Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2023, 03:50 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,250,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Battle of the Dutch Reformed:

Holland, MI or Pella, IA
I have visited Holland but not Pella, so my answer is biased. But Holland appeals more as it isn't quite as small and insular, and has a scenic location on Lake Michigan. Despite being in a slow growing state the area has been seeing a lot of recent development.

I'll reuse the last post's cities rather than make a new choice - Arcadia CA or White Plains NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 06:08 PM

6,445 posts, read 5,114,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I have visited Holland but not Pella, so my answer is biased. But Holland appeals more as it isn't quite as small and insular, and has a scenic location on Lake Michigan. Despite being in a slow growing state the area has been seeing a lot of recent development.

I'll reuse the last post's cities rather than make a new choice - Arcadia CA or White Plains NY?
White Plains, it has a pretty big downtown and is a job center in its own right. Arcadia looks indistinguishable to me from any other LA suburb --- it has a downtown but it looks like it's just outlet stores and standard one-story retail, meh.

I may end up making this choice, these are the locations of two companies I'm interviewing with:

Houston, TX or Fairfax, VA?

Old 03-19-2023, 07:01 PM

915 posts, read 499,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
White Plains, it has a pretty big downtown and is a job center in its own right. Arcadia looks indistinguishable to me from any other LA suburb --- it has a downtown but it looks like it's just outlet stores and standard one-story retail, meh.

I may end up making this choice, these are the locations of two companies I'm interviewing with:

Houston, TX or Fairfax, VA?
Houston for me. It’s a big city and has a lot of amenities that can’t be found in a suburb like Fairfax. Also the diversity, good food, low COL, and warm weather make Houston nice to me.

Seattle, WA vs Boston, MA

Old 03-19-2023, 07:13 PM

2,383 posts, read 2,374,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Houston for me. It’s a big city and has a lot of amenities that can’t be found in a suburb like Fairfax. Also the diversity, good food, low COL, and warm weather make Houston nice to me.

Seattle, WA vs Boston, MA
Seattle.

Tough one because Boston is a much better city, but Seattle has much better outdoor recreation and I’d argue better weather. Both are great, but I’ll take Seattle.

Los Angeles or Miami

Old 03-19-2023, 08:39 PM

9,733 posts, read 9,517,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Seattle.

Tough one because Boston is a much better city, but Seattle has much better outdoor recreation and I’d argue better weather. Both are great, but I’ll take Seattle.

Los Angeles or Miami
Los Angeles due to having more progressive policies. I also like the urban development going on. Seems like both could use help cleaning up homeless issues.

Quincy, IL or St. George, UT?

Old 03-20-2023, 03:49 AM

3,509 posts, read 3,437,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Los Angeles due to having more progressive policies. I also like the urban development going on. Seems like both could use help cleaning up homeless issues.

Quincy, IL or St. George, UT?
Neither of those places sound amazing. And I have big concerns Saint George is mainly a 'Mormon retirement community', with not a lot going on there. I guess I'll pick Quincy, since I always liked the look of its downtown. I wish it had a little more going on, and it could find a way to stabilize and even slightly grow back up in population again. Since it appears Quincy has had a very slight population decline, for some time.

Eau Claire, WI, or La Crosse, WI?

Old 03-20-2023, 07:01 AM

4,442 posts, read 4,354,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Neither of those places sound amazing. And I have big concerns Saint George is mainly a 'Mormon retirement community', with not a lot going on there. I guess I'll pick Quincy, since I always liked the look of its downtown. I wish it had a little more going on, and it could find a way to stabilize and even slightly grow back up in population again. Since it appears Quincy has had a very slight population decline, for some time.

Eau Claire, WI, or La Crosse, WI?
Close one but I think I'll go with La Crosse WI. The downtown has better architecture and seems to have more activity. It is also in the center of the driftless area which I love.

Twin Falls ID vs Sioux Falls SD?

Old 03-20-2023, 07:51 AM

2,572 posts, read 2,915,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Close one but I think I'll go with La Crosse WI. The downtown has better architecture and seems to have more activity. It is also in the center of the driftless area which I love.

Twin Falls ID vs Sioux Falls SD?
Sioux Falls... larger city/metro with more jobs/amenities and cultural offerings. If Twin Falls were closer to Boise it may be more attractive but a 2 hour distance is still a bit much for regular access.

Sweet 16 NCAA Tournament match-up:

Manhattan, KS or East Lansing, MI?

Old 03-20-2023, 11:02 AM

13,841 posts, read 8,122,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Manhattan, KS or East Lansing, MI?
This is close because I like Michigan and the Lansing area a lot; but I'll go with Manhattan because I have some personal connections in the area.

Tampa, Florida or Phoenix, Arizona?

Old 03-20-2023, 10:26 PM

3,509 posts, read 3,437,994 times
Anyway to continue on this US city/town, vs. a similarly named place in within the Americas or Carribean country idea: Kingston, Jamaica, or Kingston, NY?

Last edited by mjlo; 03-21-2023 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: North American cities only
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City