Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My preference aligns with?
Chicago's Italian Beef 37 43.02%
San Francisco's Mission Burrito 49 56.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:09 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Anyhow, for the purpose of this comparison, just to make it even, Italian Beef sandwiches aren't actually authentic Italian. Mission burritos aren't authentic Mexican. They are both delicious--it is just that one is more delicious than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Some taquerias or taco trucks run by immigrants from Mexico will have sort of "Mission-style" burritos, because they know there is a market for them in the states--however if you really want the goods just order tacos al pastor or carnitas or carne asada or lengua or whatver else they have(sopes, tortas, etc..) In general people from all over Mexico in areas where you'd never see a burrito will make burritos in the US(sometimes closer to Mission-style), though they know it's just an American thing. I mean you can find places run by people from the Yucatan or Oaxaca or Jalisco serving burritos around the Western US, though you'll never see burritos ever in those regions. Basically though if you cook the meat for tacos, just get a bigger tortilla, and voila, you can serve burritos too...

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Some taquerias or taco trucks run by immigrants from Mexico will have sort of "Mission-style" burritos, because they know there is a market for them in the states--however if you really want the goods just order tacos al pastor or carnitas or carne asada or lengua or whatver else they have(sopes, tortas, etc..) In general people from all over Mexico in areas where you'd never see a burrito will make burritos in the US(sometimes closer to Mission-style), though they know it's just an American thing. I mean you can find places run by people from the Yucatan or Oaxaca or Jalisco serving burritos around the Western US, though you'll never see burritos ever in those regions. Basically though if you cook the meat for tacos, just get a bigger tortilla, and voila, you can serve burritos too...
I don't know, but here in Chicago they don't serve Mission style burritos in the taquerias. I've never seen that here - in fact I've been in taquerias in town when tourists get pissed that it's not like Chipotle and the workers basically tell them too bad. Even the taqueria next to Wrigley Field doesn't do that.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Anyhow, for the purpose of this comparison, just to make it even, Italian Beef sandwiches aren't actually authentic Italian. Mission burritos aren't authentic Mexican. They are both delicious--it is just that one is more delicious than the other.
Correct - and I think actually that the Gyro is a better comparison to be honest - though the Gyro is more authentic than a burrito is, but the way in which they grew in both areas is similar.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I don't know, but here in Chicago they don't serve Mission style burritos in the taquerias. I've never seen that here - in fact I've been in taquerias in town when tourists get pissed that it's not like Chipotle and the workers basically tell them too bad.
Yes, but my point is that Mexican immigrants serving burritos at all in taqeurias is an American-thing. I honestly don't even see what the big effin' deal is between any difference between Mission-style burritos and supposed "Northern Mexican" burritos. I mean I can walk down the street right now and find taco trucks or food carts serving something similar to either concept, but it's really just a matter of how much rice and beans you put in additionally to the meat.

But as far as burritos go, you just don't see them in Mexico(at least I never have, apart from maybe the border or tourist areas). You'll find tacos everywhere from the middle of DF to the middle of the Yucatan or Chiapas, but burritos? That's why I don't think it matters to Mexican immigrants what type of burrito they're cooking, it's usually not something they brought from back home to begin with.

I'd rather just order several types of tacos with different meats than one burrito...than you get a better sense of how good their pastor or carnitas or asada are...

Old 04-14-2014, 07:33 PM

I agree - you won't find Burritos in many places in Mexico. The point is the one that the taquerias serve is more in line with what you WOULD find if you did find it there i.e. in Juarez.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wasn't the burrito originally from northern Mexico? The mission burrito and burritos where everything goes and all of humongous size is an American invention, but I've read that burritos in terms of a flour tortilla envelope over a variety of meats, beans, and cheese and sometimes rice and/or chiles are actually native to parts of Mexico and the ones eaten in the US are derived from that. It doesn't seem that unbelievable given how large and varied Mexico itself is.
Not if you believe the authors of this book Burritos!: Hot on the Trail of the Little Burro by David Thomsen | 9780879058357 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

I've not seen anything other than anecdotal evidence that suggests otherwise.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Yes, but my point is that Mexican immigrants serving burritos at all in taqeurias is an American-thing. I honestly don't even see what the big effin' deal is between any difference between Mission-style burritos and supposed "Northern Mexican" burritos. I mean I can walk down the street right now and find taco trucks or food carts serving something similar to either concept, but it's really just a matter of how much rice and beans you put in additionally to the meat.

But as far as burritos go, you just don't see them in Mexico(at least I never have, apart from maybe the border or tourist areas). You'll find tacos everywhere from the middle of DF to the middle of the Yucatan or Chiapas, but burritos? That's why I don't think it matters to Mexican immigrants what type of burrito they're cooking, it's usually not something they brought from back home to begin with.

I'd rather just order several types of tacos with different meats than one burrito...than you get a better sense of how good their pastor or carnitas or asada are...
Exactly.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree - you won't find Burritos in many places in Mexico. The point is the one that the taquerias serve is more in line with what you WOULD find if you did find it there i.e. in Juarez.
Once again though, they're only serving burritos because it's a popular in America-thing. I doubt most of the people in those taquerias have any connection to Juarez, it's not like they care about the authenticity of a "burrito".

Has anyone here been to Juarez to confirm the popularity of burritos there? It's like fish tacos supposedly developed in Northern Baja but they might as well just be from San Diego as this point.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Once again though, they're only serving burritos because it's a popular in America-thing. I doubt most of the people in those taquerias have any connection to Juarez, it's not like they care about the authenticity of a "burrito".

Has anyone here been to Juarez to confirm the popularity of burritos there? It's like fish tacos supposedly developed in Northern Baja but they might as well just be from San Diego as this point.
This is in a Rick Bayless book. Text from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Burritos are commonly called tacos de harina (wheat flour tacos) in central and southern Mexico and burritas (feminine variation, with 'a') in northern-style restaurants outside of northern Mexico proper. A long and thin fried burrito similar to a chimichanga is prepared in the state of Sonora and vicinity, and is called a chivichanga
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City