Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Austin, Texas 57 25.22%
Seattle, Washington 152 67.26%
I like both equally 17 7.52%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 03:49 PM

207 posts, read 345,416 times

Advertisements

Makes sense...

And yeah you basically did. You said they aren't even remotely close to Seattle or even relevant ..
What does Seattle have that NO Texas city can come close to according to you? And don't use the stupid mountains bs because I could careless.. We can play the whole cool mountains game and then respond with how Seattle has 9 months of grey and rain..

From a city standpoint what is Seattle so much better at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 03:58 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by north2south. View Post
Makes sense...

And yeah you basically did. You said they aren't even remotely close to Seattle or even relevant ..
What does Seattle have that NO Texas city can come close to according to you? And don't use the stupid mountains bs because I could careless.. We can play the whole cool mountains game and then respond with how Seattle has 9 months of grey and rain..

No I did not state nor basically state what you think I did. I stated, I'm just not buying into Austin being on the same level or even close to the same level as Seattle. Nor am I buying that Austin and some other Texas cities are somehow better or relevant because they have higher growth rates. How does this equate to no Texas city is remotely close to Seattle?

BTW, I realize both Houston and Dallas are a tier or two above Seattle, which means those two obviously excel in certain areas over Seattle. They aren't above Seattle, however, due to their growth rates. Austin and San Antonio both fall below Seattle, which shouldn't be news to anyone, including you.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:29 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
Quote:

Space Needle with a revolving restaurant on top Space Needle - Seattle Landmark and Tourist Attraction

Ferries to Bremerton, Bainbridge Island, Vashon Island, West Seattle (beaches), Victoria, BC (Canada), San Juan Islands, etc. WSDOT - Ferries

Argosy Cruises that takes you on tours of the Seattle harbor, floating homes in Lake Union (Sleepless in Seattle) Argosy Cruises - Seattle Sightseeing Tours, Dining Cruises & Events
through the Ballard Locks Hiram M. Chittenden Locks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SEATTLE - BALLARD LOCKS (Hiram Chittenden Locks) - The Ship Canal - YouTube

and even Christmas Ships Seattle Christmas Ship Festival Schedule - Argosy Cruises

Underground Tour (Seattle was rebuilt after a fire in 1889, raising the city up one story, parts of the old city remain untouched) UNDERGROUND TOUR, Seattle Underground - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lake Union Lake Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pike Place Market Pike Place Market

Seattle Ducks Ride The Ducks of Seattle | It's a party on wheels and in the water!

Skiing within an hour Summit at Snoqualmie and also Snoqualmie Falls

Seahawks! Seahawks.com | Seattle Seahawks Home | Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII

Sounders! Seattle Sounders FC

There's a lot more including large companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Google, etc.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ech-boom/?_r=0

Census: Seattle is the fastest-growing big city in the U.S. | FYI Guy | Seattle Times

Last edited by Seacove; 01-03-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 04:33 PM

Seacove,

I mean that's great and I don't doubt Seattle being a great city, but what you just posted an be done for Austin too.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Seacove,

I mean that's great and I don't doubt Seattle being a great city, but what you just posted an be done for Austin too.
Seattle will always be better IMO. Not even remotely close. Better than Dallas, Houston and Austin combined. But you asked what makes Seattle great so I gave you a few things. I've traveled all over the country as a part of my job including Texas - Seattle wins with parts of Northern California right after.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:58 PM

I like that last Amarillo comment.. Kinda says something about ya

However, okay that's cool. I'm not worried about changing anyone's mind. Don't care too. I'm just interested in the conversation. You've listed some general entertainment things Seattle offers- cool. I could do the same but I'll save my fingers the typing.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I like that last Amarillo comment.. Kinda says something about ya

However, okay that's cool. I'm not worried about changing anyone's mind. Don't care too. I'm just interested in the conversation. You've listed some general entertainment things Seattle offers- cool. I could do the same but I'll save my fingers the typing.
I admit, I don't like Texas but it's not like I'm unfamiliar. My parents were both born there and there's family still there. But objectively, it's no contest, I mean, Texas has man made lakes, I've been in the them and the water is brown.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:26 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Seattle will always be better IMO. Not even remotely close. Better than Dallas, Houston and Austin combined. But you asked what makes Seattle great so I gave you a few things. I've traveled all over the country as a part of my job including Texas - Seattle wins with parts of Northern California right after.
You should take your bias shades off.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
You should take your bias shades off.
Prove me wrong. What's so great about Austin? Austin benefits from being in what Texans generously call Hill Country but it doesn't compare to a genuinely beautiful city.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:45 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Quote:
Makes sense...

LOL, now you're making me laugh and showing that you're missing the general point.

You can't separate the mountains or the Ocean for that matter. There will always be a percentage of the population that needs to live by natural beauty and will subordinate many other aspects of lives in order to make that happen. Asking them to dismiss this is the equivalent of trying to talk someone out of their religion.

That doesn't mean Austin isn't a great city, it just will never be acceptable to the subgroup I've described.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City