Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia, more in common with Alabama or North Carolina?
Alabama 146 62.13%
North Carolina 89 37.87%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:42 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And you do know that had nothing to do with my statement, right?

One poster said that Georgia, outside of Atlanta (that's the part you gotta read), is similar to Alabama. And that's true as far as its politics are concerned. Non-Hispanic White voters in Georgia registered some of the lowest support for Obama. And according to the Annenberg National Election Survey, Georgia Republicans are actually MORE conservative than Alabama Republicans. Those are hard facts.

Everybody knows that Atlanta keeps the state from skewing as Republican as it otherwise would. And no, the common retort that "that's true in all states where there's a rural/urban divide" doesn't apply. Pennsylvania, for example, is way more conservative than New York even after removing all of the large urban centers. If Atlanta were smaller, the state would be more like Alabama than NC or SC.
Chill out.
I know what you said but that was why I said what I said,You cant just cherry pick facts and leave out important variables
To answer I will give to that is MILITARY
GA has over 72,000 active duty military members
AL-over 9,000
Georgia has more miltary personal by far than any state in the South accept Texas, North Carolina and of course Virginia.
Im retired military and I will tell you they overwhelmingly vote republican.Every last one of GA large cities have military bases.HUGE ones.
My best friend I grew up with in the Air Force town of Warner Robins is a Colonel in the Army and he talks so bad about Obama and the Democratic Party.
The reason this is such a huge difference is that most active duty military cannot vote in GA politics but can for Presidential.

Military bases in a smaller town make the school system better,raises the quality of life in the areas they are located.
You can look at the stats fpr African AMerican in the counties outside of Atlanta and see while poverty is higher in both states,it is less in more places for African Americans in GA than AL.

The majority of blacks in Georgia live in South Georgia.All of Georgia's cities are majority AfricanAmerican accept some of those in the North and Atlanta Region

You only focus on National politics but look at state politics.
You act like there are no blacks outside of Atlanta in other major GA cities.
NC has more college and universities which dilute the affect of it military.Why do you think its state politics is so similar to GA?
Oh you dont which is so unusual for most people who live in the South and know better.

Again so if NC did have Charlotte and Raleigh would it stll not be like GA?

These are some of the major differences that some of you act like dont make a difference and dont exist but if you have spent anytime outside of Atlanta and in Alabama,its just too evident that though there are definite similarites,they are not as much alike as GA is to NC.
So you can put facts all you want but that hardly is the whole story.

Last edited by afonega1; 03-29-2015 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
No part of Georgia actually touches the Gulf but I'd say the feel and influence is definitely there in SWGA. Albany is closer to the Gulf than it is the Atlantic.
I dont think that the Atlantic influences the whole state at all.Neither does the gulf influence Albany

Old 03-29-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't know why someone would respond with stats that include Atlanta when the statement made clearly addressed Georgia outside of Atlanta. Despite metro Atlanta being as large as it is, and the state having a larger AA makeup than both AL and SC, Georgia voted basically the same as SC in the last two elections. It is a conservative state more in the mold of Alabama than North Carolina.

I mean, when you go back and look at the states in the South with the most conservative Republicans, should it come as much of a surprise that those same states had the most lynchings? Coincidence?
Lynchings?
NC and GA are often alighned together because during the civil rights era there was not bombings of churches like in AL killing 4 black girls at a church,violent attacks on a bridge (Selma)with dogs and police )henchmen,bus boycotts ,a rabid Governor on national TV pronouncing "segregation now and forever" on the steps of a state university alongside the national guard and state police.

Why do you think MLK even moved to AL?They even had a campain just for Birmingham.Otherwise know as "Bombingham"
Birmingham campaign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even in NC there was the national lunch counter protest in Durham.Remember Jessie Helms?
What politican from Georgia was as polarizing as he?

Instead we had Jimmy Carter as governor.He appointed more blacks to office than any Governor combined before him when he was Governer and also when he was president.
Atlanta was no where near then what is now.

Before that we had Ernest Vandiver :
Quote:
" Despite his past support for segregation, Governor Vandiver did not resist the court order. He hence spared the University of Georgia from the national publicity associated with the opposition stands taken in 1962 by Governor Ross Barnett at the University of Mississippi and in 1963 Governor George C. Wallace at the University of Alabama. After the desegregation of the University of Georgia, Vandiver successfully urged the Georgia General Assembly to repeal a recently passed law barring state funding to integrated schools. He also appointed banker John A. Sibley to head a state commission designed to prepare for the court-ordered school desegregation."
Before him was Carl Sanders:
Quote:
As governor, Sanders worked to improve education and the environment and led the transition toward racial desegregation, cooperating with U.S. Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson on complying with civil rights laws.
We had only one segregationist type Governor (as all Southern states have had ,some even more)Lester Maddox and he was even not willing to buck the federal government.

So if you actually knew this history of the state like many that follow Southern politics,NC and GA are always paired together for these reason even still today.
Especially because state politics has NEVER been driven by Atlanta.
How do you ignore the fact that in a Republican state we still have had democratic high level state cabinet and judicial members and AL has not?
GA white republican voters also voted for the attorney General and Sec of Labour,and Chief Justice.Not to mention the sizeable black community outside of Atlanta.Dems cannot win in elected office in GA without some moderate republicans.

That is what I think is pointless.Atlanta brings money that is spent state wide.Money for roads,its shapes the culture for the rest of the state .

That effect is evident in the rest of the state.It makes no sense to say "without Atlanta" because then it wuld not be GA as it is today without Atlanta influence which is felt ALL over the state.
How do YOU knw Savannah or Macon would not have morphed into what is Atlanta if Atlanta was not here?Its silly to suggest that things stay the same f you remove 30-40% of the states population and influence.

