Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will have the most dramatic change by 2020
Atlanta 20 10.93%
Boston 2 1.09%
Los Angeles 31 16.94%
Philadelphia 17 9.29%
Washington DC 12 6.56%
Seattle 15 8.20%
San Francisco 7 3.83%
New York 11 6.01%
Chicago 9 4.92%
Miami 10 5.46%
Dallas 10 5.46%
Houston 14 7.65%
Phoenix 13 7.10%
Minneapolis 7 3.83%
Charlotte 5 2.73%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:44 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I think despite some other cities building a lot of new development--Downtown LA is going to have the most dramatic change. It's going to be a veritable bourgeoisie wonderland in six years...nothing but glittering tapas bars and shiny new boutique hotels.
Er, okay if you say so but there's nothing wrong imo with DT LA now.

The wholesale districts: please dont tamper with that. I love that area but more importantly the merchandise. Nowhere outside of NYC even comes close anywhere in the US.

I came down there 2 weeks ago for bulk fabric and other sewing things. A yard of fabric that costs $12 a yard in the Bay can be had for $2 a yard in DT LA and when your buying hundreds of yards, it's worth it to travel 375 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 05:17 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I made no opinon about there being anything wrong with it, I just said that it's changing very fast. Broadway already feels way different from when I visited last year when I went back this year.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:32 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
I'm surprised by the lack of votes for Boston.

There's a TON of new developments happening in or planned for neighborhoods like DTX, Chinatown, the Waterfront, and the West End.

Downtown Boston could look and feel very different in coming years.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:22 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
I'm just going to say this. Philadelphia downtown will look completely different by 2017.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:59 AM

176 posts, read 175,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Apparently people are very unaware of what's happening in DT Miami. Its emergence has been rapid and transformative and continues on that path with some mega-projects happening now and on the very near horizon.
Brickell City Centre Reveals Website, Flood Of New Renders - Mindboggling reveals - Curbed Miami
Miami Worldcenter Officially Submits Plans To City For Review - As the worldcenter turns - Curbed Miami
Miami Commission approves Bayside, SkyRise Miami leases; voter referendum next - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com
Decades in the making, Museum Park in downtown Miami opens to the public - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com
Miami Intermodal Center : Curbed Miami
Developers Are Racing To The Top...Literally - Ever Skyward - Curbed Miami
Here Are The Proposed Plans For Miami's New Train Station - Coming Attractions - Curbed Miami
1000 Museum

Yes just one of these 3 mega projects would be enough to transform any downtown much less all within a 3 year span. Brickell Citycenter anchoring Downtown's south is already under construction and the Central Station and Miami World Center w/ Convention Center will connect and fill the north end are supposed to break ground this year. If you add all the other projects continuing and in the pipeline - including 3-4 super talls, it would be difficult to objectively not say DT Miami will change the most dramatically.

Brickell City Centre: Urban Life. Connected. - YouTube

The Mall At Miami Worldcenter - Fly Through Video - YouTub
full video here

the mall at miami worldcenter - full - YouTube

All About Florida Miami Central Station - video in link

Last edited by sobchbud1; 07-03-2014 at 08:15 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 10:15 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I'm surprised by the lack of votes for Boston.

There's a TON of new developments happening in or planned for neighborhoods like DTX, Chinatown, the Waterfront, and the West End.

Downtown Boston could look and feel very different in coming years.
Eh it's already too nice to have that dramatic of a change. It's big dramatic change was over the previous few decades.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:28 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,644,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

The wholesale districts: please dont tamper with that. I love that area but more importantly the merchandise. Nowhere outside of NYC even comes close anywhere in the US.

I came down there 2 weeks ago for bulk fabric and other sewing things. A yard of fabric that costs $12 a yard in the Bay can be had for $2 a yard in DT LA and when your buying hundreds of yards, it's worth it to travel 375 miles.
Its only a matter of time before the wholesale districts gentrify. I live in one of them - the Fashion District, and there are 3 adaptive reuse loft projects under construction on my block alone. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing - the way it is now the neighborhood is hustle and bustle until 5pm when the wholesalers close up shop, then its desolate. I wouldn't mind it becoming more of a 24 hour/day neighborhood. That being said, I hope the neighborhood keeps some kind of balance, as I wouldn't want to see all those wholesalers disappear, nor would I want the cheap but decent lunch spots like Torta Loca to go away. I don't want to live in a downtown where you can't buy a sandwich for less than $20. And if the new shops in Grand Central Market are anything to go by, DTLA is in danger of going too far in that direction. I got a pastrami sandwich, a soda, and a black&white cookie at Wexler's Deli the other day and my total was $25. F*** that.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:35 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Dallas and Houston will drastically change in 2020.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:32 PM

23 posts, read 32,157 times
By straight up numerical count - NYC. They're miles ahead of any other city in terms of the amount of new "stuff" being constructed/happening. But in a more "transformational" way - LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City