Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best regional hot dog style?
New York (Simple - brown mustard, sauerkraut, onions/tomato paste) 36 14.94%
Chicago (poppy seed bun, fresh tomato, big spears of pickle, hot peppers, sweet onion, celery salt, green relish 108 44.81%
Seattle (cream cheese, grilled onions, sriracha, with dogs split) 23 9.54%
Sonoran (bacon-wrapped, beans, grilled onion, tomatoes, mayonnaise/cream sauce) 20 8.30%
Kansas City (sesame seed bun, brown mustard, sauerkraut, melted Swiss cheese) 9 3.73%
Other (Please name) 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 04:17 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,501 times

Advertisements

The Sonoran Dog is spectacular! But if you want a real one you need to head to the real Mexican neighborhoods and get them from a street vendor.

These used to be hard to find up until 10 years ago, then poor attempts at them started popping up in LA and San Francisco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 04:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,094,896 times
Minnesota doesn't even have a style of hot dog – we just throw that garbage away and eat a brat instead.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:44 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
The OP should have included the southern style slaw dog on this poll. It probably wouldn't have gotten any votes, but putting cole slaw on a hot dog is a big thing in the South.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:06 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The OP should have included the southern style slaw dog on this poll. It probably wouldn't have gotten any votes, but putting cole slaw on a hot dog is a big thing in the South.
Hmmm? I realllllyyyy enjoyed pulled pork sandwiches topped with Coleslaw in Memphis. Presuming that you're in Atlanta. Where can I get a slaw dog? It sounds delightful. Or, is this something that you all do at home?

Yeah, I'm stopping at the Publix when I take the children out later. I'm intrigued!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:23 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,314,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
That'll be too controversial for our local hot dog snobs. I thought about also mentioning the Montreal Hot Dog which contains vinegary coleslaw, but I know the Midwestern hot dog tastemakers who run this place might not accept that as an authentic regional hot dog recipe known by enough of the population.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:01 AM

125 posts, read 141,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Oh, the old "Google-cherry-picked-search-term" litmus test. Well, if it passes that, you must be right. My apologies.

Why on God's green earth would anybody be searching "cream cheese hot dog" in google, anyway?

I do? Who made you the arbiter?

Anyway, I guarantee you that about 100% of Americans know what a Chicago-style hot dog is, what Chicago-style pizza is, and some non-negligable majority have heard of Cincinnati Chili. I don't really consider NY to have a style of pizza.

I still say that a hallmark of regional fare is how well-known and closely associated it is with its place. You seem to disagree....probably because you like to pretend that Seattle has a special hot dog.

There are thousands, upon thousands, upon thousands of dishes that satisfy those exact same conditions, that are not "regional varieties" of a given food.

So the many links to national (not in Seattle) websites, videos, etc. (including the Today show) referring to the "Seattle style hot dog" are all completely wrong? Because some guy who knows nothing about Seattle (who incidentally also never heard of a Louie Salad) declares that, in fact, there is no "Seattle-style" hot dog? Got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcv1mo0r_Mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4BG1E_I8MQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy0xqk4vEVg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5bZSgexgSM

Old 07-21-2015, 11:24 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Minnesota doesn't even have a style of hot dog – we just throw that garbage away and eat a brat instead.
...that you bought and learned how to prepare from your neighbor, Wisconsin!

But agreed.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:27 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
That'll be too controversial for our local hot dog snobs. I thought about also mentioning the Montreal Hot Dog which contains vinegary coleslaw, but I know the Midwestern hot dog tastemakers who run this place might not accept that as an authentic regional hot dog recipe known by enough of the population.
You can find slaw dogs all over the place here. It's not that far away from the ubiquitous sauerkraut used on brats (and dogs) across the region.

I like slawdogs and all, but it's inferior to mustard + sauerkraut.

Cabbage and the like are great on hot dogs. I like kimchi, as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:29 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
This thread inspired me to try a Seattle dog. It doesn't sound particularly good, but it is actually awesome. Cream cheese, Siracha and grilled onions - a great way to dress a dog.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:54 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,314,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
You can find slaw dogs all over the place here. It's not that far away from the ubiquitous sauerkraut used on brats (and dogs) across the region.

I like slawdogs and all, but it's inferior to mustard + sauerkraut.

Cabbage and the like are great on hot dogs. I like kimchi, as well.
I like cabbage, sauerkraut, or the more vinegary coleslaw on dogs--but creamy coleslaw isn't my thing. Just like the completo in Chile, too much mayonnaise isn't my hot dog topping of choice.

Japadog in Vancouver BC has a kimchi dog, and they also other dogs with shredded cabbage, though a lot of their offerings get into weirder, more non-hot dog creations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City