Would Birmingham be the same today if it had gotten the Airport?Would Mobile,Montgomery,Huntsville exist?

Savannah has a far larger port than Mobile and has a storied history of National importance.No doubt it would be more than what it is as it s growing.

Last edited by afonega1; 03-29-2015 at 02:30 PM..

Old 03-29-2015, 02:03 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The poverty level alone is just ne reason GA is on another level,Just the facts.

The infrastructure in Alabama is ridiculous compared to GA.Alabama roads and bridges are in terrible shape.
GA has always been known for the upkeep of its roads.
There are no levels of poverty and poverty in Alabama no worse than poverty in Georgia. What kind of statement is that?

Now GA has better roads and bridges? LMAO.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:16 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,877,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I dont have anything against AL.I have met some great people from there BUT if we are compairing them to the other states,progress has been noticeably slower for backs in Alabama.

Of course AL and GA and the rest of te South have strong similarietoes to each other.Especially those closest t easch other but in this thread,GA factually is more politically inline with NC than AL and has been for decades.
Simple question. What can a black person in Georgia can do that a black person in Alabama cant? Since according to you we are still picking cotton on a plantation.

Politically NC and Georgia are nowhere close. When was the last time Georgians elected a democratic gov, U.S senator? When was the last time the state legislature wasn't controlled by the GOP?. NC has been more progressive than both Alabama and Georgia in the last 50 years.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:27 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Politically NC and Georgia are nowhere close. When was the last time Georgians elected a democratic gov, U.S senator? When was the last time the state legislature wasn't controlled by the GOP?. NC has been more progressive than both Alabama and Georgia in the last 50 years.
You do know that GOP control of Southern states is a relatively new phenomenon, right?

Old 03-29-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
There are no levels of poverty and poverty in Alabama no worse than poverty in Georgia. What kind of statement is that?

Now GA has better roads and bridges? LMAO.
From Infrastucture Report on States:

GA:
ROADS
Georgia has 125,523 miles of public roads.
Georgia has 15,532 miles of major roads, 5% of which are in poor condition.
Driving on roads in need of repair costs Georgia motorists $1.7 million a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $260.2 per motorist.

BRIDGES
835 of the 14,769 bridges in Georgia (5.6%) are considered structurally deficient.
1,765 of the 14,769 bridges in Georgia (11.9%) are considered functionally obsolete.
Georgia received $56.9 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.

AL
ROADS
Alabama has 101,811 miles of public roads.
Alabama has 10,401 miles of major roads, 6% of which are in poor condition.
Driving on roads in need of repair costs Alabama motorists $1.23 billion a year in extra vehicle repairs and operating costs – $321.42 per motorist.

BRIDGES
1,405 of the 16,078 bridges in Alabama (8.7%) are considered structurally deficient.
2,203 of the 16,078 bridges in Alabama (13.7%) are considered functionally obsolete.
Alabama received $62.8 million from the Federal Highway Bridge Fund in FY2011.

Still LYAO?I know Im LMAO

Old 03-29-2015, 02:42 PM

5,001 posts, read 9,149,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
This is a lie...You can compare (sans Atlanta GA) to Alabama and South Carolina but it's definitely not the same.
Lie ? Ha lol....Yeah what ever.Look Ga is a nice state and so is Alabama and yes Ga has progressed more than Alabama but as for cultural ties outside Of the Gulf and over all feel they are the same ,in so many ways outside of bridges and progressive blacks.

And the infrastructural stats is not an outlier honestly.We can debate back and fourth night and day and we will never know what Ga would have been if Atlanta was in Alabama or Mississippi.

What I do believe and is that if Atlanta was never born in Georgia.Ga would be the same size as Mississippi and or Atlanta.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:45 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
I view North Carolina as the premier state of the the Southeast (NC, GA, SC, TN, KY, AL, MS).

Only two things it really lacks is:

1. A big city (and this isn't a problem, I believe Charlotte will grow into a 4-5 million metropolis by mid-century)

2. Active nightlife (for whatever reason I draw a complete blank when I think of the nightlife in North Carolina's cities)

North Carolina has arguably the prettiest topography in the Southeast, with a massive and beautiful coastline in the Outer Banks, the Appalachians in the western portion of the state.

The biggest advantage is in its collection of cities. Charlotte is a business hub and a logistics hub, at one time it had the highest per capita income in the country (about 10 years ago) and was a very productive banking center (still probably is). Raleigh is a beast with the academic institutions, especially University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill and Duke University (especially the latter). Asheville is quite possibly the prettiest mountain town in the entire Eastern United States that I know of.

The state has three major metropolitan areas in Greater Charlotte, Research Triangle, and the Triad and all of them are a minimum of 1.6 million people or larger.

Frankly, I don't think GA can compete with that. It is too one city centric of a state and Savannah is still too small to be a powerhouse of any sort, it is more comparable to South Carolina's Charleston than to major economic and academic centers like the Research Triangle or Charlotte.

So I went with Alabama. Georgia actually borders Alabama for quite a long stretch, the seat of GA's government, which is Atlanta is only 140 miles away from Birmingham. The two states even were "one state" at one point I believe in history.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 03-29-2015 at 02:59 PM..

Old 03-29-2015, 02:45 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,160 times
North Carolina is more so purple, partly due to many transplants residing in the major metros. However, it's starting to lean more conservative. After all, Tillis defeated Hagan. We also had Jesse Helms for a thousand years, who was just as bad if not worse than politicians like Lester Maddox or Strom Thurmond.

^And Georgia actually borders North Carolina, but everyone forgets since the border is so tiny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City