Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DMV metro area or LA metro area?
DMV - 5.8 mil 30 32.26%
LA - 9.8 mil 63 67.74%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:33 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times

Advertisements

2 completely different regions. "Better" would be based on individual preferences. They both have different major economic industries (DC's dominated by the federal gov't); different climates (4 seasons- DC; more moderate year-round weather- LA); and geographic and cultural differences (east coast vs. west coast).

Both are great for what they are. They are so different from one another, that individual preferences would guide which region would be better for a given individual, along with family considerations, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 12:00 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
DMV does NOT have better universities than LA.
Georgetown
Univ of MD
George Washington University
American University
George Mason U
Howard University
Catholic University
UMUC
and more

Schools in the CSA region

U.S. Naval Academy
UMBC
Johns Hopkins
Loyola MD
Univ of MD Medical
Univ of Baltimore
and more

Old 04-18-2015, 01:36 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,472,472 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Demographia Urban Area Population and World Rank (2010 census)
18. Los Angeles - 2432 sq miles, 14.7 million, 6300ppsm
37. Chicago - 2647 sq miles, 9.02 million, 3400ppsm
77. Washington DC - 1322 sq miles, 4.9 million, 3500ppsm

Even if you combined Chicago and DC, you still wouldn't match the population of LA, much less the density. LA sure is "desolate", huh?
that's just LA County and OC

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2015 at 06:47 AM..

Old 04-18-2015, 05:45 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
LA CSA is 18.5 million in 34,000 sq mi. By far the largest sprawling metro region in the country, maybe in the hemisphere.

Greater Los Angeles Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's larger than countries like, Austria, Czech Republic, and Serbia.
Jesus Christ, how many times does it need to be pointed out that of those 34k square miles, the vast majority are empty desert in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties. CSA is measured by counties, so the entire empty desert all the way to the NV/AZ border is in LA's CSA.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:22 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
DMV does NOT have better universities than LA.

Agree. UCLA alone. Then add USC, Cal Tech, Pepperdine, Cal Poly, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, Claremont, Harvey Mudd, Loyola Marymount, all the Cal States and other private colleges.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
LA pretty much does a solid whooooooop ass on DC in most categories especially in the category of very attractive people.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by registeredtosay View Post
fairfax county (pop 1.2 million) has a higher population density than la county, and doesn't even touch dc. The original square of dc exceeds 1 million and 10k population density. Dc itself is higher. There is nowhere in la that feels more urban than dc.

The la metro are a series of town centers (much like nova) surrounded by never-ending suburbs, but la has no real city center. Sure, the us-bank building is tall and there's a few skyscrapers close by, but that does not make a city. As a frequent traveler and inhabitant of both cities, i view la as a never-ending fairfax county.

Population wise and in terms of desirable weather, la kills nova and the "dmv". In terms of a "real city" there's no contest, the dc metro is the clear winner.

I live in alexandria city (a former part of dc) and can walk to a couple hundred restaurants, bars, shops etc. I can also walk to multiple subway stops or take an amtrak to basically anywhere in the country. I live in a highrise and am surrounded by about 15k population density. This is considered a "suburb". As much as i like la and california cities, only sf can even begin to compete with east coast cities in terms of being an actual city.

I really wish there were more options than sf to live in a real city on the west coast....
What is truly insane is you believe this.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredToSay View Post
Shove some contradictory facts in my face that prove me wrong.

edit: why are you allowed to advertise your business here? I like how so many californians just pretend to contribute to the economy with stupid businesses like the one that Scotto linked.
I am a part time Californian, Jackssurfboards is not my personal biz, I am in real estate investment. Thanks for playing skippy, if it sounds like I am being completely dismissive that's because I am.

Last edited by Scott5280; 04-18-2015 at 11:47 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 PM

371 posts, read 425,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
agree. Ucla alone. Then add usc, cal tech, pepperdine, cal poly, uc irvine, uc riverside, claremont, harvey mudd, loyola marymount, all the cal states and other private colleges.
All those colleges are teir 2 or below besides the first 6 you listed. And if you look at the sat scores to get in to those schools versus the east coast schools, the east coast kills west coast schools.

I'm going to get bashed for this, but I'm just going to come out and say it: At least people on the east coast can think for themselves and aren't media machines. The average Californian is not that smart, I'm sorry to admit it. You can tell by the way they speak, "where it's at" "where it's at". If I hear "where it's at" one more time... For god sakes, they have 5 periods a day in high school for studies and their 6, 7 periods can be used to play a sport. This is unheard of in Maryland. Note I said average, so before you all go "wawawa" please consider the average Californian. Meaning the girl at the grocery store, or the aspiring actor from LA, or him or her. Everywhere.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredToSay View Post
Fairfax county (pop 1.2 million) has a higher population density than LA County, and doesn't even touch DC. The original square of DC exceeds 1 million and 10K population density. DC itself is higher. There is nowhere in LA that feels more urban than DC.

The LA metro are a series of town centers (much like NOVA) surrounded by never-ending suburbs, but LA has no real City Center. Sure, the US-Bank building is tall and there's a few skyscrapers close by, but that does not make a city. As a frequent traveler and inhabitant of both cities, I view LA as a never-ending fairfax county.

Population wise and in terms of desirable weather, LA kills NoVa and the "DMV". In terms of a "real city" there's no contest, the DC metro is the clear winner.

I live in Alexandria City (a former part of DC) and can walk to a couple hundred restaurants, bars, shops etc. I can also walk to multiple subway stops or take an amtrak to basically anywhere in the country. I live in a highrise and am surrounded by about 15K population density. This is considered a "suburb". As much as I like LA and California cities, only SF can even begin to compete with East Coast cities in terms of being an actual city.

I really wish there were more options than SF to live in a real city on the west coast....
And again, the vast majority of LA County is undeveloped. Fairfax County is like 1/3 the density of the LA urban area.

Btw I live in a 15k ppsm tract in an LA suburb that is just as walkable as Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City