Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 03:23 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
There are a lot of blacks in NY; especially downstate. I find that they aren't as wide spread statewide as in the south however. I wonder why that is.
Well Blacks are spread throughout most Southern states as a legacy of slavery. During the Great Migration, Blacks moved from the South to the urban North in search of work and there wasn't as much work to be found outside of the major urban areas of New York and other Northern and Western states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 02:49 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,894 times
Georgia is Black from Metroplitan Atlanta down.

Above Atlanta is white as snow.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:10 AM

373 posts, read 367,765 times
I was expecting Alaska to join the NE and Plain states for least amount of black people.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:44 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Tennessee just edges out Florida and NY for the 10 spot.
I've read where Florida by raw numbers is in the top 3 with about 3.3 million blacks which was more than even Texas. Some points to make Florida does have a very large population of blacks who aren't African-Americans too.
At one point Florida's population during the 1870's was almost half-black at 48.8% of the population at the time and I wonder if that had to do with Spain previously and freeing Southern slaves if they converted to Catholicism at the time.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...can_population

Last edited by Bobdreamz; 10-19-2015 at 06:08 AM..

Old 10-19-2015, 06:24 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Florida is now behind both New York and Texas per census estimates.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:32 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Georgia is Black from Metroplitan Atlanta down.

Above Atlanta is white as snow.
Same as with Alabama and Birmingham to an extent; south of Birmingham is black or mostly black, and north of Birmingham, between it and Huntsville, is white as snow.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:57 AM

93,233 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgem View Post
I was expecting Alaska to join the NE and Plain states for least amount of black people.
Actually, Anchorage and Fairbanks have a big military presence. This helps to being Black people to Alaska. Fairbanks has had a mayor that is Black and a few NBA players have come from Alaska(Mario Chalmers, Carlos Boozer and Trajan Langdon).

Old 10-19-2015, 08:08 AM

93,233 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Well Blacks are spread throughout most Southern states as a legacy of slavery. During the Great Migration, Blacks moved from the South to the urban North in search of work and there wasn't as much work to be found outside of the major urban areas of New York and other Northern and Western states.
^This.....NY is unique in that there is a legacy of slavery in the state in which most of it occurred Downstate and in the Hudson and Mohawk River valleys. NY had a higher Black percentage in 1790 and into the early part of the 1800's than it did in 1940. Granted, the percentage wasn't on par with Southern states though. What happened is that NY is a big immigrant state and in turn, brought the Black percentage down until it grew again around WW2.

It is also unique in that its major cities with the highest Black percentages are actually Upstate, where Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany are all in the 30-45% Black range. That is pretty rare for states outside of the South. I think PA(Harrisburg is about 55% Black) and maybe a couple of others are like this.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
It is also unique in that its major cities with the highest Black percentages are actually Upstate, where Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany are all in the 30-45% Black range. That is pretty rare for states outside of the South. I think PA(Harrisburg is about 55% Black) and maybe a couple of others are like this.
I met to ask my Grandma why we had some many relatives in Rochester and Syracuse. It always seemed so random to me. Old industrial jobs is what I chalked it up to.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, Anchorage and Fairbanks have a big military presence. This helps to being Black people to Alaska. Fairbanks has had a mayor that is Black and a few NBA players have come from Alaska(Mario Chalmers, Carlos Boozer and Trajan Langdon).
I thought maybe the military was the reason it was left off the top ten but, at the same time how can that really hold true when they are stationed only for a small amount of time. Airforce enlisted are the main ones up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City