Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will have the most dramatic change by 2020
Atlanta 20 10.93%
Boston 2 1.09%
Los Angeles 31 16.94%
Philadelphia 17 9.29%
Washington DC 12 6.56%
Seattle 15 8.20%
San Francisco 7 3.83%
New York 11 6.01%
Chicago 9 4.92%
Miami 10 5.46%
Dallas 10 5.46%
Houston 14 7.65%
Phoenix 13 7.10%
Minneapolis 7 3.83%
Charlotte 5 2.73%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:57 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times

Advertisements

Closed for mod review.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 PM

273 posts, read 323,094 times
good call

Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Where on Earth are the moderators? How long does this go on as-is?
Moderators don't read every post nor even every thread. It is up to you guys to let us know when there is fighting, personal attacks and/or someone has hijacked the thread. Do not respond to insults, do not acknowledge posts trying to pull the thread off topic.

This thread is a real mess to try to clean up now. None of the "Toronto" posts should even be here.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM

Ok, I've deleted 77 posts so what was once a 20 page thread is now down to 9. The "Toronto" posts are gone and so are the replies where they are mentioned.

Please do not let this happen again, to any thread.

I'll open it up and see how it goes...

Old 07-09-2014, 03:24 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Now that thats over, I think Seattle will have a huge change the the downtown. The new waterfront, rail lines, and development of South Lake Union will rebrand the area. Convention center expansion will bring bigger events and more money to the area. Hopefully the development of SoDo will hit strides by 2020.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:09 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
I wouldn't hold too much stock in convention center expansions since EVERY city is either expanding, refurbishing or seriously considering doing so to theirs in order to keep up with the Joneses. If you aren't already a convention city expanding your CC won't necessarily make you a convention city either. There are always exceptions -- and I think Seattle is a legitimate possibility -- but generally I feel this is true, and don't personally wish for my cities (Cleveland and Minneapolis) to start that game.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:16 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
I wouldn't hold too much stock in convention center expansions since EVERY city is either expanding, refurbishing or seriously considering doing so to theirs in order to keep up with the Joneses. If you aren't already a convention city expanding your CC won't necessarily make you a convention city either. There are always exceptions -- and I think Seattle is a legitimate possibility -- but generally I feel this is true, and don't personally wish for my cities (Cleveland and Minneapolis) to start that game.
I think its alitte different for seattle especially with such a strong video game and tech industry. We already host PAX prime which sold out 80,000 tickets in minutes and we have had to reject alot of events because the venue is too small. I think what makes Seattle interesting is its not like typically convention cities. Its i. The heart if downtown, with 12,000 hotel rooms with in a small compact area, lot os unique bars and restaurants, and its easy to walk around. By 2020 we should be up to 14,000 hotel rooms downtown. Have conventions will help bring more money so the downtown can further evolve. I keep hearing from out of state vistors who went to PAX prime say how much they loved being in the city and it was in experience they hadn't gotten in LA or Vegas. Hope more events with help turn our downtown into a true destination.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:33 PM

456 posts, read 774,428 times
Quote:
I agree - convention center expansions are generally a losing game for the cities involved. They tend to produce hulking unfriendly block long buildings to boot. Sadly, its a bit late for Cleveland to have second thoughts though since it just finished its expansion a year ago.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:22 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,848,705 times
From the list I chose downtown Los Angeles. DTLA is becoming "walkable" with all of the new residential buildings being built and small businesses sprouting everywhere. Urbanization is alive and well in DTLA. Also, the river project alone will transform the city.

Not on the list I believe downtown Las Vegas should get a mention. Tony Hseih (CEO of Zappos) has done an extraordinary job of transforming downtown Las Vegas with his vision and investment. Once empty and dilapidated buildings and storefronts now house unique small businesses, restored buildings, technology start-ups and new apartments. Zappos' move from Henderson, NV to the old Las Vegas City Hall building basically started downtown's renaissance. The storage container park is a must visit as well as the many vibrant small businesses and the nearby Mob Museum. DT Vegas is now a place that people want to visit, invest and live. So much has happened is such a short period of time.

-Cheers.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
I agree - convention center expansions are generally a losing game for the cities involved. They tend to produce hulking unfriendly block long buildings to boot. Sadly, its a bit late for Cleveland to have second thoughts though since it just finished its expansion a year ago.
I know, and I did one of these as soon as I realized that! But to be clear, if there is a city that could actually benefit from this I think Seattle is on that short list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City