Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2023, 01:32 PM

6,453 posts, read 5,122,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver. I love the dry climate and the freedom to still drive a car when I need to. Seattle's beautiful, but the people are cold, the transportation infrastructure and traffic suck, and the weather is too gloomy for most of the year (but when it does get above 90 the place is a sauna).

Toledo, OH, or Oakland, CA?
Oakland is not THAT dilapidated, lol. Crime rates might be similar though, if only because Toledo has gotten so depopulated. Maybe Oakland is higher actually, I can't remember specifically seeing Toledo on one of those "most homicides per capita" lists.

I'll pick Oakland for the transit, economy, food scene, friends in the area, and immediate proximity to SF and Berkeley. If I had like a 3- to 6-month job contract though, and could pick either location, I'd take the job in Toledo for the new experience and to explore Detroit.

More even matchup within the same states: Athens, OH or Chico, CA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 10:31 AM

4,445 posts, read 4,359,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Oakland is not THAT dilapidated, lol. Crime rates might be similar though, if only because Toledo has gotten so depopulated. Maybe Oakland is higher actually, I can't remember specifically seeing Toledo on one of those "most homicides per capita" lists.

I'll pick Oakland for the transit, economy, food scene, friends in the area, and immediate proximity to SF and Berkeley. If I had like a 3- to 6-month job contract though, and could pick either location, I'd take the job in Toledo for the new experience and to explore Detroit.

More even matchup within the same states: Athens, OH or Chico, CA?
I’ll take Chico. I would say it offers more overall and is in a more prosperous environment.

Bellingham WA or Medford OR?

Old 05-10-2023, 11:17 AM

2,576 posts, read 2,918,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I’ll take Chico. I would say it offers more overall and is in a more prosperous environment.

Bellingham WA or Medford OR?
Bellingham... I prefer Medford's climate but Bellingham's location is much more appealing given its proximity to Seattle and Vancouver. Medford is far too isolated from other major cities for my liking.

Lamar, CO or Craig, CO?

Old 05-10-2023, 11:19 AM

10,140 posts, read 14,587,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Bellingham... I prefer Medford's climate but Bellingham's location is much more appealing given its proximity to Seattle and Vancouver. Medford is far too isolated from other major cities for my liking.

Lamar, CO or Craig, CO?
Craig, CO. Closer to the rockies and more beautiful area. Lamar is too isolated on the plains.

Louisville, KY or Birmingham, AL?

Old 05-10-2023, 02:14 PM

16,608 posts, read 10,774,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Craig, CO. Closer to the rockies and more beautiful area. Lamar is too isolated on the plains.

Louisville, KY or Birmingham, AL?
I'm going to go with Louisville, mainly because it has more of a four-season climate. But I've heard that Birmingham has been getting better, so if the trend continues I might want to reconsider in the future.

Castle Rock, CO or Spring Hill, TN?

Old 05-10-2023, 09:55 PM

9,739 posts, read 9,527,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I'm going to go with Louisville, mainly because it has more of a four-season climate. But I've heard that Birmingham has been getting better, so if the trend continues I might want to reconsider in the future.

Castle Rock, CO or Spring Hill, TN?
Spring Hillfor sure. The area is more integrated and welcoming to minorities. The city is building a new dowtown and several mixed use developments. It will probably look like Cool Springs. Now for the infrastructure....

Dalton, GA or Richmond, KY?

Old 05-11-2023, 07:14 AM

13,846 posts, read 8,134,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Dalton, GA or Richmond, KY?
I'd go with Richmond. Even though Dalton is in a more desirable region, has milder winters, and is closer to family; it has changed a lot over the past 25 years or so with the massive Hispanic influx, completely altering the character and feel of the area. Richmond has a lot of positives. It's a college town in a pleasant and scenic region and within striking distance of what I would consider a major city (Lexington).

Buckhannon, West Virginia or Mount Pleasant, Iowa?

Old 05-11-2023, 12:51 PM

16,608 posts, read 10,774,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'd go with Richmond. Even though Dalton is in a more desirable region, has milder winters, and is closer to family; it has changed a lot over the past 25 years or so with the massive Hispanic influx, completely altering the character and feel of the area. Richmond has a lot of positives. It's a college town in a pleasant and scenic region and within striking distance of what I would consider a major city (Lexington).

Buckhannon, West Virginia or Mount Pleasant, Iowa?
It might surprise you to learn that I've not only heard of Buckhannon, I've actually been there. Several decades ago, I visited the town for a work project. It's a pretty nice place in a very scenic part of the country. It's way too isolated for my tastes, but then again, so is Mount Pleasant, Iowa. And if I'm going to be isolated, I'd rather it be where the scenery is prettier.

Oak Hill, WV or Salina, KS?

Old 05-11-2023, 09:58 PM

3,959 posts, read 2,271,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
It might surprise you to learn that I've not only heard of Buckhannon, I've actually been there. Several decades ago, I visited the town for a work project. It's a pretty nice place in a very scenic part of the country. It's way too isolated for my tastes, but then again, so is Mount Pleasant, Iowa. And if I'm going to be isolated, I'd rather it be where the scenery is prettier.

Oak Hill, WV or Salina, KS?
Oak Hill. Mansfield, OH or Lima OH?

Old 05-12-2023, 04:52 AM

2,576 posts, read 2,918,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Oak Hill. Mansfield, OH or Lima OH?
Two small cities that have more similarities than I initially realized.

I'll choose Mansfield as its a little larger and more prosperous and slightly better connected to Columbus/Akron than Lima is to Toledo/Dayton.

Columbia, MO or Fayetteville, AR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City