Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2016, 01:07 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, DC gets very little love on this forum. I also find Atlanta the same as it's rarely thrown out as a recommendation for anyone relocating to a major metro.
This is also true. Atlanta gets knocks for traffic and sprawl and what not, but guess what? That's America. Atlanta has a lot of quality attractions, culture, and quality jobs. Atlanta city proper actually has more Fortune 500 presence than any city in the country other than NYC and the Texas big 2.

Both Atlanta and DC deserve more respect. I wouldn't retire in either area, but I'd definitely work and raise a family. Good jobs and good schools aplenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 02:58 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, DC gets very little love....
Drain the swamp ....and after the crash, forgive and forget....

Old 11-20-2016, 03:43 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Overrated: Pittsburgh
-Its a fine city but it is the 'go to' for everyone thats making a top 10 list of pretty much anything. Ive seen it top lists online for : Food(what a joke), best places to retire(uh..yeah cuz old people love driving up and down hills on ice), Affordability(not anymore), 'Livability' (whatever that means, i am here and i still live..i dunno.)

I mean, there are still a few that haven't payed attention since 1985 and think its a 'sneaky cool cheap city' but, guess what...most people figured that out 15 years ago, its not cheap to live here, and you can't get a good deal on housing unless you want to live in a pretty sketchy (or just dirty/inconvenient/out of the way) neighborhood. There is just no way it should be on some of the lists, let alone #1?(i mean food here getting better but top 10, let alone #1 is a joke)

Underrated
Columbia SC for a wild variety of reasons to me anyway but just the fact its preobably the biggest city that has been mentioned in this thread the least(if at all, im still on page 8) should say something about being overlooked.
Pittsburgh may be slightly overrated on this forum, but in the real world most people think it's a step above
Flint. And for all the talk about how it's not affordable anymore, you can still find a 2 Br condo in some of the city's most desirable neighborhoods for under 200k.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh...home/108983546

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/73533801

You can still rent in the most desirable, walkable areas for under $1000.
Floor Plans of East Liberty Place - South in Pittsburgh, PA

You can buy a 4Br house in a less cool, but safe neighborhood with good mass transit and a business district for under 200k.

https://www.redfin.com/PA/Pittsburgh.../home/74597289

The days of 50k Lawrenceville homes are over, but the demise of Pittsburgh's affordability has been greatly exaggerated.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:11 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
I think the reason Philly is underrated is because it is overlooked and a bit forgotten about, due to it being so close to NYC and DC to a lesser extent. I have a lot of family in the area and lived in South Jersey for a little while, so I am pretty familiar.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all though. It probably helps keep the area affordable. And you can just go to NYC and DC whenever you feel like it. I have friends from there that will just wake up one day and decide they wanna come to NY so they just hit me up and crash at my apartment.

For the people saying NYC is overrated, I personally disagree, but I can totally see how people can come visit and think that. Especially if they stay in Midtown and spend most of their time in Midtown, which a lot of people do.

lol I'm just gonna stop there before I go on another Midtown rant ...

I'm just gonna say NYC is a huge place and I think you really need to live here for a while to get to know it. This can probably be said for a few other cities as well

Old 11-20-2016, 05:28 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think the reason Philly is underrated is because it is overlooked and a bit forgotten about, due to it being so close to NYC and DC to a lesser extent. I have a lot of family in the area and lived in South Jersey for a little while, so I am pretty familiar.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all though. It probably helps keep the area affordable. And you can just go to NYC and DC whenever you feel like it. I have friends from there that will just wake up one day and decide they wanna come to NY so they just hit me up and crash at my apartment.

For the people saying NYC is overrated, I personally disagree, but I can totally see how people can come visit and think that. Especially if they stay in Midtown and spend most of their time in Midtown, which a lot of people do.

I'm just gonna say NYC is a huge place and I think you really need to live here for a while to get to know it. This can probably be said for a few other cities as well

Philly is so completely underrated. I think people on this site fixate too much on median household income as if that would actually affect them. Your career pays roughly what your career pays, with a reasonable variance from city to city. Most people's income isn't going to go up that much if they move to Seattle, DC or San Francisco. Philly offers a top-notch urban lifestyle with the cost of living below Denver or Minneapolis. I'd rank it behind only Chicago for best bang for your buck, but then again I don't get off on the percentage of my neighbors who have graduate degrees.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:07 PM

74 posts, read 60,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
^^True. More people from Europe know about Philadelphia than Americans.
Pathetic. Just like Boston. They're overshadowed by New York and Chicago in this general region of the country.... ignorance is bliss, i guess.

Very true. Friend of mine came to NYC from Sweden to open a bank account, so I met him there and when asked about other cities like Philly, he says he really wants to go there because of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. No joke.

On this forum, you have people suggesting that doesn't happen. Such BS.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:57 PM

313 posts, read 336,458 times
Yes If your from Monaco , French Riviera or northern Italy you know Grace Kelly was from Philadelphia . She was very popular in that region and her family still has ties in Philadelphia .

Old 11-21-2016, 12:32 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

Oh god, are there really still people who just stay in Midtown? I think with the internet now, people would figure out to check out Lower Manhattan and Northern Brooklyn as well.

I went to a bar in Midtown Manhattan once (forgive me) and there were these 3 British dudes who I talked to, they said NYC's nightlife is way better than London's and I'm pretty sure they haven't even gone downtown yet! I told them to go to the East Village or Lower East Side, I hope they went.

I'm so proud of NYC's nightlife that I love it when tourists ask me about it, some people from Utah randomly asked me when the bars close and I said 4AM like and they were pleasantly surprised.

And Philly is awesome! I went like 4 times since 2014 and want to go back again. It's such a cool city, I love the vibe.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:43 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,474,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTalk View Post
Everyone I know loves Philly. It just flies under the radar.

They all wonder why it doesn't get more recognition.
Same here. This thread is making me want to book a trip soon! Although I think I'd rather wait til it gets warm out.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:02 AM

74 posts, read 60,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Same here. This thread is making me want to book a trip soon! Although I think I'd rather wait til it gets warm out.

I think the older stereotypes still affect it for some people, no matter how ridiculous they are.

I don't know if people that go to Philly are expecting East St. Louis or what, but its hilarious.

It's closest relative is Boston and New York. Its an American version of Montreal.

A lot of people I know love it because it's very quirky and gritty like Brooklyn. The mix of history and public art adds such a unique element that gives it its own local flair.

Philly is a great example of a large city that is very provincial so it feels like a small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City