Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro's nickname is more popular?
The Metroplex 43 21.61%
The Twin Cities 156 78.39%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 08:57 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Calling the DFW area the Metroplex is not new, but apparently if some people haven't heard the reference it clearly must not be legit. The Twin Cities is more commonly heard nationally and in pop-culture. Referring to MSP as the "Twin Cities" is more of a branding, like how Detroit is "Motown", I don't think that DFW is branded as "the Metroplex" in the same way.
Yeah, even Motown is more well known than the Metroplex, I would have to say. Big Apple, City of Angels, Windy City, Twin Cities, Motown, can't think of many other big city nicknames, well I guess I know The Metroplex now, not even sure how it earned that nickname. Nothing against Dallas, I think it's a great city, but what makes it earn that name?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Yeah, even Motown is more well known than the Metroplex, I would have to say. Big Apple, City of Angels, Windy City, Twin Cities, Motown, can't think of many other big city nicknames, well I guess I know The Metroplex now, not even sure how it earned that nickname. Nothing against Dallas, I think it's a great city, but what makes it earn that name?
"A metroplex is a contiguous metropolitan area that has more than one principal anchor city of near equal importance."

It's a technical term that has turned into a synonym that is equated with DFW. Quite simply DFW is a metroplex. It makes sense, with that definition you could say that MSP is also a metroplex, or that DFW are twin cities and so on. It comes down to splitting hairs, which is something we make an art of on here.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Nothing against Dallas, I think it's a great city, but what makes it earn that name?
It's called "Metroplex" because it's MULTIPLE cities. Not just Dallas...

Old 06-25-2014, 09:14 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Honestly, no one outside Texas really uses the term Metroplex.

Outside Texas, its either "DFW" or just "Dallas". The city name Dallas is more well known than "Metroplex", "Twin Cities", "Minneapolis", or "St. Paul".

Old 06-25-2014, 09:15 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
"A metroplex is a contiguous metropolitan area that has more than one principal anchor city of near equal importance."
Right, I always have thought of this as a blanket term for many, many metros, not specifically for DFW. If anyone referred to DFW that way in the past, I just figured it wasn't DFW-specific, but used as a descriptor. DFW claiming "Metroplex" for itself was completely unknown to me until the thread the OP is referencing here. And I've spent a good bit of time in DFW. So Twin Cities runs away with this in a big way, as way more people say "Twin Cities" than the cities themselves (Minneapolis, or St Paul, or MSP etc.), at least in the Midwest. It's considered the name of the metro, the one everyone uses if they're going to the region. "Metroplex" seems like a modern branding move and less a natural naming progression.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:27 AM

71 posts, read 118,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Honestly, I'd never heard the term "Metroplex" until I saw this thread a few seconds ago.

Needless to say, I voted for the Twin Cities.
Me too. When I saw the Metroplex I didn't have a clue.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,372,194 times
The "Twin Cities" was always mentioned in the Mary Tyler Moore show. Dallas does not have to win all the time. Geesh.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:18 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
The "Twin Cities" was always mentioned in the Mary Tyler Moore show. Dallas does not have to win all the time. Geesh.
This is funny coming from you. Anytime a Texas city is named, you are there to spew your negativity.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
My irony meter is going to explode since this is coming from you, Brent.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Though, what/where is Metrolina?
Charlotte metro area. It's not a very common nickname at all though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
There are multiple twin cities with the "twin cities" nickname, so Metroplex.
Really? I've never heard of the nickname applying to other cities. The closest I've heard is Winston-Salem's nickname, the Twin City (singular).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City