Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City MOST like Los Angeles?
Austin 3 1.44%
Raleigh 2 0.96%
San Antonio 6 2.88%
Houston 83 39.90%
Dallas 18 8.65%
Denver 13 6.25%
Orlando 6 2.88%
Salt Lake City 2 0.96%
Oklahoma City 5 2.40%
Miami 70 33.65%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times

Advertisements

San Diego. But since it's not on the list, then Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 11:03 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,643,243 times
And I should point out, this thread alone is proof positive that there are significant differences between Houston and Dallas. If Dallas were like Houston, people would vote it similar to LA as well.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:07 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
And I should point out, this thread alone is proof positive that there are significant differences between Houston and Dallas. If Dallas were like Houston, people would vote it similar to LA as well.
You have to realize though that C-D polls are hardly gospel truth. I have lived in all 3 of the cities you mentioned (Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas), and trust me... Houston and Dallas are much more alike than Houston and L.A. are. Or than Dallas and L.A. are for that matter.

I will concede that between Houston and Dallas, Houston shares a bit more in common with L.A., but nowhere near as much as it shares in common with Dallas. I wouldn't go so far as to call the numbers in this poll "proof-positive". Sure, there are differences between H and D, but they're pretty minor differences in reality. I think it's just a matter of stereotypes where people think of Houston and Los Angeles as being similar. Freeway culture, smog, large international population (which Dallas also has), busy ports, multiple skyscraper clusters outside of their respective downtowns, hip-hop culture, grittiness contrasting modernity, etc.

Dallas is more quintessentially Texan in character than Houston is, so perhaps that is swaying some of the votes towards Houston. Houston is kind of what you get when you take L.A., remove the mountains, mild Mediterranean climate, tourism, and iconic beaches... then mix it up with a bit of New Orleans, a bit of South Texas Tex-Mex culture, a bit of "New South" Atlanta-like culture, and a lot of heavy industry. Then again, Houston is a city still in the process of building it's own identity. I'm really not sure why it's getting so many votes.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 08-23-2014 at 12:22 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 12:32 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
You have to realize though that C-D polls are hardly gospel truth. I have lived in all 3 of the cities you mentioned (Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas), and trust me... Houston and Dallas are much more alike than Houston and L.A. are. Or than Dallas and L.A. are for that matter.

I will concede that between Houston and Dallas, Houston shares a bit more in common with L.A., but nowhere near as much as it shares in common with Dallas. I wouldn't go so far as to call the numbers in this poll "proof-positive". Sure, there are differences between H and D, but they're pretty minor differences in reality. I think it's just a matter of stereotypes where people think of Houston and Los Angeles as being similar. Freeway culture, smog, large international population (which Dallas also has), busy ports, multiple skyscraper clusters outside of their respective downtowns, hip-hop culture, grittiness contrasting modernity, etc.

Dallas is more quintessentially Texan in character than Houston is, so perhaps that is swaying some of the votes towards Houston. Houston is kind of what you get when you take L.A., remove the mountains, mild Mediterranean climate, tourism, and iconic beaches... then mix it up with a bit of New Orleans, a bit of South Texas Tex-Mex culture, a bit of "New South" Atlanta-like culture, and a lot of heavy industry. Then again, Houston is a city still in the process of building it's own identity. I'm really not sure why it's getting so many votes.
Looking at Google maps, Denver seems to have the most similar bungalow-style architecture as LA. I also see the similarities between the snow capped San Gabriel Mountains background skyline, and the vantage point of the Rockies behind the Denver skyline.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:35 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Looking at Google maps, Denver seems to have the most similar bungalow-style architecture as LA. I also see the similarities between the snow capped San Gabriel Mountains background skyline, and the vantage point of the Rockies behind the Denver skyline.
There are a few neighborhoods on the near-West side of Houston that have the same kind of bungalow style layout that you see in L.A. Especially in the Heights, just Northwest of DT Houston, and in some ways, the Montrose/Neartown area resembles a small-scale version of South Hollywood and Mid-City. And many of the older, inner-ring suburbs just outside loop 610 on the West and SW side of town look a bit like certain West SFV neighborhoods (Canoga Park, Northridge, Winnetka, West Hills)... but I would imagine that overall, Denver probably has more of these kind of neighborhoods. I've never been to Denver, so I don't have a frame of reference there.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:26 AM

81 posts, read 105,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^ This

Old 08-23-2014, 11:28 AM

Born and raised in houston.. but los angeles is my second home. . I travel regularly there I have family in south central and I can say I always feel like I'm in houston.. Traffic and Asians everywhere. . And I love it!!!

Old 08-23-2014, 11:32 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
I never been to any city in the world that is anything like LA. LA because of its proximity to Hollywood and its scenery is unlike any city in the world. LA is nothing like Miami or Houston not even close. Phoenix is nothing like LA yes and has mountains and desert but its much more hot and is not on the Pacific. LA and NY are cities that have no equal or similar like cities but again just my opinion. I love LA thou.. if it wasn't so expensive I would move there after finish graduate school. -RL

Old 08-23-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:

I don't think you understood the op question.. no two cities are identical.. Houston FEELS alot mor like la than dallas FEELS like houston. . Dallas feels wide open and brown.. Dallas culture is more texan and oklahoma. . Houston is more new Orleans Louisiana culture

Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,051 times
Quote:
I agree, and I lived in Phoenix for 8 years. Phoenix is much more like the inland empire suburbs (San Bernardino-Riverside-Fontana) than it is like the actual city of Los Angeles. Big difference IMO.
Phoenix is a nice city to live like Houston but its not a touristy city. Phoenix is super hot during the summer. I like Arizona but mostly in the winter and spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City