Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM

211 posts, read 299,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPH2 View Post
I just moved to Cleveland after living in DC for seven years. I would never live in Vegas (and only have been there once) mainly because I don't like the desert environment and I think it lacks any kind of traditional city character (i.e. downtown, walkable neighborhoods, parks, etc).

DC is obviously a much better city than Cleveland. The economy is much better, the weather is better, the architecture is better, there is more to do, more neighborhoods are intact, and public transportation is better.

BUT, there are a few reasons why I chose to move to Cleveland. You get much more bang for your buck here. It's amazing how much lower housing prices are here. You can do most of the same things here as you can in DC, but there just aren't as many options. We have great neighborhoods, with great bars/restaurants, and also lots of great outdoor activities.

The best thing about being here is that there is a better community and the people are better and more down to earth. We have a pride in the city that doesn't always exist in DC. People tend to be in Cleveland more long term than in the DC area, and while that may be a bit hard adjusting to if you're a newcomer, we still are a very friendly people and generally quite welcoming.

I say choose Cleveland.
Cleveland isn't bad, but I dont think it is very appealing to most people either. It is always cloudy in the winter time, one of the cloudiest areas outside of the PNW. At least the PNW is more temperate than the great lakes.

It is just so depressing not seeing the sun for long stretches of time. This goes not only for Cleveland but for Buffalo... Detroit ... etc midwest cities. The snow in Cleveland is terrible.

Cleveland does have decent nature and some elevation change. However, it is hard to go outside and enjoy the outdoors after working a full time job and the nightly lows are in the 20s and teens with windchills lower than that.

I think I am mostly deciding between Vegas and DC. The income is roughly the same after taxes and the Vegas job is 20% less hours and stress. Tough decision. Basically comes down to how much I hate cold weather and how much I like nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 01:34 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
A nice nice row home can range from 700k-10 million (certain areas in kalorama, georgetown, etc) although the ones in the millions are the luxury ones. I believe they could go higher than that but those type of row homes are barley on the market. Yes, DC is super expensive and can't compete with Las Vegas when it comes to COL.
I think the atmosphere in both cities is great... but I just don't know how people can justify spending THAT much money to get yourself in a really good living situation over there. I guess if you got it and you can make it happen without going underwater, more power to em.
I will say this -- the houses themselves look really nice, but if they were detached and each had more green space or a yard, I'd love it. Parking also seems a bit odd with no driveways and packing on only one side of the street.

Just went on Zillow for fun to see what it was like over there... trying to compare is tough, but I did Summerlin vs. Georgetown... probably the two best neighborhoods in each town. I narrowed my search down to the "20007" zip code for Georgetown and 89135 for Summerlin.
For Summerlin, I chose single-family homes and for GT I chose single-family homes as well as townhomes.
There are 24 homes for sale in Summerlin between 200-250k... not too bad.

There is one home for sale under 700k and it is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath 1,000 sq ft townhome. The back "yard" looks really, really dirty and run down compared to the front. The inside of the house is absolutely gorgeous, no doubt about it. Updated, warm and inviting.
1924 35th Pl NW, Washington, DC 20007 is For Sale - Zillow
Price: $665,000
Property Tax: $5369
Estimated Mortgage: $2480

So here's a few examples of some of the Summerlin homes...

With the first, you get a house nearly twice the size, has a pool and something to do behind the house, a 2nd floor balcony, greenery out front an extra bedroom and extra bath and a half.
2146 Valley Sand St, Las Vegas, NV 89135 is For Sale - Zillow
Price: $249k
Property Tax: $1768
Estimated Mortgage: $932/mo

With the second, take a look at the space... and especially the photos showing the yard. This is what I mean about green space in yards... this is not uncommon out here (in the pictures, you can see trees all over other people's yards too).
9748 Bighorn Island Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89148 is For Sale - Zillow
Price: $265k
Property Tax: $1569
Estimated Mortgage: $988/mo

I guess it just comes down to, if that kind of cost is worth it, go for it.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:41 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,363,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
I quess you would think that. How much more. Would they get to a million dollars? More than that?

What is a nice row house in good Washington worth...I bet you know...
Deluusions post pretty much sums it up. From what I've seen posted on realtor.com, many row homes in the central neighborhoods have sold for 1 to 2 million.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
I think the atmosphere in both cities is great... but I just don't know how people can justify spending THAT much money to get yourself in a really good living situation over there. I guess if you got it and you can make it happen without going underwater, more power to em.
I will say this -- the houses themselves look really nice, but if they were detached and each had more green space or a yard, I'd love it. Parking also seems a bit odd with no driveways and packing on only one side of the street.

Just went on Zillow for fun to see what it was like over there... trying to compare is tough, but I did Summerlin vs. Georgetown... probably the two best neighborhoods in each town. I narrowed my search down to the "20007" zip code for Georgetown and 89135 for Summerlin.
For Summerlin, I chose single-family homes and for GT I chose single-family homes as well as townhomes.
There are 24 homes for sale in Summerlin between 200-250k... not too bad.

