Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:40 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,353,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas_Cabbie View Post
Fair enough -- but how would we determine what qualifies as a "major city" ... I guess that is where I was attempting to go.
I believe it was Deluusions who bashed Vegas because it is tourism opposed to DC being a Governmental Powerhouse... I dont see how it matters HOW a city draws in people, just that it does.
I never bashed Vegas.....I said each city has its pros and cons....You can even go back and read what I said. Know what you're talking about before you pick an argument with people. I listed the advanatages and disadvantages of each city. Never bashed them, on the other hand you bashed DC and Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 01:57 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,366,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
That cul-de-sac and neighborhood still looks dead, underdeveloped, and still less green than the D.C. ones I posted.

Quote:
Not to mention he cherry picked the worst pictures imaginable... That's not a difficult thing to accomplish.
Instead of the shopping area he showed, perhaps we could find a picture of downtown Summerlin's brand new redesign.
Those pictures are from Summerlin (which is supposed to be one of LV's premier nabes) and that is how the majority of Summerlin looks like. There is nothing much to see there except Downtown Summerlin (which does look great), but DT Summerlin is pretty much like the shopping area in Friendship Village.

Quote:
Still can't get over the lack of greenery in the picture he posted. All brick and concrete...

Summerlin ALONE has over 150 parks and 150 miles of trails.
Like I said, that picture of "brick and concrete" happens to have more greenery and tree cover than the Las Vegas picture of rocks and concrete.

I'll try to make it easier for LV by posting a "greener" Las Vegas (in Summerlin) picture and compare it to a dense neighborhood of row homes in the core of D.C.

Las Vegas

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Summe...2,,0,7.56&z=14

D.C.
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.9...,,0,-1.53&z=15

That block in D.C.'s center has more greenery than that Las Vegas block in suburban Summerlin. D.C. also has more tree cover. And when there is a lack of greenery in a D.C. neighborhood, it's going to be the top-notch architecture that stands out.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:18 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,627,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
That cul-de-sac and neighborhood still looks dead, underdeveloped, and still less green than the D.C. ones I posted.

Those pictures are from Summerlin (which is supposed to be one of LV's premier nabes) and that is how the majority of Summerlin looks like. There is nothing much to see there except Downtown Summerlin (which does look great), but DT Summerlin is pretty much like the shopping area in Friendship Village.

Like I said, that picture of "brick and concrete" happens to have more greenery and tree cover than the Las Vegas picture of rocks and concrete.

I'll try to make it easier for LV by posting a "greener" Las Vegas (in Summerlin) picture and compare it to a dense neighborhood of row homes in the core of D.C.

Las Vegas

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Summe...2,,0,7.56&z=14

D.C.
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.9...,,0,-1.53&z=15

That block in D.C.'s center has more greenery than that Las Vegas block in suburban Summerlin. D.C. also has more tree cover. And when there is a lack of greenery in a D.C. neighborhood, it's going to be the top-notch architecture that stands out.
One question... How much does a 3 bedroom 3 bath, fully updated (since Summerlin homes are new and need no updates) home in that area cost?

Summerlin: 200k.
How about the DC neighborhood?

Old 10-22-2014, 02:58 PM

211 posts, read 299,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
40+ years on or near Lake Michigan shore.

I know literally dozens of people in Milwaukee who ride their bikes year round. GTFO with your uninformed idiocy. People are very active outside in Milwaukee, in Chicago, in Minneapolis, in Boston, in NYC, and so on year-round, including the middle of the winter.
I don't know about you but from December to March people aren't that active in Michigan on the lake front. Obviously there are always SOME exceptions.

I don't know many people who ride their bikes in the winter time in Metro Detroit where I am from. Most of the roads are iced up and dangerous to ride on.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:06 PM

211 posts, read 299,513 times
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

We are really really tired of the snow and cold here in Ohio. DC is significantly warmer than the upper midwest but there is still a decent threat of snow. I think I would rather take 110 vs 20 or 30 in the winter. At least after work you can somewhat enjoy the outdoors.

I also realize that Vegas is probably not the best environment for kids. This may be a long term concern as we do not have kids and will not have kids for probably the next 3-5 years or so.

DC is obviously better for "city life" but Vegas has more natural beauty and mountains. Both cities have some nice destinations that are close by ie. NYC PHL BOS for DC and SD and LA for Vegas.

The cost of living is not even close. DC is one of the most expensive areas in the US. Even though I will be making more money with taxes and cost of living adjustments I will actually save more in Vegas.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:04 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,627,399 times
Honestly, you'll be glad you came out here.
The town is definitely different, no doubt... but you'll never be bored and there are some amazing houses to claim.

All cities mentioned have really nice things about them - but if you don't dump your paycheck on the Blackjack table, you've got a great shot and putting away serious money living in LV.

Have fun in the search!

Old 10-22-2014, 05:31 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,366,554 times
Quote:
One question... How much does a 3 bedroom 3 bath, fully updated (since Summerlin homes are new and need no updates) home in that area cost?

Summerlin: 200k.
How about the DC neighborhood?
I look on realtor.com for Summerlin homes and it seems that the price for 3bd/3ba homes depends on areas within Summerlin. Some homes have sold for as low as 150k - 200k. Others have sold for in the high 200s and high 300s. The few in the 500s - 700s look like they're in private gated communities.

As for those D.C. neighborhoods, I would guess prices would be more.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I look on realtor.com for Summerlin homes and it seems that the price for 3bd/3ba homes depends on areas within Summerlin. Some homes have sold for as low as 150k - 200k. Others have sold for in the high 200s and high 300s. The few in the 500s - 700s look like they're in private gated communities.

As for those D.C. neighborhoods, I would guess prices would be more.
I quess you would think that. How much more. Would they get to a million dollars? More than that?

What is a nice row house in good Washington worth...I bet you know...

Old 10-23-2014, 06:43 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,353,220 times
A nice nice row home can range from 700k-10 million (certain areas in kalorama, georgetown, etc) although the ones in the millions are the luxury ones. I believe they could go higher than that but those type of row homes are barley on the market. Yes, DC is super expensive and can't compete with Las Vegas when it comes to COL.

Last edited by Deluusions; 10-23-2014 at 07:18 AM..

Old 10-23-2014, 10:12 AM

133 posts, read 192,517 times
I just moved to Cleveland after living in DC for seven years. I would never live in Vegas (and only have been there once) mainly because I don't like the desert environment and I think it lacks any kind of traditional city character (i.e. downtown, walkable neighborhoods, parks, etc).

DC is obviously a much better city than Cleveland. The economy is much better, the weather is better, the architecture is better, there is more to do, more neighborhoods are intact, and public transportation is better.

BUT, there are a few reasons why I chose to move to Cleveland. You get much more bang for your buck here. It's amazing how much lower housing prices are here. You can do most of the same things here as you can in DC, but there just aren't as many options. We have great neighborhoods, with great bars/restaurants, and also lots of great outdoor activities.

The best thing about being here is that there is a better community and the people are better and more down to earth. We have a pride in the city that doesn't always exist in DC. People tend to be in Cleveland more long term than in the DC area, and while that may be a bit hard adjusting to if you're a newcomer, we still are a very friendly people and generally quite welcoming.

I say choose Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City