming more involved with how the financial services industry works. Both because the government has been growing and because it shows more and more financial svcs firms feeling the need to have a presence in Washington due to the proximity to the government.

You can't compare DC to London, Paris, Tokyo, etc. because they're the alpha city of much smaller countries. They have also historically been the center of power economically, politically, and culturally in their respective countries. DC was never intended to be that way. The USA is the United States of America. The entire basis of the country was a small federal government which connected the state governments. Effectively, each state was supposed to have their own "alpha" city. The District of Columbia is independent of any state because the idea was for it to simply act as the federal seat of the country which connected these state governments. Similar to Brasília.

Obviously this wasn't ever going to be able to be 100% sustainable given its geographic location, and of course some size & economic power is acceptable. However it's now one of the largest, wealthiest economies in the country and its due to the expansion of the government. I know you're saying it's the diversification of the economy...but the reason these new industries are moving into DC is because they want to be able to cozy up to the Fed.

Quote:
The focus on government in D.C. was the largest mistake America ever made.
How so? That was the only reason Washington DC was even created! It literally wouldn't exist as a city today if it weren't created as the focus of the federal government. Are you saying we should have left the Capital in Philadelphia or New York?

Old 03-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:

How so? That was the only reason Washington DC was even created! It literally wouldn't exist as a city today if it weren't created as the focus of the federal government. Are you saying we should have left the Capital in Philadelphia or New York?
That would have been fine. No city should be a government city anywhere. All cities should possess the ability to provide for themselves. People want self-sustained cities right? Well, make them that way. Government should just be one small segment of the economy of a city. If the government is huge for a major country like America, the private sector should be double that size to balance that out.

As it is, the U.S. screwed that up trying to not operate like all the other major super powers around the world that predate the U.S. by centuries. Now we have major damage control ahead. D.C. is here to stay regardless. The damage is done. Now, we need to see how we can fix this problem creating a self sustaining city. People will not remember what D.C. used to be 100 years from now. It will be just a failed experiment that went wrong and people will wonder why the U.S. ever tried to diminish their capital to begin with or why they didn't just make NYC the capital like everybody else. Either way, D.C. is headed into that direction from a built environment, urban, high density standpoint and an economical standpoint.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:36 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
sounds good. i guess we can safely write off chicago again. hell, we've made it a blood sport for years, why not continue. You guys write Chicago off and what do you get? The Energizer Bunny. Keeps on popping up no matter what you say. Thanks so much for the GFI. Is that the only rating out there?

who knows, I might even get desperate and turn to USN&WR to tell me where my favorite universities rank.
The OP created a screen name and has a total of two posts, both of which are there to state that Chicago is tumbling or in decline. Because it went down 1 spot on a random year over year list of world cities. Yeah, that's not trolling at all.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That would have been fine. No city should be a government city anywhere. All cities should possess the ability to provide for themselves. People want self-sustained cities right? Well, make them that way. Government should just be one small segment of the economy of a city. If the government is huge for a major country like America, the private sector should be double that size to balance that out.

As it is, the U.S. screwed that up trying to not operate like all the other major super powers around the world that predate the U.S. by centuries. Now we have major damage control ahead. D.C. is here to stay regardless. The damage is done. Now, we need to see how we can fix this problem creating a self sustaining city. People will not remember what D.C. used to be 100 years from now. It will be just a failed experiment that went wrong and people will wonder why the U.S. ever tried to diminish their capital to begin with or why they didn't just make NYC the capital like everybody else. Either way, D.C. is headed into that direction from a built environment, urban, high density standpoint and an economical standpoint.
Right, there's certainly no doubt that DC is here to stay. I'm just saying it's a shame it's gotten so out of control as opposed to what it was supposed to be.

You can say the US screwed up by not operating like those other super powers...but you also have to remember that at that point there was no country like the US. It was a newly independent group of colonies/states who wanted to remain independent of one another. It was a different way of doing things because it was a totally different type of country.

I just hope in the next election we will have a president/federal government which looks to reduce the role of government in the financial markets. I think that would be a good first step. You mention that a city should be self-sustaining, but the economic expansion of DC hasn't been one caused by DC itself. It's largely been fueled by the expansion of the federal government. SO, if you're looking for more natural, city-driven growth for your city, you should be rooting for the reduction of the federal government too.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:47 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
I cant reconcile this ranking putting Paris below Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Calgary. Canada is not all that, get real.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Right, there's certainly no doubt that DC is here to stay. I'm just saying it's a shame it's gotten so out of control as opposed to what it was supposed to be.

You can say the US screwed up by not operating like those other super powers...but you also have to remember that at that point there was no country like the US. It was a newly independent group of colonies/states who wanted to remain independent of one another. It was a different way of doing things because it was a totally different type of country.

I just hope in the next election we will have a president/federal government which looks to reduce the role of government in the financial markets. I think that would be a good first step. You mention that a city should be self-sustaining, but the economic expansion of DC hasn't been one caused by DC itself. It's largely been fueled by the expansion of the federal government. SO, if you're looking for more natural, city-driven growth for your city, you should be rooting for the reduction of the federal government too.
I, along with everyone in D.C. is doing exactly that even with the stacked deck working against us to do so. The failed system designed to hold us back from ever being able to operate like a Paris, London, or Tokyo has made it tough though. The ball is rolling now and our focus in tech, health, education, and the financial industry should hopefully, eventually, allow us to beat all odds and emerge from the shackles that were placed on our feet as a region by the rest of the nation.

We hope to be able to operate without the government leading the way even though the rest of you would rather us stay that way probably. The government has been shrinking at an amazing pace for 4 years now, however, no matter how many government contractors are cut, how many federal government jobs are lost, people like you will never be able to admit the tide has turned. SMH.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City