There is one home for sale under 700k and it is a 2 bedroom, 1 bath 1,000 sq ft townhome. The back "yard" looks really, really dirty and run down compared to the front. The inside of the house is absolutely gorgeous, no doubt about it. Updated, warm and inviting.
1924 35th Pl NW, Washington, DC 20007 is For Sale - Zillow
Price: $665,000
Property Tax: $5369
Estimated Mortgage: $2480

So here's a few examples of some of the Summerlin homes...

With the first, you get a house nearly twice the size, has a pool and something to do behind the house, a 2nd floor balcony, greenery out front an extra bedroom and extra bath and a half.
2146 Valley Sand St, Las Vegas, NV 89135 is For Sale - Zillow
Price: $249k
Property Tax: $1768
Estimated Mortgage: $932/mo

With the second, take a look at the space... and especially the photos showing the yard. This is what I mean about green space in yards... this is not uncommon out here (in the pictures, you can see trees all over other people's yards too).
9748 Bighorn Island Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89148 is For Sale - Zillow
Price: $265k
Property Tax: $1569
Estimated Mortgage: $988/mo

I guess it just comes down to, if that kind of cost is worth it, go for it.
Yes I get it but you're comparing a city style home to a suburban style home. You're going to pay more when you live in the city, especially on the east coast. It's the same thing for NYC or Boston. It's very expensive to live in those cities, aswell as San Francisco. Yes you're getting more bang for your buck in summerlin.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:12 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Yes I get it but you're comparing a city style home to a suburban style home. You're going to pay more when you live in the city, especially on the east coast. It's the same thing for NYC or Boston. It's very expensive to live in those cities, aswell as San Francisco. Yes you're getting more bang for your buck in summerlin.
True and fair.

In that respect, Vegas doesn't really have an ideal urban residential hub, unless you want to be stacked up in a tower somewhere down by the adult playground - gross.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
True and fair.

In that respect, Vegas doesn't really have an ideal urban residential hub, unless you want to be stacked up in a tower somewhere down by the adult playground - gross.
Ok you're finally getting it, basically what I was trying to get across to you the whole time and some.

But yes cities like DC, NYC, San Francisco, etc are expensive cities but for reasons. They're not expensive just to be expensive. Like I said high demand, educated populace, amentities, and very good job market.

But but yes Vegas you're getting more bang for your buck and way better weather than any east coast city, cause even florida it rains everyday.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:06 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
Cleveland isn't bad, but I dont think it is very appealing to most people either. It is always cloudy in the winter time, one of the cloudiest areas outside of the PNW. At least the PNW is more temperate than the great lakes.

It is just so depressing not seeing the sun for long stretches of time. This goes not only for Cleveland but for Buffalo... Detroit ... etc midwest cities. The snow in Cleveland is terrible.

Cleveland does have decent nature and some elevation change. However, it is hard to go outside and enjoy the outdoors after working a full time job and the nightly lows are in the 20s and teens with windchills lower than that.

I think I am mostly deciding between Vegas and DC. The income is roughly the same after taxes and the Vegas job is 20% less hours and stress. Tough decision. Basically comes down to how much I hate cold weather and how much I like nature.
It's not so bad. Winter is a good time to go out and enjoy all the cultural options in Cleveland, like the Orchestra at Severance Hall, the Cleveland Museum of Art with its football field sized glass covered atrium, see a play at Playhouse Square (the 2nd largest theater complex in the country), or see a Cavs game. Just because its cold outside doesn't mean you have to hibernate, you just get the opportunity to get cozy and enjoy the indoor things you might overlook in the summer.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:32 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
Crazy cost of living benefit living in Cleveland, with all big cities amenities (breweries, professional sports, rail public transportation, classical music, broadway theater, festivals, museums, body of water / national park, affordable culinary scene with guys like Michael Symon).

The amount of money poured into the city in the last 3 years has been insane...$5-$7 billion?

It does get cloudy though... Personally I enjoy having four very distinct seasons... Fall here is pristine.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:16 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,803 times
My vote is also for Cleveland. Most bang for your buck.

You could live at a place like this in the heart of Downtown Cleveland...where NFL/NBA players have pads, full service grocery store, rooftop bars/underground bank vault bar, movie theater/comedy club, apartments up to 28 floors...all in the same complex.

Party like it's 1929: Opening of stunning bar in the vaults of Cleveland Trust rotunda part of a wave of banks being reborn as bars, eateries (photo gallery) | cleveland.com

The 9 - All Ways Iconic

Walking distance and blocks away from...Playhouse Square, three stadiums, Michael Symon and 40+ restaurants, train station, House of Blue concerts, 24-hour gyms, etc...basically city amenities for cheap.

Last edited by usaf_1832; 10-24-2014 at 12:33 PM..

Old 10-25-2014, 03:58 PM

211 posts, read 299,316 times
Which place do you think has better asian food? i.e. Chinese, Korean, Japanese... Vietnamese?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City