Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City for Public Transportation?
New York 52 58.43%
D.C. 7 7.87%
Chicago 8 8.99%
San Francisco 3 3.37%
Atlanta 3 3.37%
Los Angeles 0 0%
Philadelphia 5 5.62%
Seattle 2 2.25%
Denver 1 1.12%
Other (Post It!) 8 8.99%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 AM

676 posts, read 961,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Philly is rolling out smart cards as well. They will go from tokens to smart cards. NYC might be the last out of the big systems to roll out smart cards, because the system is huge and it would take years to switch.
I think NYC had a sort of "first-mover" problem; they spent so much time and money getting those farecards/readers before there was better technology available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
That's not entirely accurate. Clearly, Chicago and D.C. are above Boston, Philly and SF...just nowhere as big of a gap as NYC to everywhere else. The argument, to keep this rehashed thread alive and entertain our debating skills, is what order is it after NYC? D.C. over Chicago or Chicago over D.C.? Per capita and modernity wise, D.C. is a heavy hitter. But Chicago is bigger and 24/7 on some lines. See the debate now?

Then after that, what's the exact order between the slightly lesser tier of Boston, Philly and SF? Each has significant pluses and minuses. If anything, arguing the tiers after NYC is more fun. NYC is like the Superman of superheroes in this discussion--unbeatable and boring. Give me an Arrow vs Batman type of battle anyday lol.
Sounds like the topic for a new thread to me...

Old 07-29-2015, 08:29 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,780 times
I'm curious: What's the cab situation like in D.C.? I'm not here to debate whether or not cabs are public transport or not. I do consider them a complement to public transport, however. Nor am I trying to bring one city down a notch and elevate another.

I love the ability to flag down a cab and be dropped off in front of my destination.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:34 AM

251 posts, read 283,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Philly is rolling out smart cards as well. They will go from tokens to smart cards. NYC might be the last out of the big systems to roll out smart cards, because the system is huge and it would take years and half a billion dollars to switch.
Thanks for the info on Philly. Maybe they will have 'em first, It's ridiculous how long simple changes can take here smh

Old 07-29-2015, 08:38 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
I think NYC had a sort of "first-mover" problem; they spent so much time and money getting those farecards/readers before there was better technology available.
To be honest NYC couldn't switch to regular RFID smart cards before anyway, until NFC RFID cards were out. The grand plan is to switch everything in NYC to these NFC RFIDs, starting from buses, then subways, then vending machines, and then public school IDs that would act as both attendance takers during school classes and school subway/bus passes for students, eventually might even use them as a key to open up your apartment building/bank branch front doors. NFC RFIDs are compatible with NFC cell phones as well (Android and Apple), and MTA already said they are only considering the smart cards that come with a phone app, so you could use your phone as well.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:04 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Haha I'm loving it; it's been super informative.
It never gets old Titan, start whatever thread would interest you.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:24 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,132 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
I'm curious: What's the cab situation like in D.C.? I'm not here to debate whether or not cabs are public transport or not. I do consider them a complement to public transport, however. Nor am I trying to bring one city down a notch and elevate another.

I love the ability to flag down a cab and be dropped off in front of my destination.

The most credible numbers I could come up with regarding taxi cabs:

Number of "city" taxi cabs:

New York, NY
-13,237 taxis (with 40,000 other vehicles for hire)
Washington DC- 7,200 taxis (no count on other vehicles for hire)
Chicago- 6,650 taxis (no count other vehicles for hire)
Los Angeles- 2,300 taxis (no count other vehicles for hire)
Houston, Texas 2,245 taxis
San Francisco- 1,825 taxis
Atlanta- 1,550 taxis
Boston- 1,494 taxis (10,000+ other vehicles for hire)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxica..._United_States

This probably applies for many cities, but I know here in DC we also have numerous taxi corporations throughout MD/VA on both sides of the river that most definitely raise the DC count, but are not actual DCTC taxis.

Also Philadelphia I'm sure is up there in the top 5 but missing from the list of someone has those numbers please post.

Last edited by the resident09; 07-29-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The most credible numbers I could come up with regarding taxi cabs:

Number of "city" taxi cabs:

New York, NY -13,237 taxis (with 40,000 other vehicles for hire)
Washington DC- 7,200 taxis (no count on other vehicles for hire)
Chicago- 6,650 taxis (no count other vehicles for hire)
Los Angeles- 2,300 taxis (no count other vehicles for hire)
Houston, Texas 2,245 taxis
San Francisco- 1,825 taxis
Atlanta- 1,550 taxis
Boston- 1,494 taxis (10,000+ other vehicles for hire)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxica..._United_States

This probably applies for many cities, but I know here in DC we also have numerous taxi corporations throughout MD/VA on both sides of the river that most definitely raise the DC count here, but are not actual DCTC taxis.
It's pretty easy to flag a cab in DC in my experience, but that's probably more true in the tourist/convention areas and the airport than anywhere else.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:57 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,856 times
DC doesn't have multiples more taxis than Boston or SF. I think the stat must be confusing taxi drivers with actual taxis? I just looked it up and there is not a medallion system in DC...so I guess it's a free for all? Interesting to see what medallions cost in each city and if pricing is regulated - that can sometimes clue you in to taxi demand. Boston is probably slightly better than SF or DC for hailing, and SF is probably slightly better than DC. Philly has a ways to go, and those cabs are often *old* and take cash only (mirrors its transit that takes token). NYC and Chicago are the best cab cities for sure. SF is by far the best city for Uber/Lyft/Sidecar/about 3 other apps used by residents here, including 2 for cabs alone (in fact one of the cab companies programmed with one of the apps and rebranded to have the same name).

Anyway, cabs are definitely part of public transport.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:12 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's fair game since it's being compared to other cities that have light rail. It's just another factor to consider.
NYC does have light rail. It isn't the main mode of rail transit, to be sure, but HBLR + Newark City Subway have strong ridership, and HBLR is being expanded.

And it's fairly high quality light rail, as it's 90% grade separated, with large segments running in subways or on elevated track. It isn't a bus on tracks stopping in traffic like much of the light rail in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City