Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston vs Dallas. Better reputation?
Houston 83 25.38%
Dallas 195 59.63%
Draw 49 14.98%
Voters: 327. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:02 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,510,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So what? You could say the safe neighborhoods in Detroit (and there are safe neighborhoods there) are just as safe as the safe neighborhoods elsewhere in Michigan. Doesn't change the fact that it's still Detroit.
If you check out the crime rates of the 2 metros you will find very little difference in the overall crime rates. In fact you will see that in many categories DFW has higher rates for certain crimes such as sexual assault, Houston has more robberies and murders but not by much. In Houston the higher murder rate is most likely due to a greater amount of smuggling of drugs and people in this area(that's just my empirical observation) but of course that can shift to any location in Texas or elsewhere at just about any time. So unless you are a drug dealer or a coyote you are just as safe or unsafe in Houston as you would be in DFW in the vast majority of either Metro..

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Houston-Texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Dallas-Texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...rth-Texas.html

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...tables/table-6

Last edited by Jack Lance; 07-28-2015 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:12 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,765,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Same here besides maybe parts of Africa since Atlanta and Houston are the African Meccas alone with DC and NYC, Dallas is known a lot more than Houston for example the show Dallas, also did you just say Atlanta is where Nelson Mandela or Ghandi was born? Not saying MlLwasnt great but I think saying MLK was the greatest civil rights person in wrong he is define fly the top 2 in civil rights for black people, but he was inspired by Ghandi wasn't he and unlike MLK Ghandi is known world wide MLK is not, he is the greatest American civil rights leader and arguably the greatest in North America but the world, no. Living Africa when you think of civil rights you think of Nelson Mandela, your local civil rights people if any, Ghandi and the. Maybe MLK and a few others.
A quick note, outside Nigerians, Dallas is a lot larger of a magnent for African immigrants than Houston. Please see the data below. In 2013, here is where the immigrants from Africa came:

International Immigrants from Africa by MSA/CSA (over 2k listed):

New York: 13,983
Washington/Baltimore: 12,851
Dallas: 3,968
Atlanta: 3,893
Boston: 3,807
Los Angeles/Riverside: 3,710
Minneapolis: 3,685
Houston: 3,345
Philadelphia: 3,180
Seattle: 2,685
Chicago: 2,302

2013: MSA/CSA International Immigration Stats

Old 07-29-2015, 03:34 PM

632 posts, read 933,675 times
I think Dallas is a lot more synonymous with the Texas image/stereotype (cowboy hats, bbq, southern drawl) until you actually visit. Then you realize it's a fairly cosmopolitan city with diverse restaurants, good shopping, and modern architecture (although the downtown skyline and other parts of the metro still look like a scene from the 1980's). The first time I went to Dallas a friend and I were walking around downtown. We were dressed in long sleeved button up shirts and nice jeans, but got refused entry into a restaurant/bar because we had on tennis shoes. I was shocked at how formal the scene was there.

Houston on the other hand doesn't have much of an image (other than maybe oil) so you don't know what to expect. Then, to the first time visitor it seems like a vast, disjointed city with an modern, almost futuristic looking, buildings in a downtown devoid of any life.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:22 PM

16,110 posts, read 10,775,000 times
If Houston didn't exist, would you miss it?

Old 07-30-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I would miss both DFW and Houston if they didnt exist.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Economically you would miss it. Especially if you drive a car or use electricity. Then there's the worlds largest medical center. A lot of people would miss that. One of the busiest ports in the world... Yeah I think you would miss it unless you choose to live off the grid.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
As a Canadian I would say it's a draw but only because neither one has a good reputation.
I don't mean to be offensive but it's just a fact.
It is true.
I have heard that.
From people who have never been here.

I have lived and traveled all over the world. Since I was a kid. I can live anywhere I want and I choose the Dallas area. I know many people with the same circumstances. Why? This is a pretty cool place to live.
Thankfully, we're not stuck on what ignorami say.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:39 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,907,002 times
This is what I ate for lunch today at San Jose Mexican restaurant just west of Houston. Very delicious authentic Mexican food.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img913/2632/GCtAkw.jpg

Old 07-31-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
This is what I ate for lunch today at San Jose Mexican restaurant just west of Houston. Very delicious authentic Mexican food.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img913/2632/GCtAkw.jpg
That's a crunchy taco. Tex Mex, not Mexican.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:44 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,907,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
That's a crunchy taco. Tex Mex, not Mexican.
Thanks for the insight, but very good nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City