Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More pedestrian activity
Miami 7 21.88%
New Orleans 24 75.00%
Tie 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 08:30 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Which city has more pedestrian activity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
How busy is downtown Miami on a regular day? Is South Beach busy outside of nightlife and entertainment?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:34 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
To my knowledge, most of Miami's pedestrian activity takes place during nights and/or weekends on South Beach.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:05 PM

I'm surprised Miami is doing this badly in the poll. In terms of objective data, it's not a horrendous matchup.

Transit commuters:

Miami - 19,856 (11.3%)
New Orleans - 10,265 (7.0%)

Walking commuters:

Miami - 6,739 (3.8%)
New Orleans - 6,574 (4.5%)

Bicycle commuters:

Miami - 3,233 (1.8%)
New Orleans - 5,716 (3.9%)

Households sans vehicle:

Miami - 31,131 (20.6%)
New Orleans - 26,554 (18.5%)

Of course, there's more to it than that, but these cities aren't that different on paper. With Miami Beach (though not technically part of "Miami") and a few other sections of Miami, I thought the vote would be closer.

New Orleans is more compact with a CBD abutting prime, walkable areas. So I can see why the poll might be skewed in its favor.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:21 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Of course, there's more to it than that, but these cities aren't that different on paper. With Miami Beach (though not technically part of "Miami") and a few other sections of Miami, I thought the vote would be closer.

New Orleans is more compact with a CBD abutting prime, walkable areas. So I can see why the poll might be skewed in its favor.
Were we supposed to include Miami Beach in the comparison? Those figures above could be completely accurate but since central New Orleans has a lot of visiting tourists around the French Quarter and Canal Street leading into the CBD it seems busier than downtown Miami most of the time(unless there's an event in downtown Miami). New Orleans outside the central area has spots like Magazine that might get busy with people, but it's sort of little neighborhood hubs that have foot traffic similar to other mid-sized cities with fairly wakable areas.

Certain parts of Miami seem to get busy at night or times during the day, but it's kind of scattered activity--at least that's what I've experienced in Miami itself. Even areas like around Brickell or the Design District didn't seem that busy during the day, but can feel livelier at night. Little Havana seemed more like a place where people would pull up in their cars to a restaurant and then drive off rather than more than stroll around--maybe it's different when a baseball game is going on. Now, Miami Beach is another story, there's a pretty consistent amount of foot traffic in a lot of places during much of the day and into the night around there.

You're probably right though that it might be closer than people think overall.

Last edited by Deezus; 03-05-2014 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
In my experience New Orleans had pretty decent pedestrian activity outside of the tourist-y parts too. It wasn't anything crazy but there were always at least a few people around on the streets, especially in the Garden District near those universities.

I would imagine this is a pretty close match-up, especially if Miami Beach can be included.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Were we supposed to include Miami Beach in the comparison? Those figures above could be completely accurate but since central New Orleans has a lot of visiting tourists around the French Quarter and Canal Street leading into the CBD it seems busier than downtown Miami most of the time(unless there's an event in downtown Miami). New Orleans outside the central area has spots like Magazine that might get busy with people, but it's sort of little neighborhood hubs that have foot traffic similar to other mid-sized cities with fairly wakable areas.
This is true. I think more compact cities with prime areas seamlessy connected to their CBDs have a big advantage (even if these areas are small). If I'm in Downtown Miami or Little Havana, I may walk around a bit, but the next place I'm usually walking is back to my rental car rather than out of the CBD and into an adjacent area/neighborhood.

South Beach is pretty fun as a pedestrian. But there's a certain point as you're moving north where the vehicle traffic gets faster and faster and the pedestrians become fewer and fewer. It's still developed after that point (and not at a completely car scale), but you just kind of intuitively know when to turn around and hike it back to the hotel.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 AM

515 posts, read 1,058,869 times
Downtown Miami closes down after 5 pm. Coconut Grove is one of the few places with a lot of pedestrian activity at night. Miami Beach is actually a different municpality, and even so most of the action is only on a few blocks of Collins and Ocean Blvds. I would give this one to New Orleans.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:28 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
Downtown Miami closes down after 5 pm. Coconut Grove is one of the few places with a lot of pedestrian activity at night. Miami Beach is actually a different municpality, and even so most of the action is only on a few blocks of Collins and Ocean Blvds. I would give this one to New Orleans.
I have't been to downtown Miami lately, but is Bayside still a popular spot?

Old 04-15-2014, 01:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
There's plenty of side streets in Miami Beach that get action day and night. Lincoln Road mall is busy at all hours of the day, and it's a good few Blocks away from Ocean and Collins. Within the city of Miami, Coconut Grove is lively, as you stated. South Miami around Sunset Place, is a busy commercial area, day and night. And it's connected through Miami's Metrorail. Then there's Bayside, the Design District, and Mary Brickell Village. All these areas get decent amounts of pedestrians and foot-traffic day and night. Miami has pockets of activity spread around the county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City