Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham, which region is more southern?
Atlanta 48 45.28%
Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham 58 54.72%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:21 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Maybe some of the outer suburbs in the metro, but I doubt counties like Cobb, Gwinnett, and DeKalb are too different. Only my opinion, though.
As a resident Atlanta, I say your opinion is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 12:36 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I think all three metros have had such a large influx of non-southerners over the last 30-50 years to the point where the true, Deep South culture, as you would find in Charleston, Savannah, Macon, or Montgomery just doesn't exist in most parts of Metro Atlanta, Metro Charlotte, or the Triangle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Even Charleston's Deep South culture is being diluted with the constant influx of non-Southern transplants and thus it's a bit different than Macon and Montgomery which are pretty stagnant in terms of population growth.
Savannah isn't far behind Charleston when it comes to being diluted with transplants. Or Hilton Head.. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more transplants than locals there.

Quote:
Maybe some of the outer suburbs in the metro, but I doubt counties like Cobb, Gwinnett, and DeKalb are too different. Only my opinion, though.
Agreed. At this point, you'd have to go further out. Barrow to the east, Lumpkin to the north, Carroll to the west..which is literally on the Alabama border, and Spalding to the south... those counties are far enough out to get a feel for a more traditional south.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:34 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
Is it true suburban sprawl has spread all the way to Athens from Atlanta? Or are there some rural areas in between? Many of those North Georgia counties are becoming very suburban, for better or for worse.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:34 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Savannah isn't far behind Charleston when it comes to being diluted with transplants. Or Hilton Head.. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more transplants than locals there.
Hilton Head is another beast entirely. Sheesh...

Truthfully, the Southern Atlantic coast from Wilmington on down is being overrun by transplants with a few exceptions here and there.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:11 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,973,624 times
Quote:
Is it true suburban sprawl has spread all the way to Athens from Atlanta? Or are there some rural areas in between? Many of those North Georgia counties are becoming very suburban, for better or for worse.
Uninterrupted suburban sprawl? Nope, not even close. Uninterrupted stops in northern Gwinnett County.

If you classify suburban sprawl as having gaps here and there, I would say almost.
There are unfinished subdivisions re-starting construction from pre recession times really far out in to Barrow County in the vicinity of Braselton, Hoschton and Winder. That is still about 20 minutes out from Athens, but the western fringes of Athens, in Oconee County are also developing.

There are still rural looking areas between Winder and Bogart, the western fringe of Athens' sprawl.

Quote:
Hilton Head is another beast entirely. Sheesh...

Truthfully, the Southern Atlantic coast from Wilmington on down is being overrun by transplants with a few exceptions here and there.
I think most of the exceptions are rural ones. Walterboro, for example. Or smaller towns like Florence. Unless things have changed since I was last there...

Old 02-28-2015, 04:58 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times
Quote:
That’s interesting in light of this article that came out year before last; I don't recall a similar one having been written for Atlanta or Charlotte: Raleigh has lost its drawl, y’all | Wake County | NewsObserver.com
My younger brother is from Raleigh he's 21 and boy does he sound country. Whenever he's up here in D.C. and I take him places people always ask him where he's from and I remember one time we was in a take out joint and the Chinese lady behind the counter told him he was country. Lol.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:08 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
My younger brother is from Raleigh he's 21 and boy does he sound country. Whenever he's up here in D.C. and I take him places people always ask him where he's from and I remember one time we was in a take out joint and the Chinese lady behind the counter told him he was country. Lol.
This obsession that so many in D.C. have of labeling other folks as 'country' proves that they are actually the most country of all. Acacostia/SE could be the most 'country' urban area that exists anywhere in the U.S.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:21 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is SO true, 80s_kid - especially here on C-D.

Many people just underestimate how international Atlanta actually is, but our leading companies such as Coke, Delta & UPS have global written all over them. Throw in the CDC and non-profits like CARE, and it only increases.

Just as one example, this is the home of the fastest growing Korean community in the U.S. This could be happening anywhere, but it's happening here. There's a reason, and part of it is a very welcoming population and lots of opportunity.

There is an impressive amount of diversity here that goes totally unnoticed or outright ignored by some, due to no other reason than we are in the South. Despite this opinion being extremely uninformed and ignorant, that geographical fact alone causes more than a few to just write us off.

Their loss, but we don't really need/want any more clueless transplants.
I wouldn't judge the US Cities by clueless CD people here, if one thing I have learned from this site is to take everything people say with a grain of salt, its amazing how many people have agendas here which is pretty sad considering this site was made for people to help each other on other cities and places. It is kinda sad how petty and immature people are on here, it doesn't totally surprise me in 2015. I love Atlanta thou.

Old 02-28-2015, 08:59 AM

275 posts, read 416,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I wouldn't judge the US Cities by clueless CD people here, if one thing I have learned from this site is to take everything people say with a grain of salt, its amazing how many people have agendas here which is pretty sad considering this site was made for people to help each other on other cities and places. It is kinda sad how petty and immature people are on here, it doesn't totally surprise me in 2015. I love Atlanta thou.
It would be boring if everybody agreed though.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:55 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,017 times
It's the coast being populated by transplants, definitely not the case further inland. I doubt towns like Florence are receiving transplants/growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City