Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is San Francisco's relative stature in the US?
Top 5 99 63.06%
6-10 46 29.30%
11-15 7 4.46%
Outside the top 15 5 3.18%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times

Advertisements

NYC is probably even more special to the rest of the world than Americans, ourselves. We take our own country and its offerings for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:09 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
Enough about NYC... lordy

Old 04-25-2014, 04:12 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
San Francisco isn't being compared to any other city here...weird it's not in the California forum.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:29 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Most people in other countries don't care about New York City either.
Most people in the world really aren't all that obsessed with other world cities as much as CD is. Travelers who love cities rave about it, but more often than not I hear about historical sights and natural scenery more than I hear about cities.

YMMV.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:31 PM

409 posts, read 587,805 times
Most people don't care about any city, anywhere. I don't get the point that some people are trying to make.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I estimated the SF Bay Area was either #5 or #6 in influence, but gave it the benefit of the doubt as at least #5 in selecting the 1-5 category. Silicon Valley at its southern edge provides a strong business/technology influence. SF itself has finance and creative industries. Then there is the tourism factor. The SF Bay Area always rates high with people visiting and the nearby coastal region and winery regions help, too. The area has a strong pro sports scene and two teams exist for MLB and NFL fans like you find in NYC. (You don't have that with Dallas, Philadelphia, Houston and most other regions).Colleges are well known and offer a college sports scene and more importantly quality higher education: UC-Berkeley, Stanford, San Jose State, Santa Clara, USF and more. Plenty of restaurants, shopping, and entertainment in the region (as a "top five" area should have).
About that...

Facebook Data Provide The Most Accurate NFL Fandom Map Ever Created
Oakland Raider fans: Mostly in Los Angeles area
SF Bay is almost all 49er territory

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...38.695,-97.425

Alameda County: 49% SF Giants fans, 28% Oakland A's fans
Contra Costa County: 57% SF Giants fans, 24% Oakland A's fans

Now this is based off facebook, but even New York, Chicago, and LA have areas where the secondary team owns a market. Though off the baseball map, the Mets don't have a plurality in any zip code either, 30% of the NY market is still large enough to support its own team.

The White Sox and Angels both own a huge chunk of their respective areas.

There has been talk of moving both the Raiders and A's out of the Bay Area, a lot due to this very reason.

But that has nothing to do with being a Top 5 area.

I think the only other cities that has a decent claim at being number 5 over SF is Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas, or Houston. Still 1/3 of the voters seem to vote for the 6-10 grouping, so I wonder what it could be.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:25 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,110,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
There has been talk of moving both the Raiders and A's out of the Bay Area, a lot due to this very reason.
The reason / problem is 100% the stadium not the area...

Old 04-26-2014, 09:36 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
And how do you conclude this?
My cousin and her husband are artists who based out of New York City for many years, and now live in the Bay Area of California.

They frequently travel to Italy as well as Germany to exhibit their work.

Furthermore, over the past decade or so, they've both received grants/fellowships that have allowed them to work in Italy, totaling about two years or so between the two of them.

To my envy, they're also very much in touch with our relatives who never left the Old Country.

That said, they've shared with me on several different occasions that telling Italian folks you're from/live in California elicits a much different reaction than telling them you're from/live in New York, similar to Americans. Based on what they've told me, Italians don't really seem to care for New York, as evidenced by their reactions/facial expressions or lack thereof when you make mention New York. FWIW, if an Italian or Italian-American has a reaction or contorts their face over something, that's an indicator they don't really care for it, as ethnic Italian people like most Mediterranean folks are very expressive, myself included. OTOH however, most Italian folks speak lovingly of California when you tell them that's where you live.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
The reason / problem is 100% the stadium not the area...
But it doesn't help when the fans in that area don't even really cheer for that team. New York gets a slide because its large enough to support 2 teams, but the Bay Area, I sort of have my doubts on it. But I'm not a businessperson who owns a team, so the owners of those teams can do what they want. I would rather move them IMO.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:42 AM

28 posts, read 40,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
My cousin and her husband are artists who based out of New York City for many years, and now live in the Bay Area of California.

They frequently travel to Italy as well as Germany to exhibit their work.

Furthermore, over the past decade or so, they've both received grants/fellowships that have allowed them to work in Italy, totaling about two years or so between the two of them.

To my envy, they're also very much in touch with our relatives who never left the Old Country.

That said, they've shared with me on several different occasions that telling Italian folks you're from/live in California elicits a much different reaction than telling them you're from/live in New York, similar to Americans. Based on what they've told me, Italians don't really seem to care for New York, as evidenced by their reactions/facial expressions or lack thereof when you make mention New York. FWIW, if an Italian or Italian-American has a reaction or contorts their face over something, that's an indicator they don't really care for it, as ethnic Italian people like most Mediterranean folks are very expressive, myself included. OTOH however, most Italian folks speak lovingly of California when you tell them that's where you live.
Hilarious.

Now let's look at to facts rather your personal, unscientific, biased anecdotes.

Italy's favorite city in the world is NYC, according to that poll:

The Best Cities In The World By Ipsos - Business Insider

That on top of the fact 55% of Italians who visit America each year only go to NYC.

http://travel.trade.gov/outreachpage...et_Profile.pdf

According to the Census, there are 5 million Italians living in the New York Metro area and 1.5 million living in California.

But the few tourists you've talked to are more credible than the numbers, huh?

Look - I was raised in Northern California but even I know Euros of all nationalities will generally pick NYC as their favorite city in America. No questions about it.

Last edited by Alex589; 04-27-2014 at 12:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City