Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?
Greak Lakes:IL, IN, MI, OH, WI 62 22.55%
Mid-AtlanticE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C. 26 9.45%
Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD 16 5.82%
Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY 29 10.55%
New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT 14 5.09%
Northwest: AK, OR, WA 65 23.64%
Pacific: CA, HI 27 9.82%
South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN 5 1.82%
South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV 19 6.91%
Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX 12 4.36%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 08:58 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times

Advertisements

Speaking of the Great Lakes region and it's excellent beer scene....Happy Dark Lord Day!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
I said New England, but more specifically I was thinking Vermont.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:42 AM

275 posts, read 416,081 times
Places with colder climates tend to have better craft beer scenes (Pacific Northwest, Great Lakes, New England, Colorado etc.)

Warmer climates, not so much.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:54 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
The best beer that I have ever tasted, by far, was in Wisconsin. The Midwest region gets my vote.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:12 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
At the risk of sounding like a homer, I think New England is pretty underrated in this poll.

I'm not saying it should be number one, but I think it belongs in the top few and not 3rd from the bottom. Boston is always counted as one of the top 5-10 major cities for craft beer in the U.S. Maine and Vermont (specifically Portland and Burlington) are considered craft beer havens. Providence and Portsmouth NH are also noteworthy in the craft brewing scene if not quite as famous nationwide. I know these lists are subjective and should be taken with a grain of salt, but New England has a big presence on the "best beer cities" lists from CNN, USA Today, and Travel and Leisure.

I have a hard time believing that the "South Atlantic" states are better than New England as far as craft beer goes. In fact, in my experience, it's one of the worst regions for craft beer outside of a few pockets which are spread far and wide. I don't think the Midwest or "Pacific" (CA and HI) are much better either. I'd even make the case for New England above the Mid-Atlantic even though some of my favorite brews are from that region. Tough to argue against the Northwest (anchored by OR mostly) or the "Mountain" region (anchored by CO) though. Those are probably the best. Great Lakes has great brews too, but I don't know enough to argue either way.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:02 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
At the risk of sounding like a homer, I think New England is pretty underrated in this poll.

I'm not saying it should be number one, but I think it belongs in the top few and not 3rd from the bottom. Boston is always counted as one of the top 5-10 major cities for craft beer in the U.S. Maine and Vermont (specifically Portland and Burlington) are considered craft beer havens. Providence and Portsmouth NH are also noteworthy in the craft brewing scene if not quite as famous nationwide. I know these lists are subjective and should be taken with a grain of salt, but New England has a big presence on the "best beer cities" lists from CNN, USA Today, and Travel and Leisure.

I have a hard time believing that the "South Atlantic" states are better than New England as far as craft beer goes. In fact, in my experience, it's one of the worst regions for craft beer outside of a few pockets which are spread far and wide. I don't think the Midwest or "Pacific" (CA and HI) are much better either. I'd even make the case for New England above the Mid-Atlantic even though some of my favorite brews are from that region. Tough to argue against the Northwest (anchored by OR mostly) or the "Mountain" region (anchored by CO) though. Those are probably the best. Great Lakes has great brews too, but I don't know enough to argue either way.
These people have probably never had a beer from Hill Farmstead, or a Heady-Topper.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:04 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:

I agree with this. Heady Topper, alone, should put New England in the top 3, not to mention all the other great IPAs in the region.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27039/16814/

Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 AM

104 posts, read 127,110 times
Quote:
Tough to argue against the Northwest (anchored by OR mostly) or the "Mountain" region (anchored by CO) though. Those are probably the best. Great Lakes has great brews too, but I don't know enough to argue either way.
How is the Northwest anchored by OR mostly?

Washington State has the second most breweries in the country (higher than Oregon), the second highest breweries per capita (higher than Oregon), and last year had by far the most new breweries open of any state in the US. Not to mention, the first notable craft brewery in the US was in Yakima, WA.

More Breweries Opened in Washington Last Year Than In Any Other State - Eater Seattle

Seattle is just as much of a beer town as Portland.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNNY__ View Post
How is the Northwest anchored by OR mostly?

Washington State has the second most breweries in the country (higher than Oregon), the second highest breweries per capita (higher than Oregon), and last year had by far the most new breweries open of any state in the US. Not to mention, the first notable craft brewery in the US was in Yakima, WA.

More Breweries Opened in Washington Last Year Than In Any Other State - Eater Seattle

Seattle is just as much of a beer town as Portland.
It's not a knock on Washington by any stretch. I probably could have put them both there, but I still think Oregon gets the edge. Washington has more breweries in total, but Oregon has more breweries per capita than any other state in the country (Vermont is second, by the way). For me (and many others) Oregon leads in quality too. Hair of the Dog is one of my favorites. Rogue is excellent. Deschutes is outstanding. Seattle's a great beer town, but I didn't notice a beer culture as prevalent as Portland's. Bend, OR is an excellent beer town as well.

Last edited by lrfox; 04-27-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
These people have probably never had a beer from Hill Farmstead, or a Heady-Topper.
I have yet to try a Heady-Topper.

On a completely different note, Spencer (MA) is the first Trappist beer in America. It's one of 9 Trappist breweries in the world and the lead brewer sharpened his craft with Pretty Things. Spencer is excellent, but it's pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City