Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the best regional hot dog style?
New York (Simple - brown mustard, sauerkraut, onions/tomato paste) 36 14.94%
Chicago (poppy seed bun, fresh tomato, big spears of pickle, hot peppers, sweet onion, celery salt, green relish 108 44.81%
Seattle (cream cheese, grilled onions, sriracha, with dogs split) 23 9.54%
Sonoran (bacon-wrapped, beans, grilled onion, tomatoes, mayonnaise/cream sauce) 20 8.30%
Kansas City (sesame seed bun, brown mustard, sauerkraut, melted Swiss cheese) 9 3.73%
Other (Please name) 45 18.67%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,246,629 times

Advertisements

The Pittsburgh dog has coleslaw on it too. Even burgers and fries over them.

https://www.applegate.com/recipes/pittsburgh-dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 10:37 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,409,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol15g View Post
Chicago hot dog because no hot dog can beat a Vienna Beef hot dog even with nothing on it.
Totally agree. Vienna Beef is the best hot dog IMO period. Nathan's is decent too. Outside of that, most other hot dog brands are just not appealing to me. Don't get me started on Oscar Mayer or Ballpark.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:02 AM

597 posts, read 450,077 times
Carolina Style. Mustard, Chili, Slaw, and Onions. Preferably with a toasted bun.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:57 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,715,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Interesting. I never saw Seattle as a "hot dog" city. I heard "Sriracha" and immediately thought it was invented by some hipster post 2010. I still need to make it out to Seattle and see a Mariners game, they should definitely have them there. I'll give it a try for sure.
Yeah, they do sell them at Safeco Field and I think they're actually decent. But the best versions by far are from the street vendors that set up shop in nightlife areas. Those guys have turned it into an artform.

The most expensive ($18) and ridiculous Seattle Dog can be found at the high-end cocktail lounge Deep Dive. In addition to cream cheese and onions, it's topped with caviar. I do not recommend this version - I just find it hilarious that there are wealthy Amazon employees paying $20 for a hot dog.

https://www.king5.com/article/entert.../281-597687191

Old 06-26-2019, 11:23 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Sonoran is my favorite on the list. Decadent.

My favorite is from Rhode Island (and S.E. Mass.). The "New York System" or "Coney Island" dog. The names are a marketing ploy from early 1900s to associate the RI dogs with Coney Island (even though they're entirely different). From Wikipedia: "
The traditional wiener is made with a small, thin hot dog made of veal and pork, giving it a different taste from a traditional beef hot dog, served in a steamed bun, and topped with celery salt, yellow mustard, chopped onions, and a seasoned meat sauce."

There's some nostalgia playing into my feelings for it, but it's definitely an excellent dog.

Huh. In that geography, I think you're just as likely to run into a chili dog made with a cheap blended beef & pork floor scrapings (Kayem Fenway Frank quality level) that has been sitting in a hot water bath for 6 hours topped with institutional canned/bag chili and some chopped onion.

If you want something with any flavor in Southeastern Massachusetts (aka West Portugal), it's linguica. A pork sausage with garlic, paprika, oregano, and vinegar.

In that part of the world, you're also always going to get a New England-style hot dog bun.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:09 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Chicago.

I don't eat pickles, so I leave those off. I'll usually do a diced tomato if I can. I go light on the mustard. You absolutely must have sport peppers, celery salt, and the neon green relish.

I generally just eat ketchup and onions.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,393,115 times
Detroit!

Old 06-26-2019, 12:23 PM

14,183 posts, read 9,080,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Chicago.

I don't eat pickles, so I leave those off. I'll usually do a diced tomato if I can. I go light on the mustard. You absolutely must have sport peppers, celery salt, and the neon green relish.

I generally just eat ketchup and onions.
Ketchup, of course, is an absolute no-no on a Chicago hot dog.

I voted for Chicago a while back, but I think I forgot to note that I was surprised to see a "Kansas City-style" hot dog on this list. I never ran into one of these creatures in the 17 years I lived there (birth to college), nor do I recall having seen a place that serves them on my periodic trips Back Home since then.

I will admit, however, that it sounds like a variety I would enjoy.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:36 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh. In that geography, I think you're just as likely to run into a chili dog made with a cheap blended beef & pork floor scrapings (Kayem Fenway Frank quality level) that has been sitting in a hot water bath for 6 hours topped with institutional canned/bag chili and some chopped onion.
There's a chance of that, but Olneyville NY System is the real deal with a locally made all natural casing dog. Grahams in Fall River doesn't nail the NY System, most of their stuff is pretty good as well. Stick to the places with a reputation and you're fine - kind of like anything else.

Quote:
If you want something with any flavor in Southeastern Massachusetts (aka West Portugal), it's linguica. A pork sausage with garlic, paprika, oregano, and vinegar.
I'm a chourico fan myself. Linguica is blander and a bit milder. They sell Gaspar's at the stop and shops here in Somerville which I appreciate.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:05 AM

23,580 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Sounds horrible, you really have been going to the wrong places!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
There's a chance of that, but Olneyville NY System is the real deal with a locally made all natural casing dog. Grahams in Fall River doesn't nail the NY System, most of their stuff is pretty good as well. Stick to the places with a reputation and you're fine - kind of like anything else.

Olneyville didn't do it for me, although I've just been to the one on Reservoir Ave. not the original. Wein-o-rama on Oaklawn Ave. in Cranston is the real deal for weiners (as they are most commonly referred to).

Geoff do me a favor and pay a visit to Eats in Seekonk next time you are trekking back and forth. It's right on Rte. 6, I guarantee you will be changing your tune.

Last edited by massnative71; 06-28-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City