Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City?
New York 17 50.00%
Los Angeles 2 5.88%
Miami 2 5.88%
San Francisco 4 11.76%
Washington 3 8.82%
San Diego 3 8.82%
Seattle 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:57 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Philly is kind of dirty and can get ghetto/sketchy really quick....On the other hand Chicago (while it has legit crime issues) is very clean and most of the crime is isolated in certain neighborhoods that a Middle Class and above person would never go to....

"Block by Block" crime cities always feel much scarier than "Neighborhood by Neighborhood" cities for obvious reasons.....So you imo feel much safer walking around in a typical Chicago neighborhood compared to Philly (through walking around a 3AM is not that smart of a move in either place).....

I find the quality of housing to be newer/superior in Chicago aswell....
Either you have never been to Phila. or you haven't visited it in, at least, 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah while I agree with what the poster on page 1 said about Philly, it would be too much of a shock for someone new to America.
Really? With money being no object for the OP, she could live in a great Phila. neighborhood for years and never touch any bad part of the city.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Lol oh wise ny to chi, how did you determine that philly is block by block but Chicago is neighborhood by neighborhood? Do we need to look at crime maps? How do we even trust Chicagos stats when the city doesn't follow the FBI standards that nearly every other city follows when reporting crime statistics.

Chicago crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

Philadelphia PA crime rates and statistics - NeighborhoodScout

I actually sort of think that Phillys ghettos have a much better chance of improving for a number of reasons over the course of the next few decades. Also the mayor-elect is saying they are bringing back City wide street sweepers. Which is long overdue..

On another note, no doubt midtown is where people wanna be in NYC but I actually kind of the less busy parts more. I like the tightness of the LES, Williamburg has good energy these days, and some parts of Harlem are really charming in my opinion.
DP, I laughed a bit when you said Philly's "mayor elect". Technically he only won the Dem primary; there's still the general election in Nov. But,yes, he's shoe-in to win that.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:15 PM

387 posts, read 356,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Either you have never been to Phila. or you haven't visited it in, at least, 20 years.

Has it gotten alot better lately??

I was last there about 3-4 years ago and while it has awesome sights in the Center City still looked a bit sketchy....

Old 07-21-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleorPhiladelphia View Post
What about Chicago?

Also, Chicago is just as dirty and dangerous as Philadelphia. Love both cities.

Downtown and the North Side of Chicago are some of the cleanest large urban areas in all of the US....

Philly (and all other North East Cities) are much dirtier and more "edgy" than Chicago....Not even a comparison....The only city in the Northeast that could rival Chicago for cleanliness is maybe DC (haven't been to Boston in forever so I can't comment on it)....Downtown Chicago is extremely clean and new looking...

Chicago is (or at least it feels) much cleaner than NYC, Baltimore, Philadelphia etc.

Chicago also has a lower violent and property crime rate than does Philadelphia...

Old 07-21-2015, 05:37 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:

Chicago is (or at least it feels) much cleaner than NYC, Baltimore, Philadelphia etc.

Chicago also has a lower violent and property crime rate than does Philadelphia...
Chicago is certainly a much newer place overall, as it's about 100 years younger than the big East Coast cities, but Philadelphia would definitely offer a more "old world," historical vibe that Europeans would find more familiar.

Also, if there's any difference in terms of crime in Philly/Chicago, it's negligible.

And speaking of Chicago crime, unfortunately I don't think I've heard about any big city in the news lately for violent crime as much as I have there:

Gangs and guns fuel Chicago

Certainly summer is known to bring more violent crime across many large cities, Philly included, but the situation in Chicago seems to be particularly disconcerting.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Has it gotten alot better lately??

I was last there about 3-4 years ago and while it has awesome sights in the Center City still looked a bit sketchy....
Yes. The pace of construction has picked up not only in Center City but in University City and adjacent neighborhoods where there is a lot of residential housing being built.

The skyline will look different in a year or two.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Chicago is certainly a much newer place overall, as it's about 100 years younger than the big East Coast cities, but Philadelphia would definitely offer a more "old world," historical vibe that Europeans would find more familiar.

Also, if there's any difference in terms of crime in Philly/Chicago, it's negligible.

And speaking of Chicago crime, unfortunately I don't think I've heard about any big city in the news lately for violent crime as much as I have there:

Gangs and guns fuel Chicago

That's only because OBAMMMMAAA is from there and thus it makes a good Right Wing Tea Bagger talking point.....If Obama was from Baltimore we would be hearing from the Right Wing non stop about how bad Baltimore is (which would be more accurate since Baltimore is alot more dangerous than Chicago), but it's just typical Tea Bagger nonsense and doesn't reflect reality....

As far as crime stats goes Chicago....Chicago is average....Nothing particularly dangerous about it....At least compared to many other cities/metro areas...NYC, San Fran, Boston, LA and San Diego are the only major important urban areas that are noticeably safer.....

For instance, nearby Indianapolis and Milwaukee have a lot worse crime than Chicago, yet the Right Wing is silent on the crime situation in those cities....because OBAMMMAAAA isn't from either of them.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Certainly summer is known to bring more violent crime across many large cities, Philly included, but the situation in Chicago seems to be particularly disconcerting.
Compared to some cities the "situation" in Chicago is nothing.....Hell compared to some areas in a nearby 150-250 mile radius (Indy, Milwaukee, St Louis), Chicago is nothing...

Philly is either about equal or slightly higher in crime than Chicago is for most years....

Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Philly is either about equal or slightly higher in crime than Chicago is for most years....
statistically yes,but again can you trust the stats?

The Truth About Chicago

this is literally the last thing this thread needs to talk about though..

Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 PM

36 posts, read 35,572 times
Quote:
Downtown and the North Side of Chicago are some of the cleanest large urban areas in all of the US....

Philly (and all other North East Cities) are much dirtier and more "edgy" than Chicago....Not even a comparison....The only city in the Northeast that could rival Chicago for cleanliness is maybe DC (haven't been to Boston in forever so I can't comment on it)....Downtown Chicago is extremely clean and new looking...

Theres more to Chicago than downtown. Most of the Southside is pretty sketchy, keyword being most, and it covers a bigger area than most other cities do.

Chicago and Philadelphia crime is extremely close as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City