Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:56 AM

94 posts, read 281,997 times

Advertisements

"The only movie ive really noticed NYC on a BIG movie this year (or last) was batman, but then again.. that may be Chicago? isnt that another arguement on a different thread"

That in fact was Chicago but media attention has little to do with a city's influence on America anyway. The answer to this topic is pretty obvious, not even debatable in my opinion. Media influence is arguable between these two cities, but just about every other category of national influence is in NYC's favor. Stock, finance, business, advertising, etc all influence America more than film and all are more prevalant in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
8La taking the stock exchange from ny is laughable. Didnt they try to start one though? The pacific exchange or something?

Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Kaboom!
Nothing says "America" or LA/So Cal like

the modern freeway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arroyo_Seco_Parkway

Mc Donalds
McDonald's History - About McDonald's

Disney
Disneyland History

Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
If we're going to reduce the US to freeways, McDonald's and Disney, then we might as well end the country.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
8La taking the stock exchange from ny is laughable. Didnt they try to start one though? The pacific exchange or something?
Lol yeah it is. But so was the claim that NY could take Hollywood; I mean where exactly would it go? And what would they do with all the studios and prime weather conditions that they utilize in CA? I was just messin wit ya! I don't think either claim is at all realistic.

There was a Pacific Coast Stock Exchange in both SF and LA which was regional and at one time actually had some relevance, but now is barely existent as far as I know. It actually was a combination of two separate exchanges that originated in the 1880's and then merged in the 1950's. Similar regional exchanges existed in Philly, Chicago and Boston, but a few years ago the Pacific was acquired by the NYSE and the Philly and Boston ones were acquired by the NASDAQ. As far as I know some trading is still done in the SF one, but I believe it is minimal.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Default Not exhaustive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If we're going to reduce the US to freeways, McDonald's and Disney, then we might as well end the country.
As we were saying, whereas LA is innovative and holds mass appeal, NY is "tired." Compare and contrast TV shows.

LA:
Behind the Scenes - American Idol

NY:
All My Children - Home - ABC.com

How about amusement parks?
NY:

LA:

Old 06-11-2009, 01:03 PM

94 posts, read 281,997 times
Just to state again...you're comparing trivial things. TV, amusement parks, Disney Land, McDonald's?

National influence stretches far beyond the glitz and glamor of film and television.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
As we were saying, whereas LA is innovative and holds mass appeal, NY is "tired." Compare and contrast TV shows.

LA:
Behind the Scenes - American Idol

NY:
All My Children - Home - ABC.com

How about amusement parks?
NY:

LA:
Let's where your logic goes. You cite freeways, mcdonald's and disney--all long-honored traditions in this country, I'm sure. Now how does that stack up with suburbs, mass transit, elevators, skyscrapers,

You started by citing historic precedence, but then you start tossing in the new amusement parks of LA versus that of Coney Island. Funny how that works.

You cite a knock-off of a British show as LA's innovation. Well, congratulations, I suppose. If you really want to talk about where the reality TV boom kicked off in the states, a better choice would probably be The Real World which kicked off in NYC and was created for a network headquartered in NYC (MTV, kinda recognizable).

You choose All My Children as NYC's representative to show that it's old and tired. Well, maybe we can try harder and actually look for less old and tired shows (not that I have anything against All My Children). How about The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and most of Comedy Central's lineup (also headquartered in NYC)? Or the various hits that have come out of Silvercup Studios in the last decade?

Now even if all of the above weren't true, NYC still has the nation by its balls through its financial services. Unfortunately, NYC is still the media capital of the US (the only place LA wins is in film production) so it's also inside the nation's head. So, balls and head. NYC pretty much has it clamped.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Let's where your logic goes. You cite freeways, mcdonald's and disney--all long-honored traditions in this country, I'm sure. Now how does that stack up with suburbs, mass transit, elevators, skyscrapers,

You started by citing historic precedence, but then you start tossing in the new amusement parks of LA versus that of Coney Island. Funny how that works.

You cite a knock-off of a British show as LA's innovation. Well, congratulations, I suppose. If you really want to talk about where the reality TV boom kicked off in the states, a better choice would probably be The Real World which kicked off in NYC and was created for a network headquartered in NYC (MTV, kinda recognizable).

You choose All My Children as NYC's representative to show that it's old and tired. Well, maybe we can try harder and actually look for less old and tired shows (not that I have anything against All My Children). How about The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and most of Comedy Central's lineup (also headquartered in NYC)? Or the various hits that have come out of Silvercup Studios in the last decade?

Now even if all of the above weren't true, NYC still has the nation by its balls through its financial services. Unfortunately, NYC is still the media capital of the US (the only place LA wins is in film production) so it's also inside the nation's head. So, balls and head. NYC pretty much has it clamped.
Very good post!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Oy, I'd rep you if I could, but I gotta spread it around. Jay, it's ridiculous to cherry pick like this. It doesn't make others think "wow, NY is outdated!". It makes others think "wow, this dude is desperate to put others down in order to make himself feel better".

Another great show in NY is 30 Rock. That's taped in NY, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City