Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 02:07 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about either place to be honest, I feel I know Phoenix a bit better than Philadelphia, and admittedly Arizona much better than Pennsylvania (I haven't seen most of PA yet; while I've seen almost all of AZ). I'm very indifferent about Phoenix, don't love it nor hate it, don't like it but don't dislike it, just a "no comment" sort of opinion overall. Don't know what to make of the place yet. However, I do love Arizona, as a terrain, as a state, as a history, as a culture but Phoenix has very little influence on that for me.

I don't like to shut the door on anywhere until I know it's not for me. I like large market sort of places, they're my only options and both cities would qualify in that nationwide (Philadelphia more so). My general interest in both cities is from the viewpoint of a visitor, it would be nice to visit both again at some point, probably soon as I have a bit of open time right now, but get a good feel of what both areas actively offer before I go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 02:08 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Were you here for the past Winter in Philly? If so, how was your first "real winter" experience?
No, but I have been in Philly once during a "mild" December. I lived for 3 years in the DC Area, including the Snowmaggedon 2009-2010 winter. Horrible. I hate when weather goes below 70F, but would be able to tolerate snow and cold more if it were like the 6 months I spent in Portsmouth, VA. Crisp and some snow, but the snow was enjoyable because it only lasted like two days, as did the extreme cold, then it melted away. It was not too much snow that fell, lasted for months along with bitter cold and ugly bare trees...like I experienced in Washington DC, and will here. I am so glad we missed the last winter here-I heard it was brutal.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:19 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,890,299 times
I'm sure Philadelphia's a fine city as cities go. For me, its still the Northeast, which blows. Too many people no wilderness. Narrow, cramped, crappy old buildings. Same with the streets. Same with the houses, small yards if you have one, you're neighbors are often on the other side of the wall, and old and creepy.

Public transportation sucks, I'd rather saw my nipples off than have to ride a bus or some train thing.

The weather back there is terrible. Sitting still in a chair outside last summer in Massachusetts I sweat worse than I ever have in my life. Streams of sweat were pouring down my forehead, my shirt was stuck to my body. The most amazing thing about that; it was only 88 degrees that day. I've never sweat like that in PHX once in my life except maybe on a long run in the summer and even then my clothes didn't stick to me. Heat aside, its too cold. Wintertime of course, but highs in the 50's in spring and fall? I don't go outside when its 50 or so, and thats not even the low. I don't own a pair of long pants and I'm glad.

I'm sure Philadelphia has more bars and art crap or whatever, but when you live in an ant farm Northeast city so removed from the outdoors and personal space your only outlet is being a consumer, which is the only thing to aspire to in a dense urban setting. Over all, I'd say comparing the two, a place like Philadelphia is just such a poor quality of life. The East has been the way its been for so long the people don't even realize what an expensive, stressful prison it is.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:25 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
I know right I laughed out loud when I read that. No nature? It's just brick building after brick building until you reach the Midwest right? No trees, nothing!

As if the desert is really nature. You know that place where they have to pump water in from hundreds of miles away just to live? Yeah that place.

No thsnks. I'll take the tree covered forests of the northeast any day.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:45 AM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Exactly. There's such a misconception that it's so hard to access nature in big cities on the East Coast. No, we don't have mountains at our doorstep, but there are still so many options to experience nature very close by.

I don't think many outsiders realize that Philadelphia is surrounded by tons of permanently-preserved open space and farms -- it's not a giant, endless suburban amalgam that you find out West. There are fields within minutes of the city. It's what lends to a true urban/suburban dynamic.

This is literally right next to Philly:

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.09...27.66,,0,-9.02

Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
I'm sure Philadelphia's a fine city as cities go. For me, its still the Northeast, which blows. Too many people no wilderness. Narrow, cramped, crappy old buildings. Same with the streets. Same with the houses, small yards if you have one, you're neighbors are often on the other side of the wall, and old and creepy.

Public transportation sucks, I'd rather saw my nipples off than have to ride a bus or some train thing.

The weather back there is terrible. Sitting still in a chair outside last summer in Massachusetts I sweat worse than I ever have in my life. Streams of sweat were pouring down my forehead, my shirt was stuck to my body. The most amazing thing about that; it was only 88 degrees that day. I've never sweat like that in PHX once in my life except maybe on a long run in the summer and even then my clothes didn't stick to me. Heat aside, its too cold. Wintertime of course, but highs in the 50's in spring and fall? I don't go outside when its 50 or so, and thats not even the low. I don't own a pair of long pants and I'm glad.

I'm sure Philadelphia has more bars and art crap or whatever, but when you live in an ant farm Northeast city so removed from the outdoors and personal space your only outlet is being a consumer, which is the only thing to aspire to in a dense urban setting. Over all, I'd say comparing the two, a place like Philadelphia is just such a poor quality of life. The East has been the way its been for so long the people don't even realize what an expensive, stressful prison it is.
The average highs in Philadelphia are 65 and 74 for April and May and 78 67 and 57 for September, October, November.

And do you really think there is no wilderness in Pennsylvania? We actually have a beautiful Park in Philadelphia and easy access to both beaches and mountains-I would most definitely miss the Ocean in Phoenix.

I was just at Island Beach State Park in New Jersey on Sunday-it was the nicest beach in Jersey I have seen.

My pics

It is said that every neighborhood in Philadelphia has access to a part of the Fairmount Park system.

This is The Wissahickon where I walk my dog everyday. I do live in a "cramped" rowhouse near public transportation but can walk here in 5 minutes whenever I want.

Attached Thumbnails
Phoenix versus Philadelphia-20140810_160021.jpg  

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 08-12-2014 at 07:45 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 08:50 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
You beat me with these links. Cacto, certainly has some misconceptions about Philly. Well, most Americans still do.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,754,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. There's such a misconception that it's so hard to access nature in big cities on the East Coast. No, we don't have mountains at our doorstep, but there are still so many options to experience nature very close by.

I don't think many outsiders realize that Philadelphia is surrounded by tons of permanently-preserved open space and farms -- it's not a giant, endless suburban amalgam that you find out West. There are fields within minutes of the city. It's what lends to a true urban/suburban dynamic.

This is literally right next to Philly:

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.09...27.66,,0,-9.02
There was actually a working farm, I believe, INSIDE Philadelphia not that long ago.... in the 80s.

And, absolutely, yes about open ground. Before all the sprawl was built along West Chester Pike, there was a lot of farm land all the way to West Goshen and West Chester. Once you passed Newtown Sq there were fields of corn.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I know right I laughed out loud when I read that. No nature? It's just brick building after brick building until you reach the Midwest right? No trees, nothing!

As if the desert is really nature. You know that place where they have to pump water in from hundreds of miles away just to live? Yeah that place.

The desert IS nature. Just different from the forests in the East. And out East is not always green. From late-November until mid-April, the trees are ugly and bare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City