Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 12:20 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wow, this country is really screwed.

Creationism in Texas public schools: Undermining the charter movement.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:49 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Chicago has a neighborhood LITERALLY dedicated to gay people/ pride. It's called Boystown on the North side, and Lakeview. Chicago in whole is also more liberal I'd suspect than ATL, just based on the geography of the two cities. So yeah Chicago

Old 06-11-2014, 05:32 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,275,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Maybe Atlanta proper, but Atlanta's entire metro population is 80% suburban. Suburban whites, especially in the Atlanta area, are not as welcoming of gays into their area. Hell, there is a public school system in an Atlanta suburb that actively teaches "Intelligent Design" in their schools but refuses to teach "Theory of Evolution". That should tell you how regressive metro Atlanta is.
Where do they teach ID in metro Atlanta? I bet it is somewhere along the very outskirts of the metro. As far as liberal values on being in the city proper, I think certain sections of Decatur are very liberal -- I once got lost looking for Thinking Man's tavern and end driving around a neighborhood with anti-wal mart signs. Maybe they reject modernity in douglasville, McDonough and places like that, but I doubt the OP will ever have to venture there.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:57 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Chicago all the way!!!!!

Old 06-11-2014, 08:55 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,464 times
I thought this was very interesting study, but according to a study done by Vocativ, a New York based media company, Atlanta leads the nation in LGBT friendly businesses (Report: Atlanta leads nation in LGBT-friendly businesses | The Biz Beat | www.ajc.com).

According to the study, "Vocativ estimates Atlanta has 685 such businesses, over three times more than the next highest city, which is Chicago."

Atlanta is very liberal city. Many are shocked when they first visit but they often leave with a positive attitude about the city and that is why so many people continue to move to this area in droves.

Last edited by BeyondInfinity; 06-11-2014 at 09:04 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
^ That's cool, but I'm wondering how they measure "gay friendly." I know that there are businesses who literally say they are, but that doesn't mean that others aren't. It's not like if two guys on a date walked into those places that didn't advertise a rainbow flag or being gay friendly, they'd be mistreated or anything like that. The study is interesting but I think it's a little flawed just for that reason. I think in a number of larger cities, it's implied in many areas that most businesses are "gay friendly" without them having to necessarily advertise it.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:14 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Chicago has a neighborhood LITERALLY dedicated to gay people/ pride. It's called Boystown on the North side, and Lakeview. Chicago in whole is also more liberal I'd suspect than ATL, just based on the geography of the two cities. So yeah Chicago

Uhh . . . just about every major city in North America has a gay neighborhood dedicated to these things. (Although Boystown I'm sure is one of the largest).

Besides, maybe another indicator of gay friendliness, might very well be how widespread, integrated, and influential the gay community might be in said city.

I'm straight so I have no actual need for a gay community of any kind, but I have just about every article of clothing in my wardrobe that has been at some point been asked "does this look gay?" by someone. I would easily volunteer for the "***** eye for the straight guy" tv show years back to give me a makeover, as I figure they know whats cool and stylish.

I'm not going to debate which city is more liberal. I'm from the Chicago suburbs and now live in Southern California (Pasadena). I also have little direct experience in Atlanta aside from spending the day there a couple times on road trips down to Florida. However I do wonder how much that super metrosexual R&B scene that Atlanta is famous for has influenced the average guy in Atlanta, so I do maintain a slight curiosity.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Maybe Atlanta proper, but Atlanta's entire metro population is 80% suburban. Suburban whites, especially in the Atlanta area, are not as welcoming of gays into their area. Hell, there is a public school system in an Atlanta suburb that actively teaches "Intelligent Design" in their schools but refuses to teach "Theory of Evolution". That should tell you how regressive metro Atlanta is.
Thats where I stayed in West Midtown at 1016 lofts. I rarely saw the suburbs. So I could probably give 2 cents about the suburban whites and how they feel about the gays.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:49 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,403,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Uhh . . . just about every major city in North America has a gay neighborhood dedicated to these things. (Although Boystown I'm sure is one of the largest).

Besides, maybe another indicator of gay friendliness, might very well be how widespread, integrated, and influential the gay community might be in said city.

I'm straight so I have no actual need for a gay community of any kind, but I have just about every article of clothing in my wardrobe that has been at some point been asked "does this look gay?" by someone. I would easily volunteer for the "***** eye for the straight guy" tv show years back to give me a makeover, as I figure they know whats cool and stylish.

I'm not going to debate which city is more liberal. I'm from the Chicago suburbs and now live in Southern California (Pasadena). I also have little direct experience in Atlanta aside from spending the day there a couple times on road trips down to Florida. However I do wonder how much that super metrosexual R&B scene that Atlanta is famous for has influenced the average guy in Atlanta, so I do maintain a slight curiosity.
I really can't think of any community know solely for it's gay community

That definitely is true, come to think of it, San francisco is probably big on gay pride and LGBT, but again, the sole area between Lincoln Park all the way to Uptown is hugely gay friendly. In fact, you should worry if you'd be acceptable up there being a straight person LOL. It has one of the largest pride parades worldwide there too. Gay bars and stores out the yin yang. I'd still say my point stands, Chicago is probably better between the two, because in California I definitely can see more communities, but this question was asking between Chicago and Atlanta. And there really isn't any or many gay "places", maybe a few accepting, but Georgia in whole is one of the most conservative states there are. Only southern and perhaps central Illinois is more conservative.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:33 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Thats where I stayed in West Midtown at 1016 lofts. I rarely saw the suburbs. So I could probably give 2 cents about the suburban whites and how they feel about the gays.
It's not just suburban whites though. Literally, the black population here is so religious that by nature, they're anti-gay. I was in a barber shop in Conyers a few weeks ago getting a haircut and the discussion about that gay player being drafted into the NFL came up. Lets just say...if you're gay, you would have been extremely offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City