Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No, I'm saying that we wouldn't have to spend billions upon billions of dollars on infrastructure because it would already be there. We wouldn't have to worry about facilities, and clearly we can hold bigger events much easier than places like Brazil ever could.

Tax money will always be in play, but our country doesn't have nearly the same type of issues.
That is fine and all, but it is still kinda immoral to take peoples money by force for the "common good" and spend it on a soccer game... I am against taxes. (Separate issue) But even if you believe in them, let's fix all the actual problems that need attention before ANY is spent on sports entertainment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 01:35 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
This possible Host city: Washington

How about these cities as possible match cities:

Seattle or Portland
San Diego or Phoenix
Denver
Miami
Dallas or San Antonio
Columbus or Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Charlotte or Atlanta
Portland doesnt even have a stadium large enough to host something on the scale of the world cup. Besides Seattle, Miami, Dallas, Philly, and ATL, i would have a hard time seeing and of the other cities getting chose even if we have 12 sites.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,010 times
The home of the world's largest scoreboards should definitely host a game. It would be incredible, especially with the new pools and cabanas also.

Jacksonville Jaguars New Largest Scoreboards at Everbank Field - YouTube

Old 07-31-2014, 02:08 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Nice scoreboard, but I don't think Jacksonville stands a chance.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:46 PM

708 posts, read 999,598 times
Yea, they will have to use cruise ships for extra hotel, widen expressways etc.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:22 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
The home of the world's largest scoreboards should definitely host a game. It would be incredible, especially with the new pools and cabanas also.

Jacksonville Jaguars New Largest Scoreboards at Everbank Field - YouTube
It's nice, but... no.

I'm sure Jacksonville is a great town. I've heard that the city was a good enough Super Bowl host. But because of the b*tching and complaining from the major media outlets while they were down there, I highly doubt Jacksonville host any big time sporting events, outside of the annual Florida/Georgia game.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:40 PM

25 posts, read 88,182 times
DC
Miami
San Diego
Austin

Old 08-04-2014, 01:26 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Nice scoreboard, but I don't think Jacksonville stands a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Yea, they will have to use cruise ships for extra hotel, widen expressways etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It's nice, but... no.

I'm sure Jacksonville is a great town. I've heard that the city was a good enough Super Bowl host. But because of the b*tching and complaining from the major media outlets while they were down there, I highly doubt Jacksonville host any big time sporting events, outside of the annual Florida/Georgia game.
Yeah, as much as I'd love to see Jax as a World Cup Host, 2022 is too soon to expect that to happen. The city has come A LONG way since the 2005 Super Bowl, but there's still a long way to go. Specifically, there need to be twice the number of hotel rooms near the core, there's still a pretty significant amount of infill that still needs to happen in and near downtown, and there needs to be reliable mass transit options connecting all the popular core neighborhoods to the sports district, to the beaches, and to St Augustine.

That said, this Shad Khan fellow seems to be able to make things happen and if he has his way (and continues to lead the charge for economic development in Jax and redevelopment of the downtown and sports districts) then I believe Jacksonville has a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl or NCAA Football playoff games around 2022. But for the WC it's still likely too much of a stretch.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:50 PM

182 posts, read 297,655 times
Here are my picks..

1. Seattle( their venue is perfect for soccer)
2. San Francisco(new niners stadium)
3. Los Angeles(possible new nfl venue)
4. Minneapolis( new vikings stadium under construction, plus tcf bank stadium)
5. Chicago
6. Atlanta( new stadium under construction)
7. Houston(huge international community, plus Dallas already hosted the '94 cup)
8. Miami
9. New York

Old 06-03-2015, 10:54 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times
I think the list would be taken from anyone who has submitted bids approved bids to host matches in the 2016 Copa América Centenario. So that includes:

Copa América Centenario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then you can start to pare down the list a bit with which stadiums/cities were chosen to host large Gold Cup matches this summer. If you are on both lists as approved, its safe to assume you would have an extremely good chance of hosting a world cup match:

2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So limiting it to a list of 12, I would go with:

1. NYC - Met life Stadium. Capacity: 83k
2. Pasadena - Rose Bowl. Capacity: 91k
3. Philadelphia - Lincoln Financial Field. Capacity: 70k (Hosting GC Final)
4. Boston/Foxboro - Gillette Stadium. Capacity: 69k
5. Atlanta - Georgia Dome. Capacity: 71k. (Not sure how they would feel about playing in a dome though)
6. Baltimore - M&T Bank Stadium. Capacity: 71k
7. Seattle - Century Link Field. Capacity: 67k
8. Kansas City - Arrowhead Stadium. Capacity: 80k
9. Chicago - Soldier Field. Capacity: 63k
10. Glendale - University of Phoenix Stadium. Capacity: 63k
11. Houston - NRG Stadium. Capacity: 71k
12. Miami - Sun Life Stadium. Capacity: 66k (I included Miami because they are an International draw and SLS has undergone quite the impressive renovation)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City