Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The following city has the greatest influence on the rest of the U.S.A...
New York City 502 68.30%
Los Angeles 233 31.70%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
We understand. It's probably because none of your local teams aren't good at any of them in the major sports
I think we could careles either way. College is just not something we entertain out here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:37 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Do not player hate. It makes you look...small...just like one of your enchanted, 12 mile islands.

When was the last time ny hosted a Super Bowl or a major college football bowl game? O that's right, NEVER!
First off, I'm not player hating. I like college football probably more than you could ever imagine. I think Southern Cal is awesome and they're easily a Top 5 program year-in, year-out. However, the support given to them does not show that. Congrats on showing a half-picture of the Coliseum, but here are some official stats from Phil Steele:

LA Memorial Coliseum: 92,000
Average Attendance: 87,476

So, no, it's not always a packed house. Look at big-time programs down South like Florida (Capacity: 88,548; Avg Attendance: 90,388), you'll see their fans are the ones who are football crazy.

Second, I'm not from New York. I'm from the best sports city in the country of this decade. Third, you also showed a picture of the Rose Bowl being filled by 50% Penn State fans. I know each school gets an even number of tickets, but you're acting like this is all USC fans bringing down the house.

Of course you're so insecure that you have to show a girls volleyball match to make yourself feel better. A playa like you shouldn't have to try so hard!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:13 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Well ok then is NYC and LA the most diversed...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...y-america.html

However, NYC has more notable marks than LA. We have the most parades, Hip Hop was born in NYC, NYC is one of the capital fashions, nobody beats our skylines, etc... they may come close but nobody beats it, etc...

Old 06-22-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
I think we could careles either way. College is just not something we entertain out here
I agree we do not care about college teams.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Quote:
YOU:
what are you fantasizing about me or something???? You guys are known for that wierd stuff. Thats why they call your state land of the fruits.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I agree LosAngelesNightmare is just a hater. NYC nobody cant deny NYC greatness.
Nah he just mad because LA is getting killed...have you seen the poll at top of page? LA is getting smacked.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Nah he just mad because LA is getting killed...have you seen the poll at top of page? LA is getting smacked.
Lol that is so true, I did not even realize that until you said it lol.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
LOL. NYC weather is **** compared to LA's beautiful weather. Everyone across the world boasts about the weather we have in SoCal. What's a white xmas got on a beautiful 70-80 F weather on a winter season? I can start up the grill and get a great family BBQ going. Also, if we wanted some snow, Mountain High is a little over an hour drive away and not to mention Big Bear isnt too far either. There's just simply way more to do here in SoCal than that metropolitan hell hole kown as NYC. LOL on the Hollywood stereotype as if you've ever been to LA. LA is wayyyyyy more diverse than NYC, and considering the fact that NYC has been around much longer than LA.
First off your being dishonest about winter weather. I't more like 60s and sometimes 70s. trarely is it in the 80s in the winter. The weather in the winter isn't warm enough to hang out at the beach either. Its too cold.LA is second maybe. Check poll at top of page. By the way your local mountains suck as well. Everyone goes to mammoth which is hours away, because the local mountains are crap. I grew u in LA and its not even close to as diverse as NYC.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Do not player hate. It makes you look...small...just like one of your enchanted, 12 mile islands.

When was the last time ny hosted a Super Bowl or a major college football bowl game? O that's right, NEVER!

ROSE BOWL HISTORY
ROSE BOWL NEWS

The Rose Bowl History is - at the very core of its conception - a colorful story. It started with the Tournament of the Roses a grand celebration of life, and the new year.
The first Tournament of Roses was staged in 1890
by members of Pasadena's Valley Hunt Club, former residents of the East and Midwest eager to showcase their new home's mild winter weather."In New York, people are buried in snow," announced Professor Charles F. Holder at a Club meeting. "Here our flowers are blooming and our oranges are about to bear. Let's hold a festival to
tell the world about our paradise."
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
During the next few years, the festival expanded to include marching bands and motorized floats. The games on the town lot (which was re-named Tournament Park in 1900) included ostrich races, bronco busting demonstrations and a race between a camel and an elephant (the elephant won). Reviewing stands were built along the Parade route, and Eastern newspapers began to take notice of the event. In 1895, the Tournament of Roses Association was formed to take charge of the festival, which had grown too large for the Valley Hunt Club to handle.
In 1902, the Tournament of Roses decided to enhance the day’s festivities by adding a football game – the first post season college football game ever held. Stanford University accepted the invitation to take on the powerhouse University of Michigan, but the West Coast team was flattened 49-0 and gave up in the third quarter. The lopsided score prompted the Tournament to give up football in favor of Roman-style chariot races. In 1916, football returned to stay and the crowds soon outgrew the stands in Tournament Park. William L. Leishman, the Tournament’s 1920 President, envisioned a stadium similar to the Yale Bowl, the first great modern football stadium, to be built in Pasadena’s Arroyo Seco area. The new stadium hosted its first New Year’s football game in 1923 and soon earned the nickname “The Rose Bowl.”
The Tournament of Roses has come a long way since its early days. The Rose Parade’s elaborate floats now feature high-tech computerized animation and exotic natural materials from around the world. Although a few floats are still built exclusively by volunteers from their sponsoring communities, most are built by professional float building companies and take nearly a year to construct. The year-long effort pays off on New Year’s morning, when millions of viewers around the world enjoy the Rose Parade.
Now, as part of the Bowl Championship Series, the Rose Bowl has hosted the National Championship Game between the top two teams in the nation in 2002 and 2006, and will host the National Championship again in 2010.
The rest, as they say is history - Rose Bowl History, that is.
See how wack LA is. The Rose bowl is in Pasadena, not LA. Whats wrong can't LA stand alone. Like I said before LA sucks so much that nothing its known for is even in it. The rich and famous don't live in LA they live in Beverly Hills ( a different city connected to LA), unlike NYC where they live right inNYC, not North Jersey, Westchester County,Connecticut, or Long Island. The famous shopping her isn't on Rodeo Dr. ( again beverly Hills and not LA).

Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
We're getting pretty far away from how much influence each city has. Individual college and pro sports teams exercise relatively little influence on the nation. A place's local weather does not exercise too much national influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City