Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Austin, Texas 57 25.22%
Seattle, Washington 152 67.26%
I like both equally 17 7.52%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:45 PM

515 posts, read 557,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I sense some reverse racism.

"Seattle is made up mostly by Caucasians; therefore, Seattle is culturally bland." I'm sure you would never say such a statement about a city with a similar percentage of African-American residents because you'd be fearful of being called a racist. Oh, but because you're talking about white folk, it's a-okay to be racist and prejudiced.
Reverse racism??? I am WHITE. You act as if diversity is a bad thing. My point is, even though this is a C-D forum where tx gets no love, Seattle doesn't trump Austin in all things under the sun. I give Seattle lots of credit where it is due, but it isn't a utopia that the world aspires to be. Believe me, neither is Austin, and I'll admit to where it falls short.
I can see the Texas cities get bashed on here so bad that we can't even bring up anything positive without something negative pointed out.
Like I said, Seattle is a fun and great city, but you can't win at everything....except, I do hope the Seahawks win the superbowl....Russell Wilson is a class act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 02:17 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Reverse racism??? I am WHITE. You act as if diversity is a bad thing. My point is, even though this is a C-D forum where tx gets no love, Seattle doesn't trump Austin in all things under the sun. I give Seattle lots of credit where it is due, but it isn't a utopia that the world aspires to be. Believe me, neither is Austin, and I'll admit to where it falls short.
I can see the Texas cities get bashed on here so bad that we can't even bring up anything positive without something negative pointed out.
Like I said, Seattle is a fun and great city, but you can't win at everything....except, I do hope the Seahawks win the superbowl....Russell Wilson is a class act.
Yeah Texas cities get bashed so much on cd it's laughable. Someone a while ago bashed Houston for having a openly lesbian mayor. Someone also bashed Austin for having midgets.

Last edited by mrfoe; 01-06-2015 at 02:27 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,114 times
Default What Persecution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Yeah Texas cities get bashed so much on cd it's laughable. Someone a while ago bashed Houston for having a openly lesbian mayor. Someone also bashed Austin for having midgets.
I'm not buying the "Texas doesn't get any love" argument. So please give it a break.
Texas cities get defended and promoted as much as any other city on CD.

It's the same thing on every other CD comparison. I grant you there are always a few bashers, like the one mentioned about the Houston mayor.
But the bashers are on every other city forum, venting some personal irrational grudge about the city in question. Not just Texas cites.

If someone knows a forum where the city doesn't get bashed once in a while - let me know.

You don't want to be the basketball player that always cries foul.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:39 PM

Wow! You're right...I'm surprised there isn't an Anti-Texas forum on here yet.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
And the Austin area is suppose to be some mecca of diversity?

Ten largest ethnic minority groups as of 2011 (data is for ethnic, tribe or racial group alone (not mixed) with the exception of Hispanic or Latino groups which can be of mixed race (e.g., Mestizo).

Seattle, WA CSA
1 Mexican: 266,124
2 Black or African American alone: 208,518
3 Filipino alone: 81,537
4 Chinese (except Taiwanese) alone: 77,031
5 Vietnamese alone: 58,452
6 Korean alone: 56,160
7 Asian Indian or East Indian alone: 54,320
8 Japanese alone: 29,908
9 Puerto Rican: 20,364
10 Spaniard or Spanish: 18,332

Austin, TX CSA
1 Mexican: 457,700
2 Black or African American alone: 128,163
3 Asian Indian or East Indian alone: 23,683
4 Chinese (except Taiwanese) alone: 14,962
5 Vietnamese alone: 14,478
6 Spaniard or Spanish: 10,149
7 Puerto Rican: 9,605
8 Korean alone: 8,218
9 Salvadoran: 6,231
10 Honduran: 6,110
Ok....Its a little more diverse than it seems, there are some pockets of diverse cultures. And no, Austin is no mecca in diversity, in fact its the least of the large Texas cities. But if you throw in Tacoma, you might as well add San Antonio in with Austin. And that would be a whole different story. Also, Austin is made up of folks from all over, including the PNW.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:10 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,351 times
Seattle vs Dallas would be a better comparison.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:10 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I sense some reverse racism.

"Seattle is made up mostly by Caucasians; therefore, Seattle is culturally bland." I'm sure you would never say such a statement about a city with a similar percentage of African-American residents because you'd be fearful of being called a racist. Oh, but because you're talking about white folk, it's a-okay to be racist and prejudiced.
That's an interesting point- and it's worth pointing out that "whites" are often an amalgamation of many different backgrounds and regions. But it's also worth mentioning that ethnicity alone doesn't determine whether a place is boring or exciting. Having just moved to WA, one of the observations that my wife and I have is that there are a lot of different interests represented in Seattle. People are in to anything and everything, and if you're into any obscure hobby, there's probable a subculture that is, too. Ultimately, you could have a city filled with all colors of the rainbow, but when the culture seems to share homogenous interests and a repressive culture, it doesn't seem all that diverse. Not that everyone in Austin is into the same thing, but I feel like it scores a ton of points for being an anomaly in a red state. Compared to Dallas and Houston it seems funky, but outside of relatively small pockets it's much more of a traditional medium-sized American metropolitan area than people want to admit. It's a cool place, but Seattle is a much more cosmopolitan, vibrant city. If you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited by bartonizer; 01-06-2015 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 05:14 PM

591 posts, read 819,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Seattle vs Dallas would be a better comparison.
Meh.. not really

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...mopolitan.html

Old 01-06-2015, 08:10 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
Ok....Its a little more diverse than it seems, there are some pockets of diverse cultures. And no, Austin is no mecca in diversity, in fact its the least of the large Texas cities. But if you throw in Tacoma, you might as well add San Antonio in with Austin. And that would be a whole different story. Also, Austin is made up of folks from all over, including the PNW.
What? Seattle is also made up of folks from all over. According to the 2013 ACS estimates, the Seattle area had a foreign born population of over 629,000; Austin's was at roughly 280,000. BTW, Tacoma is just over 30 miles from Seattle whereas San Antonio is about 80 from Austin. Furthermore, Tacoma is part of the Seattle MSA - San Antonio and Austin are two separate MSAs.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:30 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
I think we should let it go. Seattle is the clear winner here, but it's all good. Texas still has alot to offer even if our cities aren't as dense or cosmopolitan as other large cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City